Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2017, 12:58:10 AM
The Prodigal Son returns... 'I'll be back' - but that's a different franchise... Enjoy your mug, and Brabbins!

Thank you!

I've always identified with Arnie  :D

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

John Whitmore

You will find this somewhat strange. I have all the Gothic recordings but don't much care for the piece. It's probably done more harm than good to the composer's reputation. I sometimes listen to the orchestral part but rarely venture any further, except for the final few bars which are utterly inspired. I enjoy the Curro for it's enthusiasm, sense of occasion and freshness despite the orchestra being less than immaculate. Overall I would go for the LSO and Schmidt but all of them are OK. Just get them all and enjoy the ride (until the singing kicks in!  :) )

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 19, 2017, 01:38:18 AM
You will find this somewhat strange. I have all the Gothic recordings but don't much care for the piece. It's probably done more harm than good to the composer's reputation. I sometimes listen to the orchestral part but rarely venture any further, except for the final few bars which are utterly inspired. I enjoy the Curro for it's enthusiasm, sense of occasion and freshness despite the orchestra being less than immaculate. Overall I would go for the LSO and Schmidt but all of them are OK. Just get them all and enjoy the ride (until the singing kicks in!  :) )

Very interesting post. I agree and love the orchestral sections of the 'Gothic' and also agree that the final bars are indeed wonderful. Cumulatively though, especially in concert, it is a magnificent work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

The 'Judex' movement of Part 2 is extraordinary. I never had any problems with the other movements, either. I agree with John that The Gothic probably did Brian a disservice, not because of anything he or it did, but because it created all kinds of misconceptions about the composer and his work.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2017, 02:21:49 AM
The 'Judex' movement of Part 2 is extraordinary. I never had any problems with the other movements, either. I agree with John that The Gothic probably did Brian a disservice, not because of anything he or it did, but because it created all kinds of misconceptions about the composer and his work.
To be cheeky, what you mean is that some people heard the Gothic, thought "what a terrible piece" and then moved on to other composers!  :) Had the Gothic never existed and either No.8 or 10 had been the first Brian pieces on the radar maybe attitudes would be different.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 19, 2017, 02:37:32 AM
To be cheeky, what you mean is that some people heard the Gothic, thought "what a terrible piece" and then moved on to other composers!  :)

Can't imagine anyone reacting that way.

;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maestro267

The Gothic was what needed to come out of Brian at the time he wrote it. And it needed to have those enormous forces. Everything any composer ever writes is what is needed at the time. It's ignorant and snobbish critics who have forced these misconceptions. But finally people are getting a chance to destroy those misconceptions and make a judgment of the music for themselves. That's all we ask for is a chance. Many of us, having taken this chance, have gained an admiration for Brian's music, and that's a wonderful thing.

J.Z. Herrenberg

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2017, 02:39:29 AM
Can't imagine anyone reacting that way.

;)
You've not met my wife though have you........

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 19, 2017, 05:19:42 AM
You've not met my wife though have you........

My spouse likes Brian. My former spouse, I should say... !

vandermolen

'Must we listen to this noise?'

'Sounds like World War Three going on in there'.

My wife's habitual response to the music I play (not just HB).

She does, however, like Klaus Egge's String Quartet (Naxos).

8)

PS She was more polite, however, when we were first going out. I recall playing her John Foulds's 'Dynamic Triptych' and her saying: 'Well, it certainly is very dynamic!'

Christo

Quote from: springrite on September 18, 2017, 06:02:01 PMBeing a Brianite and a Brabbinite, I'd vote for Brabbins.
... because of Brabbins' bite or is it tight?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

Thanks for the extensive and helpful feedback everyone :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2017, 05:33:01 AM

8)

PS She was more polite, however, when we were first going out. I recall playing her John Foulds's 'Dynamic Triptych' and her saying: 'Well, it certainly is very dynamic!'

My mother always asked, when I listened to Wagner's Ring: 'Are they sawing that woman in half?'

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: kyjo on September 19, 2017, 06:08:26 AM
Thanks for the extensive and helpful feedback everyone :)

You're welcome. I hope you'll come to understand the logic of 'The Gothic'...

Klaatu

I've always believed that a first-rate, committed performance of No 10 at the Proms should be a major goal.

In an ideal world, Proms performances of 6, 8, 10, 16 and 30 would present the composer in the best possible light, and would begin to erode the 'gigantic, unperformable behemoth' reputation which clings to his symphonies.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Klaatu on September 19, 2017, 09:58:04 AM
I've always believed that a first-rate, committed performance of No 10 at the Proms should be a major goal.

In an ideal world, Proms performances of 6, 8, 10, 16 and 30 would present the composer in the best possible light, and would begin to erode the 'gigantic, unperformable behemoth' reputation which clings to his symphonies.

It would be wonderful if the Controller would program one of those works... It's out of our hands, though, and the HBS's.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2017, 05:33:01 AM

8)

Over here it's a question of decibels. I can get away with low sound levels, but not so with the harpsichord. Even when just faintly tickling in the background, she always goes "you know I HATE harpsichord !!" . Any organ sound will provoke the comment "Are we at Mass here ?"

Ah la la...  ???

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2017, 06:12:16 AM
My mother always asked, when I listened to Wagner's Ring: 'Are they sawing that woman in half?'
Very funny!
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Klaatu on September 19, 2017, 09:58:04 AM

I agree. Maybe, if nothing else, they could squeeze in No.22 which says a lot in a short time.