Fat Enders

Started by Dr. Dread, June 12, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

secondwind

Hello MN Dave, Mozart, David W, et al.,

Trying to get back to the exercise routine, I've returned from a short neighborhood jog, squeezed in before work (and before the heat of the day).  Weigh in later this week. . . maybe much later. . .  ::)

Novi

Quote from: DavidW on July 04, 2009, 07:45:13 PM
I'm working on getting up earlier while it's still cool.  I don't know if it would help for you, but here in Oklahoma it does get down to the low 70s, even when the highs are in the 90s.  Just look up when dawn is and start setting your clock half an hour back each day until you get there, that's what I'm doing. ;D

Hey, thanks DavidW. :) I kind of took your advice; not being a dawn kind of person, I've been heading out after sunset. The sun's gone, but it's still a muggy 30C at 8 pm. I'm wrecked after every run. :-\
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

karlhenning

Went for a swim yesterday.

Joe_Campbell

Biked up a large hill the other day. Excruciating!

You can see a bit of it just below the pond in the photo.

DavidW

Quote from: Novi on July 14, 2009, 05:25:02 AM
Hey, thanks DavidW. :) I kind of took your advice; not being a dawn kind of person, I've been heading out after sunset. The sun's gone, but it's still a muggy 30C at 8 pm. I'm wrecked after every run. :-\

Yeah that's actually the hottest part of the day!  It's only a few degrees less than the high.  You see it only begins cooling a little before sunset.  It doesn't reach the coolest part until dawn.

DavidW

Novi, if you don't like the pesky morning, perhaps you should try swimming because then you'll be in the cool water. :)

secondwind

Just back from the morning slow-motion jog/shuffle around the neighborhood.  I hate to admit it, being something of a night owl myself, but morning really is the best time for this exercise stuff.  Not only is morning much cooler than any other time, but I've read that morning exercise can "reset" your metabolism to a higher level, so you have more energy and expend more calories doing the rest of the normal activities you do all day. :)  I just wish I got a view like Joe's at the end of my exertions!

karlhenning

Not to torment y'all . . . beautiful morning here in Boston, lovely brisk walks (a) to the bus, (b) from the Old State House to the office, and then (c) a short jaunt for some coffee.

Mozart

I bought some wheat germ yesterday, 59 cents a pound! Dumped some into my oatmeal, it doesn't taste like anything. But apparently its extremely nutritious, extra boost of protein and fiber and many nutrients. I don't see any reason for all of you loosing weight not to go buy some.
"I am the musical tree, eat of my fruit and your spirit shall rejoiceth!"
- Amadeus 6:26

karlhenning

Wheat germ is great stuff!

Mozart

I also bought a scale...it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates even within a day. I weighed 166 last week and now I'm generally around 168 but sometimes can be 170. I guess I should just take the average.

I noticed that since its hot, I don't feel like eating much. I was planning to make pasta today for dinner, beans for lunch, oatmeal for breakfast, and fruits before that, but I'd feel like a bubble. I'll just do the fruits for lunch and beans for dinner, and even that might feel like much.

Also one more comment, I went to mcdonalds yesterday, not to eat but to accompany some people who couldn't be convinced to eat somewhere else. I once had such strong cravings for that junk, but now even the smell was repulsive. Not even because I think its bad, it just smells awful once I stopped eating it. I don't think I imagined it or anything like that, I just don't think anyone who wasn't particularly raised with it or eat it often would enjoy the taste.

secondwind

Quote from: Mozart on July 15, 2009, 07:20:55 AM
I also bought a scale...it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates even within a day. I weighed 166 last week and now I'm generally around 168 but sometimes can be 170. I guess I should just take the average.
I've heard that if you weigh yourself frequently to monitor your weight, you should weigh yourself at the same time of day to minimize the effects of these normal weight fluctuations. 

Mozart

Quote from: secondwind on July 15, 2009, 10:27:44 AM
I've heard that if you weigh yourself frequently to monitor your weight, you should weigh yourself at the same time of day to minimize the effects of these normal weight fluctuations. 

