Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Augustus

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 25, 2016, 11:35:29 AM
The Eighth is THE Brian symphony, but I didn't mention it because it isn't available anymore. Or is it?

The Groves 8 & 9 disc is currently available, but only as one disc in the Warner box set (32 discs?) of his EMI recordings of English music.  But a lot of money if you don't want the rest.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 25, 2016, 11:06:17 AM
Hi, Josh. There is a lot to choose from at the moment. Excellent recordings are: 1) (Lyrita) symphonies 6 & 16; (Dutton) symphonies 10 & 30 plus English Suite 3 and the Concerto for Orchestra; vol. 2 of the (Toccata) Orchestral Works with suites and pieces from HB's operas; the latest ofering: (Dutton) symphonies 2 & 14; and the first recording of all: symphonies 10 & 21 (label escapes me, Heritage?)

But there is much more!
Yes, Heritage.
http://www.heritage-records.com/classical-orchestral-cd-album-titles/havergal-brian-the-first-commercial-recordings

Maestro267

Well, this is a magnificent recording of the 2nd & 14th Symphonies! I've only heard No. 14 once so I'll reserve judgment until I'm more familiar with it. But I already knew the 2nd is a great work, and now it has a worthy recording.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 27, 2016, 10:14:03 AM
But I already knew the 2nd is a great work, and now it has a worthy recording.

Yes. And yes.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Another craggily approachable composer gets a recording. I'll probably get banned for posting this here,but I think Daniel Jones is the sort of composer that a Brianite might enjoy.........and it also just goes to show that (as we all know here) that all good things come to those who impatiently wait! It's due for release on January 6th;but admirers of his music will hopefully be able to get a copy from Musicweb a bit earlier! Great cover photo. It reminds me of the old emi Lp of Brian's Symphonies 8 & 9. Not that they are similar;but they are both great photos,imho!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I like Daniel Jones's music. The three or four symphonies I listened to made a very favourable impression. Good to see another recording coming.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 07, 2016, 04:56:39 AM
Another craggily approachable composer gets a recording. I'll probably get banned for posting this here,but I think Daniel Jones is the sort of composer that a Brianite might enjoy.........and it also just goes to show that (as we all know here) that all good things come to those who impatiently wait! It's due for release on January 6th;but admirers of his music will hopefully be able to get a copy from Musicweb a bit earlier! Great cover photo. It reminds me of the old emi Lp of Brian's Symphonies 8 & 9. Not that they are similar;but they are both great photos,imho!

I agree with you. I listened to Daniel Jones's fine Symphony 8 released on an earlier Lyrita release. Other composers whose music, I feel, might appeal to Brianites are Carlos Chavez, especially his Symphony 1 'Antigona' and Robin Orr's wonderful Symphony in One Movement. cilgwyn and I will share a cell in the GMG Sin Bin for going off piste.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2016, 08:03:14 AM
I agree with you. I listened to Daniel Jones's fine Symphony 8 released on an earlier Lyrita release. Other composers whose music, I feel, might appeal to Brianites are Carlos Chavez, especially his Symphony 1 'Antigona' and Robin Orr's wonderful Symphony in One Movement. cilgwyn and I will share a cell in the GMG Sin Bin for going off piste.
8)

Cell? Not if I can help it. I know and love Orr's symphony, courtesy of John Whitmore, and I listened to Chavez' music many years ago - rugged and rhythmic, and a bit austere.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I'll get into Brian when there's a full box set of his symphonies available. Keep me posted please!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 12:06:09 PM
I'll get into Brian when there's a full box set of his symphonies available. Keep me posted please!

Ergo: You'll never hear any Brian symphony... Currently there are multiple companies involved: Lyrita, EMI, Naxos, Toccata, Dutton, Heritage... I don't think they'll be banding together to give us your box!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 12:06:09 PM

Hah! You know that's not going to happen in our lifetimes (or at least mine). But you knew that already, didn't you  ;)  I think you should explore what is avaiable...not saying it will necessarily appeal, no, but you should at least give him a chance. There's nothing quite like him.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Out of all the old quirky Brits there are from the first half of the 20th Century, I do prefer Brian to most. I'm not a Brian nutter like you lot, but I like what I've heard!

