GMG Green Thumb Club

Started by Mozart, August 21, 2009, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 21, 2020, 07:41:12 AM
There maybe some confusion as in the US a courgette is called a zucchini. What about marrow though? A courgette/zucchini is not an overgrown marrow but maybe in the US it is?

The pic is of a courgette - which I have allowed to get too big, ideally half that size - and a marrow.
Is a marrow, in the United Kingdom, always a specific variety and striped like that?  And are the skins a lot tougher?  Here, I've used some big (overgrown) zucchini (your dark green courgette) for stuffing at times.  I want to experiment more with a Middle Eastern type, called kousa, for stuffing.  It's pale green and plumper at the bottom end.  This article will give you an idea:  https://thelemonbowl.com/lebanese-stuffed-kousa-squash/

I don't recall hearing anyone around my area refer to them as marrows before; I normally associated marrow with bone marrow and things like osso buco.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 21, 2020, 08:21:53 AM
Is a marrow, in the United Kingdom, always a specific variety and striped like that?  And are the skins a lot tougher?  Here, I've used some big (overgrown) zucchini (your dark green courgette) for stuffing at times.  I want to experiment more with a Middle Eastern type, called kousa, for stuffing.  It's pale green and plumper at the bottom end.  This article will give you an idea:  https://thelemonbowl.com/lebanese-stuffed-kousa-squash/

I don't recall hearing anyone around my area refer to them as marrows before; I normally associated marrow with bone marrow and things like osso buco.  :)

PD

I am getting the feeling something is lost in translation, P. Great recipe by the way, love Middle East food. Stuffed marrows are an option but we just slice and serve with mince. Courgettes are on the menu this evening, again sliced with chorizo and pasta.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 22, 2020, 06:22:57 AM
I am getting the feeling something is lost in translation, P. Great recipe by the way, love Middle East food. Stuffed marrows are an option but we just slice and serve with mince. Courgettes are on the menu this evening, again sliced with chorizo and pasta.
What time shall I arrive for dinner?  And can I bring anything?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 22, 2020, 06:28:14 AM
What time shall I arrive for dinner?  And can I bring anything?  :)

PD

Yourself, and a bottle of Italian plonk.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Growing large marrows for competitions is popular here in the UK. The Wallace and Gromit film The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was made by Aardman but financed from the USA. One of the US producers wanted to change 'marrow' to 'squash' (I think) as US viewers wouldn't understand 'marrow' . I am not sure what the outcome was but the film released in the UK used 'marrow'.

Here is Gromit's competition marrow.

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on August 22, 2020, 07:26:25 AM
Growing large marrows for competitions is popular here in the UK. The Wallace and Gromit film The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was made by Aardman but financed from the USA. One of the US producers wanted to change 'marrow' to 'squash' (I think) as US viewers wouldn't understand 'marrow' . I am not sure what the outcome was but the film released in the UK used 'marrow'.

Here is Gromit's competition marrow.

I wonder if Gromit put it in his barrow?

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on August 23, 2020, 12:40:50 AM
I wonder if Gromit put it in his barrow?

;D

To be thorough, I'd borrow a narrow barrow of marrow in peterborough tomorrow... And return it to Barrow, in fairness  :blank:

TD: i struggle keeping herb pots alive on a balcony so i am not really much use to this thread  :laugh:
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

I remember watching that film (years ago); can't remember which term was used, but I was able to keep up with what was going on!  ;D

There are also those in the US who like to enter in such competitions.  Personally, I've never known anyone who has entered in them; we all do it by accident!   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 23, 2020, 12:58:39 AM
;D

To be thorough, I'd borrow a narrow barrow of marrow in peterborough tomorrow... And return it to Barrow, in fairness  :blank:

;D

TD: i struggle keeping herb pots alive on a balcony so i am not really much use to this thread  :laugh:

Szykneij

Even though it's 9 degrees F. here at the moment and snow is covering the ground, the seed catalogs are showing up in the mail and thoughts are turning to gardening.

I was lucky to have been able to purchase a piece of land adjacent to mine which I was able to clear for my vegetable garden. I am a lover of trees and didn't have too many sunny areas prior to that, so my vegetable garden was smaller than I would have liked. I do have lots of shade-loving plants in the original yard, as well as a perennial garden in the corner.

The new land, unfortunately, was covered with Japanese Knotweed. No one can appreciate how terribly awful that plant is until you try to get rid of it. It is the coronavirus of the plant world. It seems the UK is much more aware of how bad it is because most of the research I've found on it comes from there. The picture below shows me holding some of the roots I dug up. After spending an entire summer digging and realizing I didn't make a dent in it, I decided the best thing to do was to just get along with it. So, I regularly fire up the lawnmower and weed whacker and chop it up as it emerges. Pulling it up as it pops up while picturing someone's face that I don't like on it as I do so can be cathartic. (I named a lot of them "Donald" for some reason over the last couple of years  :P  ).

At any rate, the second picture shows it as it now appears in the growing season. I plant all of my vegetables in large 10-gallon pots for the time being. I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

(Not sure why I can't get the photos to appear rightside up)
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

André

Impressive and nice looking. I like the way you made the path non-linear. Very pleasing to the eye !

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 31, 2021, 04:39:49 AM
Even though it's 9 degrees F. here at the moment and snow is covering the ground, the seed catalogs are showing up in the mail and thoughts are turning to gardening.

I was lucky to have been able to purchase a piece of land adjacent to mine which I was able to clear for my vegetable garden. I am a lover of trees and didn't have too many sunny areas prior to that, so my vegetable garden was smaller than I would have liked. I do have lots of shade-loving plants in the original yard, as well as a perennial garden in the corner.

The new land, unfortunately, was covered with Japanese Knotweed. No one can appreciate how terribly awful that plant is until you try to get rid of it. It is the coronavirus of the plant world. It seems the UK is much more aware of how bad it is because most of the research I've found on it comes from there. The picture below shows me holding some of the roots I dug up. After spending an entire summer digging and realizing I didn't make a dent in it, I decided the best thing to do was to just get along with it. So, I regularly fire up the lawnmower and weed whacker and chop it up as it emerges. Pulling it up as it pops up while picturing someone's face that I don't like on it as I do so can be cathartic. (I named a lot of them "Donald" for some reason over the last couple of years  :P  ).

At any rate, the second picture shows it as it now appears in the growing season. I plant all of my vegetables in large 10-gallon pots for the time being. I grow mostly tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.

Like you, I hate Japanese knotweed!  I have heard though that one can cook the young shoots--grilling them at least; have yet to try it.

Regarding your comments about seed catalogues arriving now, you might appreciate this.  It's a print done by a friend of mine:

Her name is Ann Eldridge.  I think that you might enjoy them.  They are mostly having to do with nature, animals, plants, bugs, gardening....This image/print is called "Seed Catalogues Arrive In January".   https://www.jaeldridge.com

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 31, 2021, 08:47:48 AM
Like you, I hate Japanese knotweed!  I have heard though that one can cook the young shoots--grilling them at least; have yet to try it.

Her name is Ann Eldridge.  I think that you might enjoy them.  They are mostly having to do with nature, animals, plants, bugs, gardening....This image/print is called "Seed Catalogues Arrive In January".   https://www.jaeldridge.com

PD

Very nice website. Beautiful prints!
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on January 31, 2021, 09:57:02 AM
Very nice website. Beautiful prints!
Glad that you enjoyed looking around.  I've purchased a few of them over the years.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

Quote from: Szykneij on January 31, 2021, 04:39:49 AM

Are you managing to grow any vegetables in it?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Szykneij

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2021, 12:21:28 PM
Are you managing to grow any vegetables in it?

For the time being, I'm using large pots for my vegetables. Ultimately, I might build raised beds, but I'm hesitant to put vegetables or flowers directly in the ground before the knotweed is better under control. I have put in a number of trees, though.

Mandryka

Quote from: Szykneij on January 31, 2021, 12:37:28 PM
For the time being, I'm using large pots for my vegetables. Ultimately, I might build raised beds, but I'm hesitant to put vegetables or flowers directly in the ground before the knotweed is better under control. I have put in a number of trees, though.

