Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

Started by BachQ, April 06, 2007, 03:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Jo498 on May 03, 2015, 03:49:04 AM
What about op.28? This is also comparably conventional but IMO much nicer.

Harold Truscott has a lovely analysis of just how unusual and unconventional Op. 28 is in The Beethoven Companion—I mean his chapter is problematic in all sorts of ways, but with that sonata he's really on point. I might try to find it later

NJ Joe

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on May 03, 2015, 03:41:50 AM
This is the kind of comment that makes me still grateful for the existence of this board, even after all the...name-your-top-43-xylophone-concertos-written-in-1629 clutter.

I had just come up with my 43rd, and was about to post my list over on the "Xylophone:  Master Instrument of Them All" board.

And now I'm not going to do it.

Thanks a lot.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Brian

I imagine Op. 28 must be difficult to play to satisfaction, because in most performances I've heard, the opening "allegro" and following "andante" are very close or almost identical in tempo. I may have heard an eccentric reading or two where the first movement is slower.

Jo498

But in the first movements op.28 whole 3/4-bars are probably "felt" as the (slowish) beat (if one counts quarters it's very fast, similarly to the Eroica first movement). Whereas it would be quarters or even eighth notes in the andante.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: amw on May 01, 2015, 06:16:12 PM
Other Beethoven-missing-the-marks:
the clarinet trio Op. 11
a fair bit of Fidelio
Op. 18/5 and to some extent 4
slow movements of the first two piano concertos
some of the violin sonatas maybe? I don't remember half of them tbh

Clarinet trio, can't remember if I've even heard it.
Fidelio: Hopefully not one of the greatest villain arias in the history of opera? Or that magnificent gold aria ? Not to mention Leonore overtures, "Jetzt, Alter" and great finales and climaxes of both acts?
op.18/5 and 4: blasphemy! Those are probably the greatest of his early quartets  8)
Piano concerto slow movements: can't remember the slow movements so can't comment on that one. On the whole I recall having liked those concertos.
Violin sonatas: Disagreed. Among Beethoven's finest chamber music, tbh :)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jo498 on May 03, 2015, 06:52:00 AM
But in the first movements op.28 whole 3/4-bars are probably "felt" as the (slowish) beat (if one counts quarters it's very fast, similarly to the Eroica first movement). Whereas it would be quarters or even eighth notes in the andante.

I think the Andante, like the second movement of the 8th symphony, is properly in 4/8 rather than 2/4. I have heard one live performance, I think by Mustonen, where it was played as 2/4, almost an allegro in double-time from the usual.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Jo498 on May 02, 2015, 12:07:40 AM
My least favorite is #4.

??? One of Beethoven's early masterpieces if you ask me. His sorrows of young werther, perhaps.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Madiel

I find op.28 tremendously satisfying. I have Kovacevich performing it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the best quartet of op.18 is #1.

The violin sonatas are great. They may not be as adventurous as some of the piano sonatas but I think they are among the most accomplished of his early works. Melodically inspired, nicely balanced, diverse in mood, texture etc. Similar remarks apply to the most underappreciated early Beethoven pieces: The string trios op.9. They are often as good as some of the op.18 quartets. op.9/3 interestingly makes use of a four note motive that seems a foreshadowing of the famous 4 note motive in the late quartets.

I find it clearly superior to the c minor quartet 18/4. I don't think the movements of 18/4 fit together very well and I not very fond of the "romantic" first movement which is also uncommonly dominated by melody+ (usually repeated 8th notes) accompaniment. The finale is a four-square-rondo with hardly any sonata-like development. I like the scherzando movement but it does not fit with the tragic/dramatic mood of the others.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

John Simon and Adrienne Rich are idiots. Moreover, he´s a cunt and she´s a dick.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

amw

Op. 9 is excellent. Even Op. 3 is excellent. I wish Beethoven had written more string trios, they're incredibly assured and inventive. Only the string trio/flute serenade/whatever (i've heard various instrumentations) Op. 25? (The D major one with like 20 movements, you probably know what i'm talking about) is a miscalculation, and I suspect it was written as a potboiler more than a 'proper' piece of music.

Tbh I like the violin sonatas but the first three in particular don't seem like top-drawer Beethoven. I'll try to get into them eventually.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on May 03, 2015, 07:21:18 AM
John Simon and Adrienne Rich are idiots. Moreover, he´s a cunt and she´s a dick.

That's incredibly rude Florestan. Incredibly. You should use gender-neutral pronouns. "s/he's a cunt and s/he's a dick."

Jubal Slate

Quote from: Florestan on May 03, 2015, 07:21:18 AM

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on May 03, 2015, 07:28:21 AM
That's incredibly rude Florestan. Incredibly. You should use gender-neutral pronouns. "s/he's a cunt and s/he's a dick."

And the PC thought police should kiss my a$$.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Please go away with that nonsense. I am afraid I'll go blind if I read those rude words.
- Blaise Pascal

Jaakko Keskinen

Agreed about the string trios op. 3 and 9.

- Victor Hugo

Florestan

Quote from: Alberich on May 03, 2015, 07:44:08 AM
Agreed about the string trios op. 3 and 9.

+1

And let's not forget the op. 8.

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Florestan on May 03, 2015, 08:03:47 AM
+1

And let's not forget the op. 8.

I forgot it and by the time I remembered it I was too lazy to edit my post. :F

- Victor Hugo

Jo498

op.8 is fun but it sometimes veers dangerously close to that serenade with flute amw mentioned.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Oh, how awful of Beethoven to write those serenade thingies with lots of movements. Like his own Septet and Schubert's Octet and all those other pieces that no-one ever liked.

By the way, you'll find that op.25 has 6 movements. Six. That's a heck of a lot closer to the 4-movement works that apparently pass muster than the 20-movement parody you created. You don't have to like pieces (indeed, you don't have to like the entire serenade genre), but you could at least fairly characterise the thing that you're not liking.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!