The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EigenUser

I'm going to an open rehearsal (i.e. "open" meaning that we get to play with the orchestra in sight-reading) tonight with a friend. It's a fundraiser for a local community orchestra ($10 each time you attend). Should be fun. I'm sure that there will be a copy of Ligeti's San Francisco Polyphony sitting on our music stands when we get there, among other things. I'll let you know what else we play :D .

Or...
https://www.sfcv.org/article/tuning-up-for-san-francisco-polyphony
The image shown is not the actual score which is, in fact, in completely standard notation. It is just a very preliminary "storyboard" for the piece (I've seen it in a bio before).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

amw

Yo, can anyone tell me which recording of Beethoven's Op. 132 it is that has the 22 minute Heiliger Dankgesang? I initially thought it was QI, but they only take 19 1/2 or so along with Busch and Belcea.

(Not that I think the Heiliger Dankgesang should take 22 minutes. But perverse curiosity drives me onwards)

Jaakko Keskinen

Funny thing I noticed about Puccini: I tend to prefer his operas where there is either a strong female character (Tosca, Fanciulla) or both strong and a "weak" one (Turandot) opposed to those where there is more "fragile" female lead (La Boheme, Madama Butterfly). Okay, you might disagree about Cio-cio-san and Liú being weak and I didn't quite mean that. They show amazing endurance in many other respects but to me they are still kind of "fragile" characters. Their amazing selflessness is very strong but I can't imagine Liú killing anyone like Tosca or Cio-cio-san living in Wild West like Minnie. Or either one being a complete bitch like Turandot.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jaakko Keskinen

Btw, I have changed my mind about Turandot's ending being dull. Okay, it's not perfect by any stretch of imagination and is bit of a cut-and paste, especially in the very end but it still made an impression to me when I relistened to it recently, especially the way that Turandot motive explodes at one point. Although it is kind of tragicomic the way we are to think "Yay, a happy ending!" despite innocent girl having just a moment ago been tortured and driven to suicide.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

EigenUser

Quote from: EigenUser on August 04, 2014, 01:49:19 PM
I'm going to an open rehearsal (i.e. "open" meaning that we get to play with the orchestra in sight-reading) tonight with a friend. It's a fundraiser for a local community orchestra ($10 each time you attend). Should be fun. I'm sure that there will be a copy of Ligeti's San Francisco Polyphony sitting on our music stands when we get there, among other things. I'll let you know what else we play :D .

Or...
https://www.sfcv.org/article/tuning-up-for-san-francisco-polyphony
The image shown is not the actual score which is, in fact, in completely standard notation. It is just a very preliminary "storyboard" for the piece (I've seen it in a bio before).
It was fun. We played through Holst's St. Paul's Suite (string orchestra) and Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 1 (full orchestra), which is one of the conductor's favorite pieces.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on August 05, 2014, 03:49:41 AM
It was fun. We played through Holst's St. Paul's Suite (string orchestra) and Mendelssohn's Symphony No. 1 (full orchestra), which is one of the conductor's favorite pieces.

I must have missed it, what instrument do you play?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

EigenUser

Florestan

Quote from: EigenUser on August 05, 2014, 03:56:50 AM
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,2112.msg802625.html#msg802625

...And viola and piano.

Good for you! Not being able to play an instrument is perhaps the biggest frustration of my life. And  I would have just loved to play flute and/or piano...  :(
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

EigenUser

Quote from: Florestan on August 05, 2014, 04:00:53 AM
Good for you! Not being able to play an instrument is perhaps the biggest frustration of my life. And  I would have just loved to play flute and/or piano...  :(
You know, you still can! It doesn't have to be good as long as you enjoy yourself. I read Peter Bartok's biography of his father and he said that his father was wary of recordings/radio. It isn't that he was against technology (not at all -- he said his father liked to listen to jazz on the radio), but he feared that people would substitute listening music for making music and would therefore not discover the joy of making music, no matter how mediocre it may be.

I took violin lessons for many years, but I taught myself piano (aside from a year of lessons in 4th grade, which many people did). Last year I bought the first book of the Ligeti etudes -- wayyyyyyy above my level! Any reasonable piano teacher would laugh at the idea. But, each morning (for a few months, say from July to November), I would get up very early, have breakfast, and walk to the music building (getting something with a lot of caffeine on the way :D). I worked my way through Fanfares (slowly -- hands separately as my piano-virtuoso friend advised). I would often spend a whole hour on four measures (so, probably 5 seconds of music when played up to tempo!). It sounded horrible at first, but it was fun. Then, it started to sound not-so-horrible. I got to the point where I could play the first half of the etude up to tempo. Far from performance quality, but not bad, either.

I've read that the hardest thing adults have to deal with when learning something is that they have an idea how it should sound and judge themselves based on that (and subsequently become discouraged). Kids, on the other hand, just do what they are told and generally have little or no reference point.

jochanaan

Quote from: EigenUser on August 05, 2014, 03:49:41 AM
I would have loved to be there for the Mendelssohn!  (My main instrument for orchestra playing is oboe, so that leaves me out for the St. Paul Suite. :) )
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Ken B

Quote from: jochanaan on August 05, 2014, 07:43:32 PM
I would have loved to be there for the Mendelssohn!  (My main instrument for orchestra playing is oboe, so that leaves me out for the St. Paul Suite. :) )
I thought you played flute. So, is that a transverse oboe in your pic?  :)

EigenUser

Quote from: jochanaan on August 05, 2014, 07:43:32 PM
It is a great piece. The conductor told us how Mendelssohn started it when he was 14 and then said "I don't know what all of you were doing when you were fourteen, but you were not doing this!" :laugh:

Quote from: Ken B on August 05, 2014, 07:48:17 PM
He plays both, from what I remember. It is possible to play more than one instrument. Just not at the same time if they are wind instruments (I'm sure someone will find a YT video of someone (somehow!) playing flute and oboe at the same time just to prove me wrong).

jochanaan

Quote from: Ken B on August 05, 2014, 07:48:17 PM
I play flute too. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Henk

Time to listen to some music. :)
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

EigenUser

I decided to print out, frame, and hang this cartoon on the wall by my bathroom sink in my new apartment. The bathroom is always a good place to put a cartoon.

I also came across this one which is pretty good. Ken, recognize the formulae? :D

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on August 18, 2014, 07:50:56 AM
I decided to print out, frame, and hang this cartoon on the wall by my bathroom sink in my new apartment. The bathroom is always a good place to put a cartoon.

I also came across this one which is pretty good. Ken, recognize the formulae? :D

Yup.  ;)

EigenUser

Quote from: EigenUser on August 18, 2014, 07:50:56 AM

I bet you thought I wouldn't actually do it!

Brian

Excellent!

I would do that with this cartoon, but it might send the wrong message. ;)

Karl Henning

Good gravy...someone has tweeted (and the Orchestra of St Paul's retweeted) as follows: "John Adams, greatest living composer? Discuss,"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Not even "greatest living American composer" (and there was ample capacity in the tweet for those characters).  The fellow who originated the tweet is a conductor, BTW.  I want whatever he's drinking.

No, on second thought:  I pass even on the recreational beverage/substance.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot