Erik Satie

Started by Michel, May 31, 2007, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Isn't he great!

I've been listening to nothing else for days as i haven't heard him before.

lukeottevanger

He is great, indeed, though more for what he opened up (not just to Debussy, Ravel, Poulenc and the Arceuil school but also, even, to John Cage, who he influenced deeply), than for his music. There are, probably, only a few really, truly strong pieces (Socrate, the Nocturnes, Sports et Divertissements, Pieces en forme de poire, and actually the famous earlier pieces too - Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes, Sarabandes). However, I wouldn't willingly exchange these ones for anything.

He's a fascinating figure, much misunderstood, and admirable on a personal level in so many ways (witness his going back to the conservatoire in all humility at a late age; in general witness the strength of character that enabled him to live the life he did, isolated in Arceuil). Also among the most anecdote-ridden of composers! Get hold of Rollo Myers' old biography. It's the only one I've read, it may be superceded by later ones, but it comes from very close to the source and feels genuine and passionate.

Mark

Didn't he get seven suits of clothes made, all in yellow, so he could wear one every day of the week?

I agree, btw, great music.

Choo Choo

What of his have you been listening to, Michel?

There's an ultracheap VoxBox with not-bad performances of most of the "name" works - including my nomination for what has to be about the cheeriest piece of music extant: La belle excentrique (a music-hall dance suite).

Solitary Wanderer

Yep, count me as a fan too.

I only have one disc being a comp performed by Ronan O'Hora.

I usually spin this disk on a sunday afternoon as its very relaxing  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

SimonGodders

The most gorgeously played Gymnopedie No. 1 is to be found on this fantastic disc (amongst other delights):

http://www.amazon.com/Naida-Cole-Emmanuel-Chabrier/dp/B000058TAN/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-5908801-4745533?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180652284&sr=8-2

karlhenning

lukeottevanger

Quote from: karlhenning on May 31, 2007, 03:26:53 PM
Socrate!
dude...

I find it hard to read Karl's pithy exclamation without being reminded of this seminal work of modern cinema

George

I am another big fan of Satie. I love everything I have heard from him.

Queffelec, Roge are great interpreters.

Hector

Quote from: SimonGodders on May 31, 2007, 02:48:13 PM
The most gorgeously played Gymnopedie No. 1 is to be found on this fantastic disc (amongst other delights):

http://www.amazon.com/Naida-Cole-Emmanuel-Chabrier/dp/B000058TAN/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-5908801-4745533?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180652284&sr=8-2

One piece of Satie. :'(

However, I cannot wait to hear Gospard de le nuit. Is it the gospard according to Gaspard, do you know?

karlhenning

Philoctetes

Need to bump up this thread.
:-*

Kullervo

Symphonien

Quote from: Kullervo on June 14, 2007, 07:13:36 PM
Why?

Because no-one else seems to like Satie.

Hector

Quote from: Symphonien on June 14, 2007, 11:43:51 PM
Because no-one else seems to like Satie.

Perhaps he should have changed his name to Bruckner, there would be pages and pages, by now!

Kullervo

This thread is pretty similar to a piece by Satie -- it's very short and nothing important is being said.  >:D

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Kullervo on June 15, 2007, 05:25:46 AM
This thread is pretty similar to a piece by Satie -- it's very short and nothing important is being said.  >:D

Satie's pieces may be short, but every second seems like a year when listening to them.

Hector

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 15, 2007, 05:28:07 AM
Satie's pieces may be short, but every second seems like a year when listening to them.

Unlike Wagner, of course, where every minute seems like a millenium (I know he would approve, though).

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Hector on June 15, 2007, 05:40:17 AM
Unlike Wagner, of course, where every minute seems like a millenium (I know he would approve, though).

Especially if Reginald Goodall is conducting. Then it becomes interminable.