The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Henk on September 11, 2014, 12:06:48 AM
What is it with the obsession for Shostakovich among members?

In my case, the reason is the music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Norman Lebrecht thinks that Sakari Oramo is the frontrunner to take over the Concertgebouw. I refuse to believe they are so enamored with averageness.

Karl Henning

Hmm.  What's Oramo's best effort, is there a consensus?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wanderer

He has recorded some excellent Foulds. His Rachmaninov with Lugansky is also quite good. I have his Sibelius too, but haven't listened to it in quite some time. There's a recent recording of Elgar's First Symphony by him I'd like to sample.

Jay F

Quote from: Henk on September 11, 2014, 12:06:48 AM
What is it with the obsession for Shostakovich among members?
The string quartets. They're so wonderful, I can listen to them for days, such that they've all fused into one large body of work, called The String Quartets. You should try them.

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on September 12, 2014, 05:21:36 AM
Hmm.  What's Oramo's best effort, is there a consensus?
The Foulds and the Elgar First, both mentioned by Wanderer. The Elgar First is helped by highest-possible-standard sound. Here is my review of Elgar 1 & 2, plus a second review of #1 by John Quinn. His Sibelius Five I thought was fairly meh.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on September 12, 2014, 05:35:38 AM
He has recorded some excellent Foulds. His Rachmaninov with Lugansky is also quite good. I have his Sibelius too, but haven't listened to it in quite some time. There's a recent recording of Elgar's First Symphony by him I'd like to sample.

Quote from: Brian on September 12, 2014, 06:08:19 AM
The Foulds and the Elgar First, both mentioned by Wanderer. The Elgar First is helped by highest-possible-standard sound. Here is my review of Elgar 1 & 2, plus a second review of #1 by John Quinn. His Sibelius Five I thought was fairly meh.

Thanks, gents.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

While in the car the other day,  listening to what passes for the local classical station (really a feed off the American Public Radio/Minnesota Public Radio system), the (female) emcee introduced a recording by a recently disbanded group which was not very well known, although possibly they were better known in Europe, since they were originally a group of students from the Cologne Conservatory (as she called the institution) organized in the 70s and led by a fellow student named Reinhard Goebel.   Only then did she pronounce the phrase "Musica Antiqua Koln".....

TheGSMoeller

any good classical music books I can download onto my Kindle or iPad to read over my week trip? Either a really good bio or a general book on an era or genre? any suggestions?

Moonfish

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 13, 2014, 02:22:09 PM
any good classical music books I can download onto my Kindle or iPad to read over my week trip? Either a really good bio or a general book on an era or genre? any suggestions?

A Ludwig journey?

[asin] B00E78IB3E[/asin]

Or Brahms....

[asin] B006NKMLAS[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Moonfish on September 13, 2014, 02:52:04 PM
A Ludwig journey?

[asin] B00E78IB3E[/asin]

Or Brahms....

[asin] B006NKMLAS[/asin]

Nice recs, I would prefer Brahms, will look into it. Thanks, Moonfish!

EigenUser

Predictable :D. I'd recommend Peter Bartok's My Father, but I'm almost positive it isn't on iBooks. The Ligeti is.
[asin]1555535518[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Moonfish

Personally I am tempted by this one....

[asin] B00862F6VC[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Oh, the subtitle for the LvB has me thinking The Young and the Restless . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2014, 07:09:49 PM
Oh, the subtitle for the LvB has me thinking The Young and the Restless . . . .
The Bold and the Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 08, 2014, 07:56:42 AM
The Atlanta Symphony has locked out its musicians, again.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/the-atlanta-symphony-orchestra-locks-out-its-players-again/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

I just received an email sent to all subscribers of the ASO saying they have postponed all concerts until November 8th. If an agreement is reached before then they will try to resume as soon as possible.
Very sad day, musicians are now looking for money while rich Board members continue their lavish lifestyles.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 22, 2014, 04:06:24 PM
I just received an email sent to all subscribers of the ASO saying they have postponed all concerts until November 8th. If an agreement is reached before then they will try to resume as soon as possible.
Very sad day, musicians are now looking for money while rich Board members continue their lavish lifestyles.
Are board members paid, or just rich volunteers?

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on September 23, 2014, 08:02:51 AM
Are board members paid, or just rich volunteers?
Nah, they're just not interested.

8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

If anyone's interested in hosting a blind comparison, Schoenberg's Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16 might make for an interesting change. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr