Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 03:08:03 AM
And hopefully the book will follow! :)
I rather like calyptorhyncus' idea of using modern technology to 'tweak' the Hull Youth SO into tune. So much time and possible expense when you can just make some new professional recordings,though! ;D I will grit my teeth and have another listen to the Fantastic Variations soon,for that thrilling climax with organ,you single out! I seem to remember vandermolen saying he quite liked their recording of Bantock! I'm not sure,but wasn't that the recording that killed the Hull Youth SO/Cameo collaboration off? Bad reviews,I think? I've actually been listening to recordings of Die Fledermaus for the last few days!! ??? ;D The LSSO recordings next!!
For my money,the Hull Youth SO orchestra are still better than the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra. Their recordings of Louis Glass are as bad as it gets. At least the Hull Youth SO had an excuse!!
Sorry but no such technology exists. You can't tweak a two track recording and just somehow change the violins and leave everything else as is. Doesn't work that way. In some of my transcriptions I've had to carry out pitch corrections but that's a different issue and quite easy to do. e.g the Brian piano disc which was just a tad flat.

John Whitmore

I rather like calyptorhyncus' idea of using modern technology to 'tweak' the Hull Youth SO into tune. So much time and possible expense when you can just make some new professional recordings,though! ;D I will grit my teeth and have another listen to the Fantastic Variations soon,for that thrilling climax with organ,you single out! I seem to remember vandermolen saying he quite liked their recording of Bantock! I'm not sure,but wasn't that the recording that killed the Hull Youth SO/Cameo collaboration off? Bad reviews,I think? I've actually been listening to recordings of Die Fledermaus for the last few days!! ??? ;D The LSSO recordings next!!
For my money,the Hull Youth SO orchestra are still better than the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra. Their recordings of Louis Glass are as bad as it gets. At least the Hull Youth SO had an excuse!!
Their Bantock is better than the Brian but the distant wishy washy acoustic covers a multitude of sins. No plans to release this either. The string playing simply isn't acceptable.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 07:35:03 AM
With due respect,I think I'd rather listen to a cd-r of John's neighbours cutting down trees!! ::) ;D
And by the way,I'm putting cd 2 of this set on,now. I will start with Symphony No 22,though;as I haven't listened to any Brian symphonies for a while!! ::) :-[

At least the chain saw is in tune.  :D

John Whitmore

Cilgwyn, was it you who sent me the Opera Viva 2 LP set? Although I made a transcription for Klassic Haus, Heritage has now asked if they can use it as a new release. Myself and Curt Timmons have said yes and will not ask for any fee, just a mention in the booklet. If it happens it's only right that we include a line such as "LPs courtesy of Cilgwyn (forgot your name!!)". Lewis Foreman is keen on the idea and we might add some previously unreleased stuff to pad the set out.

cilgwyn

No,this would be Albion,I presume? Do you mean the Lp set of excerpts from rare English operas? Albion posts regularly at the Art Music Forum,if you want to contact him.

I'm going to brave their string section after I've listened to the LSSO recordings,which I will be putting on shortly! I was wondering myself about those strings,and how much they can do to old recordings,besides merely cleaning them up,getting rid of surface noise,etc. I've also heard about missing notes being added to old recordings. I think one was a Mahler Barbirolli (I'll have to find the cd;it's in the booklet) and one that shocked me! Transfers of Lp Recordings that were apparently speeded up,imperceptibly,so the recording would fit on a single cd. But done in such a way that the average listener wouldn't notice. Again,I think this applies to some Barbirolli,or even Klemperer recordings,and the old Chalabala 1960's recordings of Dvorak's Eben tone poems! Is this true?!!  I remember looking at the timings,and comparing,and they did seem different!! This would be emi and Supraphon,if true?!
I also know that they can perform all kinds of marvels with old movies. You get good prints,and then you get studio jobs  on old movies with access to the master prints and they look almost brand new! Some prints positively sparkle,they look so good. If it wasn't for the old cars and costumes I could almost believe they were new (albeit filmed in b& w).

Johan:I've got another hat,I still haven't had the courage to put on. It looks okay on my father,but he's eighty five! I'm waiting for a rainy day. No one will notice then. Or maybe one dark night? I was just posting about Langgaard on the "What are you listening to now" thread (they think I'm listening to that Brian cd!) and it occurred to me that,I seem to remember reading that  Rued used to like taking walks at three in the morning. Maybe that would be a good time? I haven't got any too-short trousers,though!! ::) :( ;D
Maybe a Rued Langgaard appreciation society could be fun?!! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I would certainly join that society. And also buy the requisite trousers.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

kishnevi

Fedoras are rather modish now, albeit Havergal's hat is a trifle higher and squarer than current trends. I have a dozen or so, including straw hats (boaters, I think they were called back in the day).  Very useful to wear when baseball caps* are not suitable to the place or outfit.

*What do they call them in Britain? I have caps aplenty for several sports including football, hockey, basketball, and soccer. Manchester United, Chelsea Rangers, and Madrid Real. Two for Chelsea...and I actually know nothing about the teams, just bought then for the look. And two caps not sport related but Boston related (my home town).

So wear that hat and do Havergal proud.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

It's been a woolly hat (thermal machine knit,not bobble type) for the last few months. It started to get a bit warmer recently,which is why I bought that other hat. Luckily the weather has deteriorated a little,so I was able to wear the woolly hat today! It could look a bit odd when the weather starts to get hot,though. If it does? I notice some youngsters wear hoodies up over their heads even in July and August;so there may be hope. Otherwise,it's the green,rimmed hat. It is waterproof,so once it rains I will get my chance. A fedora,though?!! ::) ??? A waistcoat,perhaps? I'll look like a waiter,though!!

cilgwyn

Psalm 23 is quite stirring in places. Not sure it's Brian at his best,though. The LSSO performance of No 22 sweeps you right into his soundworld. I'm going to have to listen to the Naxos performance again,now. The sound on this Heritage set is terrific. I love the sound of the LSSO strings in the Reverie movement of English Suite No 5. It makes you feel a bit sorry for those Hull Youth Players. I wonder what they would have made of it?! ??? :o :o :o ;D

Hattoff

It was me who sent John the Opera Viva double album, I think,...my memory is not what it should have been. John made a very good transcription and there's some good music there.

cilgwyn

Just posted this on the "What are you listening to now" thread.

"Let's hear it for Britain's own answer to Rued Langgaard! ;D Actually,the only similarity is that they were both outsiders and prolific. One great day there will a boxed set of the complete Brian symphonies like there is for Langgaard. In the meantime there is a new Naxos cd of his symphonies lined up for Autumn release,a recording of vocal and early orchestral works planned for July,for release on the Dutton label and Naxos are,apparently,already planning a follow up to their Autumn release of more symphonies!! In the meantime I'm playing these premiere recordings of Brian symphonies by the LSSO. Eat your heart out Rued!! :P ;D"

Erm,I just thought. I hope you don't mind me posting about this potential Naxos follow up?!! ::) :-[

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 03, 2017, 04:51:49 AM
I'm continuing to do some work with Klassic Haus, Heritage and Nimbus (Cameo Classics). Cameo is a strange label with a few hidden gems, including a restoration I made of the Brian piano music http://www.wyastone.co.uk/havergal-brian-the-complete-music-for-piano.html   Quick question. One CD that we have so far not released is the Hull/Brian set. Cards on table. The playing is not very good (I am trying to be polite) and the general view is that it really shouldn't be released. The LSSO/Heritage has historic significance and some remarkable playing. Can the Hull set have any such claims? Thoughts please. Going off topic here's a fine set of the Brandenburgs (Harry Newstone) I've transferred on behalf of Heritage in conjunction with Klassic Haus http://www.mdt.co.uk/bach-brandenburg-concertos-1-6-harry-newstone-heritage-2cds.html
Thanks and I already have symphonies 8 and 14 with Myer Fredman/Edward Downes conducting the RPO and LSO. I've always rated Fredman's Bax recordings on Lyrita very much and Downes's version of Bax's Third Symphony on RCA is my favourite recorded performance although infuriatingly never released on CD.  The HB Symphony 8 is a nice compliment to the Groves recording and I hadn't realised how good Symphony 14 is although I have a recording on Dutton. I also ordered another copy of the Symphony 3 Pope recording for a fellow HB nutter friend and - it came without the notes from our own Johan  >:D >:D >:D. So, I sent them a stroppy message and received an apology claiming that I'd mistakenly been sent an earlier batch - they are sending me the notes separately. Johan, did you provide notes for symphonies 8 and 14 too?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 11:38:16 PM
Just posted this on the "What are you listening to now" thread.

"Let's hear it for Britain's own answer to Rued Langgaard! ;D Actually,the only similarity is that they were both outsiders and prolific. One great day there will a boxed set of the complete Brian symphonies like there is for Langgaard. In the meantime there is a new Naxos cd of his symphonies lined up for Autumn release,a recording of vocal and early orchestral works planned for July,for release on the Dutton label and Naxos are,apparently,already planning a follow up to their Autumn release of more symphonies!! In the meantime I'm playing these premiere recordings of Brian symphonies by the LSSO. Eat your heart out Rued!! :P ;D"

Erm,I just thought. I hope you don't mind me posting about this potential Naxos follow up?!! ::) :-[
I love that fine LSSO set with the fine photo on the front. I wish we had the Hull Youth Orchestra recording of Bantock's Hebriddean Symphony on CD too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2017, 11:58:17 PM
I love that fine LSSO set with the fine photo on the front. I wish we had the Hull Youth Orchestra recording of Bantock's Hebriddean Symphony on CD too.
There you are,John! You're call! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 05, 2017, 12:00:49 AM
There you are,John! You're call! ;D
By the way, I still enjoyed your 'Pope' joke.  :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2017, 11:54:36 PM
I also ordered another copy of the Symphony 3 Pope recording for a fellow HB nutter friend and - it came without the notes from our own Johan  >:D >:D >:D . So, I sent them a stroppy message and received an apology claiming that I'd mistakenly been sent an earlier batch - they are sending me the notes separately. Johan, did you provide notes for symphonies 8 and 14 too?

I did them all, Jeffrey. I'll attach them here, for those interested...

P.S. Have to look for 8 and 14...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Cannot find a file with liner notes for 8 and 14. So I'll attach a jpg.

J.Z. Herrenberg

The final one, for the Violin Concerto and Symphony No. 28.

cilgwyn

Thank you,Johan. Unfortunately,a message is popping up telling me I need Office for the others!! :(