Fat Enders

Started by Dr. Dread, June 12, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

Okay, I took the weight part off my signature. Doesn't mean I won't weigh myself... :)

Holden

Quote from: MN Dave on June 26, 2009, 05:06:00 AM
Okay, I took the weight part off my signature. Doesn't mean I won't weigh myself... :)

I'm looking forward to the new avatar.
Cheers

Holden

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Holden on June 26, 2009, 01:57:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the new avatar.

Ha. Thanks. Don't hold your breath though. ;)

secondwind

Good morning fat enders.  I'm off to find a part of the hotel I've never visited before -- the fitness room! The bad news -- my left knee is stiffening up badly after a week of running, so daily running may not be an option.

Dr. Dread

Do you actually run? Maybe you should walk instead. Or a light jog. I know running is serious stuff, so be careful.

secondwind

Dog-trot is about what I do, the gait of a very hot, tired, old dog in no particular hurry.  I did 2 miles on the treadmill today, a mile and a half of it "running".  The knee actually felt better at the end than at the beginning, so maybe it was the day of not running and sitting on airplanes that caused the problem. :D

Dr. Dread

Sometimes you can run that stuff out.

Dr. Dread

I just read that your waist size should be less than half your height.

DavidW

I've lost significant weight and from my experience I can say what works and what doesn't--

What doesn't work-- calorie counting to force rapid weight loss.  Yeah you do lose the weight.  But if you buckle?  Boom!  You bounce back to your old weight very fast.  Your metabolism is geared towards your current weight, pushing it to be at a different weight doesn't happen over night, and if you want your weight loss to be permanent it needs to be something that you don't even think about.  This can be made worse by constantly weighing yourself.

What does work-- eating less by cooking food instead of eating fast food and junk.  When you eat food you cooked yourself including veggies you end up eating alot by volume, but significantly less by calories.  You need to not feel hungry, you need it to work.  Usually when you're doing it right you only lose at most 2 lbs a week.  It shouldn't be a mission, it should be a lifestyle change.  Don't even bother weighing yourself.  Gradually being able to tighten up your buckle and see yourself look thinner in the mirror is reward enough.

Dr. Dread

Noted. I think a lot of people have been saying that.

secondwind

I am working on the lifestyle changes. Restaurant breakfast--mixed fresh fruit, yes; pancakes with butter and syrup, no!

Dr. Dread

Yes. Mindful choices are the way to go.  :)

Brian

Just got back from vacation. I ate a ton of really, really good food. NOT looking forward to getting on the scale  :( :(

Holden

Quote from: secondwind on June 28, 2009, 06:47:10 AM
Dog-trot is about what I do, the gait of a very hot, tired, old dog in no particular hurry. 

When I do a running class with students I call this the 'Granny Shuffle' (no offence intended). It's all about exerting yourself in a manner that doesn't put too much stress on the joints but will easily work up a sweat. You can run a long way with this - it just takes longer!
Cheers

Holden

Dr. Dread

263, a new low...

(I know, I know, but the scale is such a temptation...)

DavidW

What I hate about walking now (thinking of Holden's post) is that it's so blazing hot!!  I'm starting to get up earlier so maybe I'll eventually get up early enough that I could go on a walk without the heat.

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on July 02, 2009, 07:21:46 AM
What I hate about walking now (thinking of Holden's post) is that it's so blazing hot!!  I'm starting to get up earlier so maybe I'll eventually get up early enough that I could go on a walk without the heat.
Here in Texas I mowed the lawn at 9am to beat the 103 degrees...but it was 98 by the time I finished.

168 btw. That vacation was seriously unhealthy for me.

karlhenning

In this unseasonable weather, we here in Boston have forgotten what "heat" is.

karlhenning

Thread duty:

Went for a swim today.

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 03, 2009, 03:55:47 PM
In this unseasonable weather, we here in Boston have forgotten what "heat" is.
We here in Texas would gladly send you 15 degrees or so.