Huang Ruo (b. 1974)

Started by suzyq, May 28, 2007, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzyq

A friend mentioned Huang Ruo to me - said he composed classical/contemporary music.

Does anyone know anything about him, have you heard his music, what do you think about it?  Look forward to everyone's input and thanks. :)

Brian

There's a new CD of his music which I haven't heard...

BachQ

Quote from: MrOsa on May 28, 2007, 04:05:22 PM
I merged them for you - now you can delete whichever of the 2 messages you like (or leave them both as a memento ;)).

Maciek

I find the repetition/replication/duplication of the first two posts confusing ........

suzyq

Quote from: MrOsa on May 28, 2007, 04:05:22 PM
I merged them for you - now you can delete whichever of the 2 messages you like (or leave them both as a memento ;)).

Maciek

paul

I think that Huang Ruo's music is excellent and I enjoy the fusion of modern complexities with traditional Chinese elements. The Naxos CD that was recently released is highly recommended. In addition to composing, he also directs the International Contemporary Ensemble which frequently performs at Columbia University's Miller Theatre and is a very good new music ensemble. Also, I know him personally because I go to school with him and can say that he's a very funny man.

Todd

Quote from: suzyq on May 28, 2007, 02:19:45 PMDoes anyone know anything about him, have you heard his music, what do you think about it?

I've heard the Naxos disc of some of his works.  It's pretty good.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mahlertitan

i have never heard of him to be honest, i saw his lone album on Naxos a while ago, but never bothered to check him out.
if you like more asian composers, i highly recommand Ding Shande.

bhodges

Reviewing a new recording by the International Contemporary Ensemble (a.k.a. ICE), I got acquainted with music of Huang Ruo, a young Chinese-American composer who teaches at SUNY Purchase.  (Unfortunately I missed his concert a few years ago that The New York Times named one of the best of the year.)

The CD is also the debut recording of this ensemble, based in Chicago and New York, who seem to be doing concerts everywhere these days, and I found it a really exciting disc, with lots of percussion effects.  The sound quality is quite spectacular, too.

Review here.

--Bruce