I am pretty sure you will have to get someone to poison it. The roots go very deep. It'll be interesting to see if the trees establish.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Szykneij

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2021, 08:09:22 PM
I am pretty sure you will have to get someone to poison it. The roots go very deep. It'll be interesting to see if the trees establish.

Herbicides are out of the question. I won't use anything that would endanger my pets, the birds, squirrels, and rabbits that roam through there, or any humans. Even to go that route, it takes heavy doses at particular growing stages over the course of years.

You're right about how deep the roots go. I discovered first hand that once a layer is removed, there always seems to be another network even deeper. The most effective control is to bring in a bulldozer, remove all the dirt 8 to 10 feet deep as if you were putting in a building foundation, and refill with new soil. That's not something I'm willing to attempt either.

For me, I'll just go with the flow and maybe try cooking some of the new shoots like PD mentioned.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Szykneij on February 01, 2021, 02:02:01 AM
Herbicides are out of the question. I won't use anything that would endanger my pets, the birds, squirrels, and rabbits that roam through there, or any humans. Even to go that route, it takes heavy doses at particular growing stages over the course of years.

You're right about how deep the roots go. I discovered first hand that once a layer is removed, there always seems to be another network even deeper. The most effective control is to bring in a bulldozer, remove all the dirt 8 to 10 feet deep as if you were putting in a building foundation, and refill with new soil. That's not something I'm willing to attempt either.

For me, I'll just go with the flow and maybe try cooking some of the new shoots like PD mentioned.  :)
Wow, I hadn't realized that they went so deep!  I had thought that they were more on the shallow side?   :(

What varieties of tomatoes, etc. do you grow in your containers?  I've been doing a combo of growing some veggies in pots and others in the ground.  From what I've seen and heard over the years, container growing of veggies (or using bags) is much more popular in the UK vs. the US.  Would love to hear of favorites from you and others here.

I did bring in some of my herbs to overwinter them here:  my (too big) lemon verbena plant sits in front of a window; I have a two-tier plant growing stand which has a oregano plant, a golden lemon thyme plant, some flat-leafed parsley and some chives.  Upstairs in an attic room (with low windows and facing south), are a sage plant, some German thyme and a marjoram plant.  The trick is remembering to water the plants up in the attic and regularly!  ::)

PD

p.s.  What about cutting down all of the knotweed and then covering over the area with black tarps for awhile?  Do you think that that would help much?
Pohjolas Daughter

Szykneij

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 01, 2021, 04:15:59 AM
Wow, I hadn't realized that they went so deep!  I had thought that they were more on the shallow side?   :(

What varieties of tomatoes, etc. do you grow in your containers?  I've been doing a combo of growing some veggies in pots and others in the ground.  From what I've seen and heard over the years, container growing of veggies (or using bags) is much more popular in the UK vs. the US.  Would love to hear of favorites from you and others here.

I did bring in some of my herbs to overwinter them here:  my (too big) lemon verbena plant sits in front of a window; I have a two-tier plant growing stand which has a oregano plant, a golden lemon thyme plant, some flat-leafed parsley and some chives.  Upstairs in an attic room (with low windows and facing south), are a sage plant, some German thyme and a marjoram plant.  The trick is remembering to water the plants up in the attic and regularly!  ::)

PD

p.s.  What about cutting down all of the knotweed and then covering over the area with black tarps for awhile?  Do you think that that would help much?

I start tomato seedlings in my cellar (where I take my plants in as you do to your attic) under lights early. My favorite variety to grow is Sungold, and I save seeds from year to year for those plants. This year I have Old German, Oxheart, Tiny Tim, Black Krim, Abe Lincoln, Giant Belgium, Polish Paste, Cherokee Purple, Costoluto Genovese, Paul Robeson, Manitoba, Pruden's Purple, and others on tap. In the past, I've started 200+ seedlings, bringing a tray of plants into work each day for people to take home. I have to force myself to cut back this year since I'm now retired (although I could still bring plants in on visits.)

When we had a bathroom put in a few years ago, the plumbers put a faucet in near where I keep my plants, so watering inside is much easier than it was.

I did cover the area where I grow the veggies with black tarp, which has been helpful.