A female Mephisto in a 20th century opera?

Started by Ciel_Rouge, June 12, 2009, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciel_Rouge

I heard there was a character like this in one of the 20th century operas. The work was not very obscure at all, it was one of the major ones. I hope someone might help me to identify the opera.

jlaurson

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on June 12, 2009, 06:59:59 PM
I heard there was a character like this in one of the 20th century operas. The work was not very obscure at all, it was one of the major ones. I hope someone might help me to identify the opera.

In Schnittke's "Historia von Dr. Johann Fausten" Mephisto is sung & played by a mezzo whenever in disguise. [And by a counter tenor when not.] (This includes the most famous aria from the opera and the Faust Cantata from which the opera was expanded.) Whether that's one of the major 20th ct. operas, however, is arguable.

Ciel_Rouge

Thanks for the clue. It is indeed possible that this is the one. However, from what I remember, the character was also female, not only the voice. There is also a possibility that the character was not named Mephisto but I am still certain she was a female devil. I heard about it on some podcast but cannnot exactly recall which one.

jlaurson

Quote from: Ciel_Rouge on July 06, 2009, 06:35:07 AM
Thanks for the clue. It is indeed possible that this is the one. However, from what I remember, the character was also female, not only the voice. There is also a possibility that the character was not named Mephisto but I am still certain she was a female devil. I heard about it on some podcast but cannnot exactly recall which one.

The other "opera" I can think of where Mephisto is constantly female is Tom Waits' "The Black Rider". But that's even less classical than Schnittke.

Ciel_Rouge

Indeed. Well, the podcast was about classical music and I am sure it was about a real opera. Schnittke is still possible. But as mentioned earlier, I am not exactly sure about the name of the character and I do remember a female character being mentioned and female voice played as an excerpt. Still hoping to nail it down somehow.