Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I've been listening to the remainder of this set, and some marvelous works and performances.

I'll just list the works I've listened to over the week:

Duo for Two Flutes in G major, WoO26  (lovely, short work.  Paging Karl here!  :))

Six Themes & Variations for Flute and Piano, Op. 105 (of which, a very sublime 4th T&V, named "The Last Rose of Summer")

Ten Themes & Variations for Flute and Piano, Op. 107  (both sets of the T & V for flute and piano are wonderfully varied, gorgeously played.)

Trio for piano, flute & bassoon in G major WoO37 (love it!)

Sonata for horn & piano in F major, Op. 17 (fantastic!)

Sextet for 2 horns, 2 violins, viola and cello in E flat, Op. 81b (a beauty!)

Quintet for piano, horn, clarinet, oboe & bassoon in E flat, Op. 16 (another gem!)

Serenade for flute, violin & viola in D major, Op. 25  (great instrument mix, really enjoy this one)

4 works for Mandolin & piano (WoO43a&b, WoO44a&b)  (perhaps, at least for me, the least interesting works in this box set)

Trio for Clarinet, piano & cello in B flat major, Op. 11 (an early masterpiece, and it is almost equally convincing in the piano trio format)

Septet for violin, viola, cello, double bass, horn, clarinet & bassoon in E flat major, Op. 20 (One of LVB's first 'major greatest hits', very popular in his day.  The original form is much more convincing than the transcription for piano trio.  Nevertheless, it is still highly enjoyable in the piano trio format)

Fugue for String Quintet in D major, Op. 137 (very short, but enjoyable)

Would love to hear people's thoughts on these works?  :)

[asin]B000001GZH[/asin]

The new erato

Just send the set to me and I will give you my opinion.

Brahmsian

Quote from: The new erato on November 29, 2013, 09:46:44 AM
Just send the set to me and I will give you my opinion.

I would, but I like it.  :D

Brahmsian

Earlier this afternoon, listened to some of these 'lesser known' string chamber works of Beethoven:

Performed by members of the Hagen Quartet, and Alois Posch on the double bass:

Praeludium and Fugue for 2 violins & cello in E minor, Hess 29 (a splendid piece!)

*Six Minuets for 2 violins & double bass, WoO9
*Six Landler for 2 violins & double bass, WoO15

*Love the texture and sonorities of this chamber combination.  :)

Duo for Viola & Cello in E flat major "Duet with Obbligato Eyeglasses", WoO32 (a piece I've always enjoyed!)  :)

Duo for 2 Violins in A major, WoO34 (way too short!)  ;D
Canon for 2 Violins in A major, WoO35 (way too short!)  :D

[asin]B000001GZH[/asin]

George

Ray,

The Historical Box in that set and the Piano Works set (has all the non-sonata piano stuff) are two favorites of mine. The wind box and the concerto boxes are lovely too.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on November 29, 2013, 06:22:43 PM
Ray,

The Historical Box in that set and the Piano Works set (has all the non-sonata piano stuff) are two favorites of mine. The wind box and the concerto boxes are lovely too.

Thanks, George.

Cool!  :) I only have the miscellaneous Chamber Music box and the Violin Sonatas box (Argerich/Kremer).

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 29, 2013, 06:44:45 PM
Thanks, George.

Cool!  :) I only have the miscellaneous Chamber Music box and the Violin Sonatas box (Argerich/Kremer).

Sorry, I thought you recently got the complete set! That's what I get for sticking my head in a long running thread without reading backwards a bit.  :-[

Brahmsian

Quote from: George on November 29, 2013, 06:47:28 PM
Sorry, I thought you recently got the complete set! That's what I get for sticking my head in a long running thread without reading backwards a bit.  :-[

;D  I wish I had that complete set.   :)  Do you?

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 29, 2013, 06:48:51 PM
;D  I wish I had that complete set.   :)  Do you?

No, I have just the four volumes I mentioned. (I also technically have the Piano Sonata one, as it is the same performances and mastering in the stereo Kempff set.)

Wanderer

Glad you're enjoying those sets, Ray! There are many "wow" moments in obscure Beethoven and those DG Beethoven Edition sets hold many riches. Grab whatever else you may find and enjoy!

Brahmsian

Happy Birthday (today or tomorrow), Herr "Hair" Ludwig!

Listening to The Creatures of Prometheus.  Fantastic!  :)

[asin]B0007XTNZ8[/asin]

Brahmsian

Happy Birthday (today and yesterday), Herr "Hair" Ludwig!  Since it is still not clear whether his birthday was on the 16th or 17th.  Again, listening to this magnificent work.

Listening to The Creatures of Prometheus

[asin]B0007XTNZ8[/asin]

PS - If you enjoy middle period, high horsepower Beethoven, you may just enjoy this work!  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 17, 2013, 07:11:33 AM
Listening to The Creatures of Prometheus

Good idea, Nut; it's been years since I last listened to that. I'll play it after dinner tonight.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

I'm splitting my traditional nine-symphonies-marathon over two days this year, because I didn't realize it was his birthday yesterday until 2 p.m. But yesterday got in 1-5 and am now working on 6-9!

Sergeant Rock

I heard 6 and 8 yesterday (Harnoncourt) and was planning on Barenboim's Ninth but ran out of time. I'll try to fit it in after The Creatures.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

A friend emailed this to me yesterday:

Sarge

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2013, 07:48:54 AM

Completely OT and utterly irrelevant, but as a voracious Peanuts reader in my youth this is the first time in my recollection I've ever seen a Peanut with their back to the reader.

Anyhoo, where were we...oh, yes, Beethoven...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 17, 2013, 07:48:54 AM
A friend emailed this to me yesterday:

Sarge

Back in the 1950's, I kept wondering about this Bee Thohven because of Peanuts!

Eventually I found out about him!   :D
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Bogey

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 18, 2013, 04:42:16 PM

[asin]B000001GZH[/asin]

One of the best sets ever put together, IMO, Ray.

Oh, and here's what is left of the table after catching your post.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot