Poll

Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello

BWV 1001 - 1006 (v)
BWV 1007 - 1012 (c)

Author Topic: [Desert Island]Bach: Sonatas & Partitas for Solo Violin vs Suites for Solo Cello  (Read 6035 times)

Offline Keemun

• Veteran member
  • It's a cup of Keemun tea, of course.
Definitely the Cello Suites, and probably Fournier. 8)  The Violin Partitas give me a headache (literally). :P
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. ~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
I have to go with the Suites for Cello.  My favorite is Paolo Beschi on Winter & Winter.

Cello suites.

And, yes, Beschi is such an amazing advocate for these works.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Cello 'n' Casals all the way!
“Bloody hell!... I could use a drink!”

Franco

Okay, after listening to both the Cello Suites (Fournier) and the Solo Violin Sonatas & Partitas (Podger), I can now say that I would prefer the violin pieces to the cello set.

The sound of the violin, at least from Rachel Podger, is enchantingly beuatiful, and lighter, not as dark as the cello - which all adds up to my ear becoming less tired from extended listening, which, on a desert island, would be an issue.

DavidW

The sound of the violin, at least from Rachel Podger, is enchantingly beuatiful, and lighter, not as dark as the cello - which all adds up to my ear becoming less tired from extended listening, which, on a desert island, would be an issue.

I think that in general treble-y music is more exhausting to listen to.  Listening to solo violin music is easily fatiguing while the same can't be said for the cello.

DavidW

In fact I was thinking of it more, and to me I think why I dislike those famous solo violin works is that the violin by itself is simply too bright, listening to only it is simply too exhausting.  I think that's why it's usually coupled with something bassy to give a fuller range.  Violin sonata = violin & piano, string quartet = cello in the mix, piano trio= piano and cello, orchestra=well duh!

Now a piano stands on it's own easily because of it's full range, it doesn't assault the ears with the aggressive forward sound a violin makes, nor is it stuck with a dark sound like the cello.  No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

Franco

I think that in general treble-y music is more exhausting to listen to.  Listening to solo violin music is easily fatiguing while the same can't be said for the cello.

Obviously, we disagree.

:)

George

In fact I was thinking of it more, and to me I think why I dislike those famous solo violin works is that the violin by itself is simply too bright, listening to only it is simply too exhausting. 

Absolutely.

Now a piano stands on it's own easily because of it's full range, it doesn't assault the ears with the aggressive forward sound a violin makes, nor is it stuck with a dark sound like the cello.  No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

Piano is king!  $:)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
Okay, after listening to both the Cello Suites (Fournier) and the Solo Violin Sonatas & Partitas (Podger), I can now say that I would prefer the violin pieces to the cello set.

Interesting exercise: to compare two HIP sets with one another, and then two non-HIP/old-school sets. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
No it offers the world in one instrument, it's the only I can think of that can really hold it's own. 8)

The organ!

King Harry already declared it as the Master of all Instruments. 0:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member

Organ and guitar as well.  :)
“Bloody hell!... I could use a drink!”

Franco

Snare drum, actually.

Don't believe me - try it yourself.

;)

DavidW

Right, yeah I will add the organ to the list, didn't think of that. :)

ChamberNut

David/Franco,

Why don't you compromise and take half of each set of suites, both played by the Viola!  :D

DavidW

David/Franco,

Why don't you compromise and take half of each set of suites, both played by the Viola!  :D

That sounds like a good compromise. :)

Offline Opus106

• Veteran member
  • Bachafugaholic
That sounds like a good compromise. :)

The Desert Island Rules are, of course, uncompromising. >:D
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

The Desert Island Rules are, of course, uncompromising. >:D

Rules are meant to be broken!  Let chaos rule!!!  >:D $:) >:D

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
Neither!  >:D

I'd rather be stranded in the company of the keyboard music and the cantatas.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:51:39 PM by Wanderer »

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
I can't pretend to be very knowledgable with Bach, but these two works are my favourites of his. As nice as the violin pieces are, if forced to pick one, the cello suites become a natural choice due to the perfect balance of the six - each one an incredible piece of music, with diverse moods and perfect contrasts.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline henry

Definitely the violin suites/sonatas!

Violin all the way!!