As for particularly essential recordings for the casual listener of Brian (not a Brian nutter), what are some CDs to look out for in particular? I'm interested in modern recordings rather than old ones (because of sound quality mainly but also a better interpretation)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 01:42:28 PM
As for particularly essential recordings for the casual listener of Brian (not a Brian nutter), what are some CDs to look out for in particular? I'm interested in modern recordings rather than old ones (because of sound quality mainly but also a better interpretation)

My choices (without the Gothic....I prefer Boult and Lenard but most would probably pick Brabbins):

5, 19, 27

7, 8, 9, 31

2, 14

10, 30

17, 32

Sarge

ComposerOfAvantGarde

What years are they from?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 03:42:22 PM
What years are they from?

They are all "modern" recordings...nothing wrong with their sonics. The Duttons are recent (within the last few years). The EMI twofer is 1978 and 1988 and sounds splendid, with Mackerras and Groves providing well-led performances. The Naxos 17 and 32 is from 1992.

Sarge

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2016, 03:54:19 PM
They are all "modern" recordings...nothing wrong with their sonics. The Duttons are recent (within the last few years). The EMI twofer is 1978 and 1988 and sounds splendid, with Mackerras and Groves providing well-led performances. The Naxos 17 and 32 is from 1992.

Sarge
I see why you put the word 'modern' in inverted commas  (:

I will try to hunt these down closer to Christmas

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
I see why you put the word 'modern' in inverted commas  (:

At my age I label everything modern unless it's more than 70 years old  :D

Seriously, you don't listen to Boulez recordings from the 70s and 80s? You think they sound bad?  ???

Sarge

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 12, 2016, 04:33:19 PM
At my age I label everything modern unless it's more than 70 years old  :D

Seriously, you don't listen to Boulez recordings from the 70s and 80s? You think they sound bad?  ???

Sarge
I do listen to old Boulez recordings from the 50s to the 80s and they mostly do have excellent sound quality..........except for some of the really early ones

I think one thing that would should probably be taken more into consideration is that more recent recordings of old repertoire like Brian symphonies would be better than the early recordings of them. Musicians will be more familiar with them. There would have been more musicological research made that helps musicians to understand the work and can use as more basis for interpretation. There would be a greater variety of very good recordings available.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: jessop on November 12, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
I think one thing that would should probably be taken more into consideration is that more recent recordings of old repertoire like Brian symphonies would be better than the early recordings of them. Musicians will be more familiar with them. There would have been more musicological research made that helps musicians to understand the work and can use as more basis for interpretation. There would be a greater variety of very good recordings available.
The modern recordings are very good, but I am always amazed how well the conductors and orchestras coped in the BBC recordings of the Brian symphonies from the 1950s to the the 70s. Considering not how difficult the music is and how unlike anyone else's they did a great job.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

John Whitmore

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 12, 2016, 06:39:39 PM
The modern recordings are very good, but I am always amazed how well the conductors and orchestras coped in the BBC recordings of the Brian symphonies from the 1950s to the the 70s. Considering not how difficult the music is and how unlike anyone else's they did a great job.
Mmm. I must disagree. Brian's music is sometimes awkwardly written but it's not especially demanding from a technical point of view. Professional musicians from the 1950s and earlier were more than capable of sight reading music that is basically tonal. In terms of coping they only thing they had to cope with was limited rehearsal time and conductors who may have been new to the music. Don't forget that even the LSSO had a decent crack at Brian and recorded it after just a few rehearsals - it wasn't in their standard repertoire and had to be fitted in as a one off project. Was Brian harder than Walton's Partita, Shostakovitch 10, Nielsen 5 ,Tippett 2, Ives Three Places - to name just a few works performed by the LSSO? Sorry but the answer is a resounding no. Just because Brian sounds a wee bit strange doesn't mean that it's hard to play.