Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Listen to 22 first, Volny. Symphonies 22-24 form a trilogy, and that middle panel, so to speak, makes more sense if you have heard 22 first...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2020, 02:30:49 AMExcellent notes from a familiar Dutch contributor to this thread  ;D

Just reread them... 2012... A long time ago. Thanks for the compliment, Jeffrey!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2020, 02:30:49 AM
Just playing this. I've always loved No.8 but had not realised how good No.14 is. It is oddly Sibelian in places. Excellent notes from a familiar Dutch contributor to this thread  ;D

What is the label? I can't make it out.

J.Z. Herrenberg

krummholz

Quote from: Volny on August 03, 2020, 02:43:41 AM
Anyway, thanks very much for your kind suggestions. Trying to take all suggestions on board, and be open to multiple parts of Brian's spectrum, I guess I'll shortlist 3, 8, 23, 32 to be the ones to try and sink my teeth into.

Be aware, though, that 22 through 24 form a sort of trilogy, so it makes sense to listen to all of them and not just #23. I think this is the only recording of all of them together that's currently available:

Edit: I see that Johan beat me to it! Thanks, Johan.

vandermolen

Quote from: krummholz on August 03, 2020, 05:15:21 AM
Be aware, though, that 22 through 24 form a sort of trilogy, so it makes sense to listen to all of them and not just #23. I think this is the only recording of all of them together that's currently available:

Edit: I see that Johan beat me to it! Thanks, Johan.
No.22 is one of my favourites along with 1 (of course!),3,6,7,8,9,10 (one of the best),11,16 and 17.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2020, 06:15:12 AM
No.22 is one of my favourites along with 1 (of course!),3,6,7,8,9,10 (one of the best),11,16 and 17.
Am I correct in happily deducing that your canon of Brian favourites has been quietly widened, Jeffrey?

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on August 03, 2020, 06:32:41 AM
Am I correct in happily deducing that your canon of Brian favourites has been quietly widened, Jeffrey?
I think so Johan, although there was always a 'hard-core' of Brian symphonies that I liked, ever since attending that Ole Schmidt performance of Symphony No.1 which may have been the first time I heard any Brian. Actually I probably had the Groves LP of 8 and 9 before then. Coincidentally listening to this terrific (premiere) performance. Great notes too  ;D:
I prefer it to the Hyperion recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

I think my core favourites are 1, 2, 6, 9 & 10.

vers la flamme

Are there any Brian fans out there who do not like the Gothic?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 04, 2020, 02:31:32 AM
I seem to remember one or two who find Part 2 a bit hard to swallow. But they are in the minority (of a minority!) Most Brian fans love the work.

Biffo

Me but I am probably not a fan. I have a few of the symphonies and a handful of other works though I don't listen to them very often. I have never managed to get to the end of the Gothic symphony; it gets off to a good start but the unrelenting turgid choral sound wears me down.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 04, 2020, 02:14:51 AM
I think my core favourites are 1, 2, 6, 9 & 10.
I like all those ones too. I do struggle a bit with the choral second half of the Gothic (although it has a wonderful coda). I went through a period of only listening to movements 1-3 but now (if I have time!) I tend to listen to it right through. I was shocked yesterday to find the Brabbins CD still in its cellophane wrapper even though I bought it when it first came out  :o. However, like some others here I was at the concert and remember what a great experience that was.

krummholz

I certainly like it a great deal, even though I generally prefer the later symphonies to the earlier. Among the earlier ones, the 3rd slightly edges out the Gothic in my ranking of personal favourites.

Among the later symphonies, the only ones that really leave me cold and perplexed are #13 and #26. I love especially #8, #11, #16, #18, #21, the trilogy #22-#24, #27, #29, and #30.

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on August 04, 2020, 03:08:08 AM
I seem to remember one or two who find Part 2 a bit hard to swallow. But they are in the minority (of a minority!) Most Brian fans love the work.

Yes, and some of us are hardcore obsessive about the work!  I have never heard the violin or cello concerto.  Any good?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on August 04, 2020, 06:17:29 AM
Yes, and some of us are hardcore obsessive about the work!  I have never heard the violin or cello concerto.  Any good?
Both are wonderful. Recommended!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: krummholz on August 04, 2020, 05:40:21 AM
I certainly like it a great deal, even though I generally prefer the later symphonies to the earlier. Among the earlier ones, the 3rd slightly edges out the Gothic in my ranking of personal favourites.

Among the later symphonies, the only ones that really leave me cold and perplexed are #13 and #26. I love especially #8, #11, #16, #18, #21, the trilogy #22-#24, #27, #29, and #30.
Because it seems people are revealing their core Brian canons... After more than forty years of living with Brian's music, I cannot do without any of it... But symphonies 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 22, 27, 28, 30, 31 certainly get much love from me. The Third English Suite, the Tigers, and the Turandot Suite also get many hearings. And the two concertos... Hm, choosing is hopeless!

krummholz

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on August 04, 2020, 06:27:41 AM
Because it seems people are revealing their core Brian canons... After more than forty years of living with Brian's music, I cannot do without any of it... But symphonies 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 22, 27, 28, 30, 31 certainly get much love from me. The Third English Suite, the Tigers, and the Turandot Suite also get many hearings. And the two concertos... Hm, choosing is hopeless!

Which two concertos? Were there not three? Although the Concerto for Orchestra is really a Symphony in all but name, and another one in my "core canon".

I have also not heard the Cello Concerto and wasn't aware until now that an extant recording existed... shall be ordered soon.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: krummholz on August 04, 2020, 07:03:27 AM
Which two concertos? Were there not three? Although the Concerto for Orchestra is really a Symphony in all but name, and another one in my "core canon".

I have also not heard the Cello Concerto and wasn't aware until now that an extant recording existed... shall be ordered soon.

You're right! I forgot about the Concerto for Orchestra... That makes three.

krummholz

I listened to the Concerto for Orchestra again the other night... I still think it's very good, but maybe on second blush, not quite in my core canon. More likely in my second tier, along with works like #2, #25, or #28.

But here's a question I've been mulling over: are there any composers who show the influence of Brian? As far as I know he didn't teach (?), but surely someone must have found some aspects of his style sympatico enough to have absorbed them. Perhaps a fellow Brit?

I have to say that in my own humble efforts, as much as I love Brian, I don't think he has influenced me at all. I do tend to think contrapuntally, polyphonically, but I believe that comes from elsewhere (including the fellow in my avatar ;)) Also, I've yet to write anything for full orchestra.