Author Topic: Edgard Varese  (Read 29713 times)

Offline steve ridgway

• Currently Listening to:
    A Steinway and a xylophone falling in slow motion down endless flights of stairs
Re: Edgard Varese
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
Anyone listening to Varèse lately?

I have one CD of his music: Kent Nagano conducting the ONF, Vol. 1 of the complete works, on Erato. I got it at a record store in Chicago. It includes Amériques, Offrandes, Hyperprism, Octandre, and Arcana. I return to it every once in a while and, while usually enjoying what I hear, it does not typically end up leaving a big impression for me. I think the problem is that I don't really know what his music is all about, who his influences were, what kind of philosophies (or lack thereof) guided his music. But every so often I will read that a composer I really respect and enjoy—be it Boulez, Feldman, or whoever else—idolized Varèse. Given this I hope to one day understand his music.

Are there any good reading materials (or videos) out there that might help me understand what his music is all about?

I enjoy that one and a couple of other complete works. I don’t understand them as such, they’ve just grown on me with repeated listens.

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
Re: Edgard Varese
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
Are there any good reading materials (or videos) out there that might help me understand what his music is all about?

There are a couple of french TV documentaries that are quite worthwhile. For reading materials, the following is essential:

There are also two french books I recommend, even if they are somewhat old: Odile Vivier and Fernand Ouelette. 
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole