The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jochanaan

Quote from: EigenUser on June 09, 2014, 06:08:15 PM
...Look at this. Here are two pages from the first movement of the Ligeti "Chamber Concerto" -- with all of those ghastly-looking cadenzas. On the left page (next to the "1" I wrote and circled) he tells the harpsichord to play "as fast as possible" ("prestissimo possible"). Then, on the right page (next to the "2"), he tells the violins to play slightly faster than the harpsichord. :laugh:
Depending on the players, the violins might be able to play a little faster than the harpsichord. :)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

EigenUser

haydnhaydnhaydnhaydnhaydnOHANA!

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Which Brahms symphony are you?

http://www.gotoquiz.com/results/what_brahms_symphony_are_you

I'd tell you mine, but we 4s aren't boastful.  :)

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on June 16, 2014, 03:14:34 PM
Which Brahms symphony are you?
Hopefully none of them. :-X

Although I do tend to go on and on and repeat myself, so I'm sure I'd find a match... :-\

Not that I have a huge problem with Brahms -- he wrote some beautiful music, but I find it to greatly overstay its welcome. I'm still bitter about playing the double in my university's symphony. Good thing we also had the Bartok "Dance Suite" and Strauss "Overture to Fledermaus" (yes, I love this piece :-[ ;D ) on the same program to make up for it.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

amw

I'm the Second. Oddly I had 0% match with the Third even though it was the first one I liked.

Also, some of those questions. (Who the hell names their kid "Sonata" or "Tutti"?)

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on June 16, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
Hopefully none of them. :-X

Although I do tend to go on and on and repeat myself, so I'm sure I'd find a match... :-\

Not that I have a huge problem with Brahms -- he wrote some beautiful music, but I find it to greatly overstay its welcome. I'm still bitter about playing the double in my university's symphony. Good thing we also had the Bartok "Dance Suite" and Strauss "Overture to Fledermaus" (yes, I love this piece :-[ ;D ) on the same program to make up for it.

Do I hear the god of irony chuckling?

cough cough ravbussy orchestral schmoo cough cough

Brian

0% First Symphony. Maybe that's why I don't like it much!!

(I got Second.)

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on June 16, 2014, 06:23:54 PM
0% First Symphony. Maybe that's why I don't like it much!!

(I got Second.)
I was 2% first, then 6, 10, 58% for fourth. I guess the rest is Bruckner  :)

kishnevi

Third for me,  yet 0 for the Fourth.   I named my kid Motto.

Moonfish

The second  (82%) !!!   
[the Third got 74% while the First and Fourth got 0%]. My kid was named Motto as well. The funny thing is that I often tease my son with calling him Moto (Master of the Obvious)....      ::) :P
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Wanderer

I got 58% First Symphony, 42% Second and 4% Fourth. 104% of symphonic awesomeness.

Jaakko Keskinen

I got second. Second having 54 % makes sense since it was the first Brahms symphony along with fourth that I immediately loved. Yet 4th 0 %  ??? However my personality is IMO closest to 3rd or 4th.

Moving on to Brahms's other compositions: Why is double concerto less loved than other concertos when the last movement of it is IMO the most badass concerto movement Brahms ever wrote?
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

king ubu

82% first, 28% second .... so I'm a whopping 110%, which is kinda kewl ... although I've not heard Brahms' symphonies quite set.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

TheGSMoeller

46% First  8)
36% Third  :-*
4% Fourth  >:(
0% Second  ???

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 17, 2014, 03:09:12 AM
46% First  8)
36% Third  :-*
4% Fourth  >:(
0% Second  ???

What happened to the other 14%?

king ubu

Quote from: amw on June 17, 2014, 03:20:10 AM
Wanderer and me stole 'em!  :D
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

EigenUser

Quote from: Alberich on June 17, 2014, 02:17:46 AM
I got second. Second having 54 % makes sense since it was the first Brahms symphony along with fourth that I immediately loved. Yet 4th 0 %  ??? However my personality is IMO closest to 3rd or 4th.

Moving on to Brahms's other compositions: Why is double concerto less loved than other concertos when the last movement of it is IMO the most badass concerto movement Brahms ever wrote?
I haven't heard much Brahms because I was kind of put off by the double. I also attended a performance of Brahms 2nd symphony which I felt very similarly about (beautiful, but too long), but fortunately Bartok's 2nd PC and Beethoven's "Egmont Overture" were there to save the day.

Quote from: Ken B on June 16, 2014, 05:04:32 PM
Do I hear the god of irony chuckling?

cough cough ravbussy orchestral schmoo cough cough
::)
glassglassglassglassglassglassglass

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: amw on June 17, 2014, 03:20:10 AM

I have no clue, but that's what I got. Perhaps the remaining amount is being reserved for another Brahms piece.

Pat B

Quote from: Alberich on June 17, 2014, 02:17:46 AM

I like it better than his Violin Concerto.