The Classical Chat Thread

Started by DavidW, July 14, 2009, 08:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Each of the past three centuries has had a great and substantial set of variations for solo piano added to the repertoire. Bach started it in the 18th century with the Goldberg Variations, followed by Beethoven's Diabelli Variations in the 19th century and Frederic Rzewski's variations on The People United Will Never Be Defeated in the 20th. Will a composer in this 21st century write an equally-substantial set of variations for solo piano to add to these great works?

North Star

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 26, 2015, 06:03:05 AM
Each of the past three centuries has had a great and substantial set of variations for solo piano added to the repertoire. Bach started it in the 18th century with the Goldberg Variations, followed by Beethoven's Diabelli Variations in the 19th century and Frederic Rzewski's variations on The People United Will Never Be Defeated in the 20th. Will a composer in this 21st century write an equally-substantial set of variations for solo piano to add to these great works?
(The Bach is obviously written for a double manual harpsichord and not a piano)
There are also Rakhmaninov's Corelli Variations and Variations on a Theme of Chopin, the Brahms sets, and Stevenson's Passacaglia on DSCH!!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 26, 2015, 06:03:05 AM
Will a composer in this 21st century write an equally-substantial set of variations for solo piano to add to these great works?

Sure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Maestro267

Quote from: North Star on October 26, 2015, 07:31:38 AM
(The Bach is obviously written for a double manual harpsichord and not a piano)
There are also Rakhmaninov's Corelli Variations and Variations on a Theme of Chopin, the Brahms sets, and Stevenson's Passacaglia on DSCH!!

Yes, but of those, only the DSCH is of a similar length to the ones I mentioned. I'm after sets that last for around an hour or longer.

This begs another question...how come there are no sets of variations of this length written for orchestra? The longest set I know of is the 30-minute Enigma Variations. And I'm not talking about transcriptions of piano variations for orchestra.

Jo498

Keyboard variations had been an established form already in the 16th century (or probably earlier). Bach's Goldberg variations put the earlier ones in the shade but there are actually some impressive earlier sets, e.g. one by Buxtehude in G major which is very probably one of the inspirations for the Goldbergs (lasts about 25 min or so). Orchestral variations were only a thing from the late romantic period on and in the 20th century.

And it's also not easy to write enough interesting variations for an hour... The Goldbergs were probably not intended to be performed in one run (and Busoni made a heavily cut edition for ca. 1900 audiences). So patience for such works is not to be taken for granted.
I don't know why orchestral variations never became such a big thing or why they usually run "only" about 20-25 minutes or so.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

amw

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 26, 2015, 09:41:34 AM
Yes, but of those, only the DSCH is of a similar length to the ones I mentioned. I'm after sets that last for around an hour or longer.

This begs another question...how come there are no sets of variations of this length written for orchestra? The longest set I know of is the 30-minute Enigma Variations. And I'm not talking about transcriptions of piano variations for orchestra.
The longest I know of is Sorabji's variations on the 'Dies Irae' plainchant which last about seven hours, including a 90-minute passacaglia and a fugue of equal length. And there's another set of Symphonic Variations for piano and orchestra apparently of about equal length. But, well, Sorabji.

For non-piano variation sets, there is Robert Simpson's 9th String Quartet, consisting of 32 (I think) palindromic variations and a fugue on a theme by Haydn (the minuet of the Symphony No. 47). Lasts about an hour if I recall correctly. No idea why there are no orchestral ones, I suppose because long orchestral pieces tend to be symphonic cycles because composers want to exploit all the possible colours and invent material suited to them, whereas long piano pieces are more suited to variation form because the sonority of the instrument isn't as well suited to constantly introducing and differentiating new material.

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on October 27, 2015, 01:38:56 AM
For non-piano variation sets, there is Robert Simpson's 9th String Quartet, consisting of 32 (I think) palindromic variations and a fugue on a theme by Haydn (the minuet of the Symphony No. 47). Lasts about an hour if I recall correctly.

Thanks for reminding me of this . . . and I know a friend from whom I can borrow it . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Fresh from Forbes:

NOV 25, 2015
The Real Top 10 Bach Recordings

Bach, the Grand Master

There is something about the music of Johann Sebastian Bach that puts it in a category of its own.
Bach is the P.G. Wodehouse and the Shakespeare of the musical score rolled into one. He is the
only composer on whom I cannot overdose, and while his music seemed dated to his own, slightly
embarrassed sons, it strikes us as perfectly timeless now. His works pillars of mankind's culture,
and his music constitute the first tracks etched onto the golden record Voyager record that sails
toward hypothetical distant galactic civilizations. I should think that potential aliens might rather
get too sanguine an impression of us* ... but there we go: Bach is the bee's knees, and anyone
who knows Bach but doesn't love his music is going to be suspect to me, lest I learn a exculpatory
reason for their lamentable deficiency.

The Gramophone Bias

Gramophone Magazine is the only English language magazine that combines serious CD-reviewing
with the glossy, popular magazine approach. I used to read it religiously and got many of my first
hints, tastes, and opinions from its pages. BBC Music Magazine gets close; Classic FM Magazine
lasted nearly twenty years but wasn't taken seriously by the cogniscenti. No-nonsense, no-picture
publications like the American Record Guide or Fanfare Magazine (both American), which exude the
charm of telephone books, are total geek literature, arcane, loved by the few dedicated readers, and
more or less published out of the basements of their respective, dedicated publishers... private
ventures and labors of love that, like the lamented International Record Review, won't likely survive
their founders.

In my time as a clerk at Tower Records, we would sometimes make fun of Gramophone Magazine's
rather obvious pro-English biases. "Proximity bias" or "mere exposure effect" might be the appropriate
euphemism for them being unabashed homers. And indeed, when they published a "10 Best Bach
Recordings" list published early last year, they topped it in such a ridiculous way that it needed soft
rebutting which I hope to provide hereby...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2015/11/25/the-real-top-10-bach-recordings/

Jo498

I have not heard the Guttenberg (and probably will not get it) but I also remember that passage "Wahrlich, wahrlich, dieser ist Gottes Sohn gewesen" from the first time I ever heard the piece on the radio (one of the Richter recordings, I think) and I found that most subsequent interpretations I have heard take it to quickly. Richter's broad tempo might not be historically correct but in most other readings this moment passes far too quickly.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

jochanaan

Imagination + discipline = creativity