Well I still find it interesting :) I was 166 and I can be 170? 166 was obviously a low and 170 a high but its a big fluctuation!

Anyways my weight is just a number...I use the mirror to track my progress more than a scale. It's just another way.

Mozart

Well I want to ask you a question guys and gals. If you dont feel hungry, is there any good reason to eat? What if it takes a day or two until you feel hungry again?

For example when someone is sick, generally they don't have a big appetite. And I was always told to eat to build strength, but it seems like nonsense when I think about it. Why eat if I have no desire for food?

Brian

I seem to have leveled off at 167 - have been there for a little over a week. Disappointing, as my goal for August 14 is 157.

Mozart

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2009, 08:01:00 PM
I seem to have leveled off at 167 - have been there for a little over a week. Disappointing, as my goal for August 14 is 157.
Any reason why that date? My goal for Aug 31 is to be about 160, maybe its to low. 1 pound a week is about 160 for me by then. If I could be 155 then I'd be super thin, and I could put one some muscle :)

Brian

Quote from: Mozart on July 15, 2009, 08:07:46 PM
Any reason why that date? My goal for Aug 31 is to be about 160, maybe its to low. 1 pound a week is about 160 for me by then. If I could be 155 then I'd be super thin, and I could put one some muscle :)
Yeah, that date is when I go back to college. And that weight goal (157) is 25 pounds less than I weighed last year when I went to college. :) BTW Mozart, you're a good bit taller than I am; I'm just 5'7" and a half.

secondwind

Quote from: Mozart on July 15, 2009, 07:15:04 PM
Well I want to ask you a question guys and gals. If you dont feel hungry, is there any good reason to eat? What if it takes a day or two until you feel hungry again?

For example when someone is sick, generally they don't have a big appetite. And I was always told to eat to build strength, but it seems like nonsense when I think about it. Why eat if I have no desire for food?
If I didn't feel hungry for a day or two, I would assume that I'm sick and head to the doctor straightaway! ;D  But otherwise, I've read that it is better to eat small amounts 5 or 6 times a day than large amounts once or twice a day, so there might be a good reason to eat something small even when you don't feel especially hungry.

Novi

Quote from: secondwind on July 15, 2009, 03:46:36 AM
I hate to admit it, being something of a night owl myself, but morning really is the best time for this exercise stuff.  Not only is morning much cooler than any other time, but I've read that morning exercise can "reset" your metabolism to a higher level, so you have more energy and expend more calories doing the rest of the normal activities you do all day. :)  I just wish I got a view like Joe's at the end of my exertions!

Quote from: DavidW on July 14, 2009, 07:47:05 AM
Yeah that's actually the hottest part of the day!  It's only a few degrees less than the high.  You see it only begins cooling a little before sunset.  It doesn't reach the coolest part until dawn.

Oops, and here I was thinking I'd cleverly managed to get out of having to wake up before dawn. :-[ I'm in a super urban environment at the moment, so the 95%+ concrete surfaces must retain and release a lot of heat. :-\ I've checked the weather forecast for Friday: at 5 am, it's 28C, with a heat index of 31; at 8 pm, it's 31C, with a heat index of 37. No wonder my runs have been killing me. ::) I'm going to see if I can be out the door by, say, 5.30 tomorrow (ever the optimist teehee).

Quote from: DavidW on July 14, 2009, 07:47:48 AM
Novi, if you don't like the pesky morning, perhaps you should try swimming because then you'll be in the cool water. :)

Could be an idea. I'm visiting my dad at the moment and there's a pool in his apartment complex. I don't have any togs here though, and not sure if I remember how to swim. :P
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen

Novi

Quote from: Mozart on July 15, 2009, 07:15:04 PM

Even if you don't feel hungry, you still need energy to function. Also, if you're trying to lose weight, your body might go into starvation mode, which bungles up your metabolism. 

With the weight fluctuation, a couple of glasses of water would be an extra pound or so, so it's quite normal to have these variations.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen