Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

I couldn't possibly comment...

I liked the CD. 'Cleopatra' is a quite unique piece for Brian. It is him, but he sounds very different.

Happy New Year!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on December 29, 2018, 06:02:42 AM
I couldn't possibly comment...

I liked the CD. 'Cleopatra' is a quite unique piece for Brian. It is him, but he sounds very different.

Happy New Year!

I agree with what you say from the extract I heard.

And to you too Johan!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I suppose it's time to wake a sleeping dragon...

Mind you, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm not a fan of Brian's music, but it is fascinating to see the Brian fan club come back to life once there's the smell of a new recording around the corner. Almost like how a drop of blood in a piranha infested river triggers the demise of a wounded agouti. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2019, 01:55:18 PM

As my daughter would write - OMG!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 25, 2019, 01:57:01 PM

As my daughter would write - OMG!

:D

This announcement came courtesy of Brian in the 'New Releases' thread.

Sergeant Rock

Mind you, I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm not a fan of Brian's music, but it is fascinating to see the Brian fan club come back to life once there's the smell of a new recording around the corner. Almost like how a drop of blood in a piranha infested river triggers the demise of a wounded agouti. :)

New Brian blood...cue the Jaws' theme  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

https://youtu.be/QOkSvLqkafU

calyptorhynchus

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

springrite

I will make it a mission to eventually turn you into one of them piranhas  >:D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on March 25, 2019, 05:48:30 PM
I will make it a mission to eventually turn you into one of them piranhas  >:D

Haha! Good luck with that. I've tried, goodness, have I tried to get into Brian, but I just can't.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 25, 2019, 05:49:47 PM
Haha! Good luck with that. I've tried, goodness, have I tried to get into Brian, but I just can't.
It took me a couple of decades and now I love it!

All indications are: senility, dementia and early onset alzheimer's are all helpful!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on March 25, 2019, 05:54:42 PM
It took me a couple of decades and now I love it!

All indications are: senility, dementia and early onset alzheimer's are all helpful!

:P

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: springrite on March 25, 2019, 05:54:42 PM

True, how else can you stand it.

Anyway around 20 yrs ago Marco Polo boldly declared the plan for a Brian Cycle:

I wonder how many more installments they need to complete.

Papy Oli

not sure i have seen this mentioned earlier, so just in case, JPC has regrouped some of the Naxos releases in a boxset :

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/havergal-brian-symphonien-nr-1-the-gothic-1-2-4-6-8-12-11-15-17-18-20-26-28-29-31-32/hnum/7899127

Olivier

Maestro267

This new release puts me in a dilemma. Do I go for this new Naxos recording of No. 16 and have a second recording of No. 7 and The Tinker's Wedding, or do I still go for the Lyrita, have a second recording of No. 6, but also a symphony by Arnold Cooke?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 26, 2019, 07:13:39 AM
not sure i have seen this mentioned earlier, so just in case, JPC has regrouped some of the Naxos releases in a boxset :

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/havergal-brian-symphonien-nr-1-the-gothic-1-2-4-6-8-12-11-15-17-18-20-26-28-29-31-32/hnum/7899127

Nice! I never would have thought it possible in the early 1980s, Brian-starved as I was.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 26, 2019, 08:19:59 AM
This new release puts me in a dilemma. Do I go for this new Naxos recording of No. 16 and have a second recording of No. 7 and The Tinker's Wedding, or do I still go for the Lyrita, have a second recording of No. 6, but also a symphony by Arnold Cooke?

Go for the Lyrita. No. 6 is better there, too.

Christo

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 26, 2019, 08:26:37 AM

Go for the Lyrita. No. 6 is better there, too.
And Arnold Cooke's Third is more than just a bonus, but worth every penny too.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 26, 2019, 08:19:59 AM
Why not both?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton