Fat Enders

Started by Dr. Dread, June 12, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

This morning:  216.4, a new low.

Doing the right things!  Now, to reinforce those right things . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jubal Slate

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2015, 01:44:20 AM
This morning:  216.4, a new low.

Doing the right things!  Now, to reinforce those right things . . . .

Nice!

I've been a lazy bastard myself and am hanging at 224.

Bogey

Not pleased at all. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mookalafalas

Very quiet around here...

I just got back under 200 pounds for the first time in a long time after climbing up to about 210.  Lots of salmon, chicken breast, vegetables and legumes on the menu.  Hope to keep it up!
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ibanezmonster

My goal is to be a normal weight and have abs. (And maybe eventually, even more)

Seems my strategy of trying to get big and then lose the fat is too hard, since past a certain weight I just don't gain weight no matter how hard I try. So I might have to lose 20-30 pounds to get my abs to show and then try to build up again while gaining as little fat as possible. The painful thing is that means I would have to go through a period of being too skinny in the meantime.

So far, what I'm thinking is that to lose as much fat as possible without losing muscle includes:
-Keep drinking tons of water
-Keep working out regularly
-Keep getting in protein
-Cut out as many saturated fats as possible (and sugar)

ibanezmonster

I would estimate by bf% is about 16% after looking at examples. So I want to bring it down to 13% at the very least.

Last time I lost weight intentionally, I lost 15 pounds in about 2 months and went from borderline chunky to nearly having abs. All I did was drink skim milk instead of 2% milk, which I had been drinking before. I didn't notice any loss in strength or muscle, so probably doing that would be a good idea (and I could substitute almonds for the crackers I eat every day).

North Star

Quote from: Greg on September 18, 2015, 09:15:17 AMI would estimate by bf% is about 16% after looking at examples. So I want to bring it down to 13% at the very least.
Why?
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

ibanezmonster

Quote from: North Star on September 18, 2015, 09:21:24 AM
Why?
Specifically 13% because as a rule of thumb that's the bf% you need to see your abs (without straining). I have a six-pack if I laugh, but that just doesn't cut it IMO. I may go lower than 13%, though, but not too much.

Henk

Lost 5 kg of weight the past weeks. Now weighting 94 kg. Want to lose some more kgs.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Henk on December 07, 2015, 11:41:48 PM
Lost 5 kg of weight the past weeks. Now weighting 94 kg. Want to lose some more kgs.

Hey, Henk, nice to see you on here. 
   I've been pretty good since February, but really gung ho for the last 2 months.  I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week, weights and lots of cardio, very healthy eating on weekdays, some living it up on the weekends.  Anyway, Body fat% is down to 21.5% from a peak of 30% in February.  These days beans and Greek Yogurt are my friends... I can wear all my old clothes again!! I knew I was wise to keep them 8)
It's all good...

Henk

Good job.

A bit doubts about my overall health condition. Need to get fit. Eating nuts, fruit and vegetables. Vitamine D and vitamine C pills. Some exercise, but not much.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Henk on December 08, 2015, 04:00:07 AM
Good job.

A bit doubts about my overall health condition. Need to get fit. Eating nuts, fruit and vegetables. Vitamine D and vitamine C pills. Some exercise, but not much.

Well, it seems to be working for you!
It's all good...

Henk

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2015, 04:45:15 AM
Well, it seems to be working for you!

Quite a big belly. The photo is when I weight approximately 100 kg.

NikF

A doctor (especially one who is a GP) would probably tell me I'm overweight. Nonsense. In fact, unless that doctor was particularly heavy I could make a reasonable attempt at bench pressing him/her.
Right now I'm 167lbs (about 75kg?) at 5' 8" (172cm or thereabouts) and just under 15% body fat. I know I can reduce that last figure by another percent or two, but I'm already happy with how I look, my clothes fit well and I feel great. Toots tells me I'm stronger than most men half my age (how does she know this? ;D) and is fond of sashaying over and squeezing my biceps while giving me a 'come hither' look, which as trivial as that is in the greater scheme of things is still so cool.

I know it isn't easy to eat/exercise/rest like an adult (because that's what the required behaviour is - adult) on a consistent basis, however it's definitely worth it. And while it's good and noble to take care of your health if you've a family to look after or have people in your life you hold close and dear, do it for yourself.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 10, 2015, 11:33:43 PM
A doctor (especially one who is a GP) would probably tell me I'm overweight. Nonsense. In fact, unless that doctor was particularly heavy I could make a reasonable attempt at bench pressing him/her.
Right now I'm 167lbs (about 75kg?) at 5' 8" (172cm or thereabouts) and just under 15% body fat.
Yeah, those figures result in a BMI that is at the limit of normal weight and overweight, but you might as well say that a portrait photographer would think that black people are underexposed.

My photographs on Flickr

amw

Not as dramatic as some people here, but for most of the year I maintained a normal weight of about 58kg (~128 lbs, I think?) through constant vigilance. However over the last couple of months, due to stress, I stopped monitoring my diet and failed to exercise as often as I should, and today found that I weigh 65kg (~143 lbs). Not a catastrophe quite yet, but def time to get back to the gym before it gets worse >.>

NikF

Quote from: North Star on December 10, 2015, 11:59:20 PM
Yeah, those figures result in a BMI that is at the limit of normal weight and overweight, but you might as well say that a portrait photographer would think that black people are underexposed.
That's a good way to put it.
Isn't the BMI of some use when considering the weight of a nation or population as a whole?
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

North Star

Quote from: NikF on December 11, 2015, 04:20:09 AM
That's a good way to put it.
Isn't the BMI of some use when considering the weight of a nation or population as a whole?
I'm sure it's a decent statistical tool for larger populations where the amount of e.g. athletes is not skewing the numbers. It should be remembered, though, that it dates from mid-19th century, and nutrition and society have changed a good bit since then, and these days we have better ways to measure what the BMI tries to, i.e. body fat percentage.

My photographs on Flickr

NikF

Quote from: North Star on December 11, 2015, 04:34:08 AM
I'm sure it's a decent statistical tool for larger populations where the amount of e.g. athletes is not skewing the numbers. It should be remembered, though, that it dates from mid-19th century, and nutrition and society have changed a good bit since then, and these days we have better ways to measure what the BMI tries to, i.e. body fat percentage.

I'd no idea at all about how dated it was or the impact of changes in nutrition upon it. And to think, so many doctors are still using it as a prime tool. Wow.