Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

So how many of us will be there, then? Is this going to be the largest ever group of GMGers in one place?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Seven in all, if I'm not mistaken: Albion, Brian, DaveF, Dundonnell, J. Z. Herrenberg, Luke, vandermolen...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 15, 2011, 03:46:46 AM
Seven in all, if I'm not mistaken: Albion, Brian, DaveF, Dundonnell, J. Z. Herrenberg, Luke, vandermolen...

I'm trying really hard not to be depressed. I really wanted to be there with you guys. But as I feared I'm still not feeling fit enough to travel. I'll be with you in spirit anyway.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 15, 2011, 03:52:39 AM
I'm trying really hard not to be depressed. I really wanted to be there with you guys. But as I feared I'm still not feeling fit enough to travel. I'll be with you in spirit anyway.

I am also very sorry you won't be there, Sarge.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Wanderer

Hope you have a great time, guys! As for me, I'll be at the ready to pre-order the recording.  :)

Hattoff

It's a once in a lifetime. I am reminded of Henry V. They shall feel accursed, those who were not here on St Crispin's day. Or something similarish.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Hattoff on July 15, 2011, 09:30:26 AM
It's a once in a lifetime. I am reminded of Henry V. They shall feel accursed, those who were not here on St Crispin's day. Or something similarish.

And gentlemen in Germany now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That heard with us the Gothic Symphony.
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Whitmore

I have a cunning plan. I assume that I can access the Gothic performance live online on radio 3? If so I can record it using Audacity, save it as a huge wav file and then split it into tracks later and burn to CDs and share it via Mediafire. Assuming the internet doesn't crash I will have a good recording. This should work, shouldn't it? If a few people do this we should get something worth keeping between us.

Brian

Quote from: Johnwh51 on July 16, 2011, 01:25:27 AM
I have a cunning plan. I assume that I can access the Gothic performance live online on radio 3? If so I can record it using Audacity, save it as a huge wav file and then split it into tracks later and burn to CDs and share it via Mediafire. Assuming the internet doesn't crash I will have a good recording. This should work, shouldn't it? If a few people do this we should get something worth keeping between us.

It absolutely should work. All the Proms are on radio 3, and I presume you can listen to the radio online...?
You might want to try it first, because I know my computer's copy of Audacity refuses to record stuff like that for some reason. Apparently some new computers disable the feature because they're afraid of people stealing songs and videos, like from YouTube.  :(

John Whitmore

Quote from: Brian on July 16, 2011, 03:02:21 AM
It absolutely should work. All the Proms are on radio 3, and I presume you can listen to the radio online...?
You might want to try it first, because I know my computer's copy of Audacity refuses to record stuff like that for some reason. Apparently some new computers disable the feature because they're afraid of people stealing songs and videos, like from YouTube.  :(

I tried it with this morning's Radio 3 record review online and it worked fine. I will also try some of tonight's prom to see if I'm allowed access.

cilgwyn

I will be inserting my c90 cassette(s) into my cassette deck and pressing record!!!!
Unfortunately the big fm stereo radio aerial I ordered & intend to place in the attic didn't arrive until the beginning of the week. The entrance to the attic is a great size if you're a dwarf or midget. I find that if I wriggle through,an arm at a time,I can get through to the loft space which is thankfully allot bigger. Fortunately,with the help of a booster the reception appears pretty good,at least at the moment.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Good luck, cilgwyn! I am gearing up for the Big One. Tomorrow around this time I'll be making my way to my seat (God willing!) Unbelievable...

Brian

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 16, 2011, 09:28:53 AM
Good luck, cilgwyn! I am gearing up for the Big One. Tomorrow around this time I'll be making my way to my seat (God willing!) Unbelievable...

Tomorrow by this point (again inshallah) I (and perhaps Luke) shall be claiming our spots on the arena floor...! That reminds me, I need to PM him.

cilgwyn

I hope you have as wonderful time as I will using a cassette deck to record the concert in 2011!!!! I am pretty sure you will have allot of stories to tell us about you're experience and you're response to this mighty work will certainly be changed forever.
(That edit's better!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, cilgwyn. I and others will be reporting back when the shock has subsided... I am certain Brian's reputation will be enhanced by this performance.

cilgwyn

I'm sure it will. There may be one or two curmugeon's however. Hopefully,they will be outnumbered. I remember when the Marco Polo of the Gothic came out,most of the reviews were enthusiastic. But there was one horrible review from Edward Seckerson or Edward Greenfield (I always mix them up) which referred to that amusing character actor, Vincent Price.

Brian

Luke, your PM box is full!
So here's the message I wanted to send  ;D :

Hello Luke,
Prommed last night at 'Glagolitic' and it went very smoothly. From South Kensington tube up to the main (south) entrance of Royal Albert Hall, join the queue on the right, which is the season pass queue. When I went yesterday, the line began to move and people began to enter about 40 minutes before the beginning of the concert. I arrived right at this time and got a fairly decent standing spot just forward of the middle of the arena. However, this time I might come - the concert starts at 7pm I believe - at 6pm armed with a sandwich and a Chandler novel.

The floor is not exactly luxurious so I'd advise comfortable shoes over formal ones. We won't have an interval so no worry about people sneaking forward when half the crowd pops out to the loo...

That's all I can think of now, but write back if there's anything else. Water isn't to be taken inside, so simply hide it in your jacket.  :D

I aspire to be there at 6 and to look like this - very excited to hear this symphony at last!

Cheers
~ Brian

J.Z. Herrenberg

It's a sell-out and people are curious... But it's certain you'll get in with that pass? Otherwise you probably should come earlier.

John Whitmore

I just tried Audacity to record tonight's Prom. Got the settings sorted out. Worked perfectly. Assuming the internet connection behaves I will capture tomorrow's event. I admire the tenacity of Brianites so enjoy this stupendous 2 hours of glory. It doesn't get bigger than the Proms. A superb platform to hear the man's work. Brian would be a lttle bit pleased but nothing more than that - he was a very laid back person who wrote music because he wanted to. What a great attitude. Shame that Bob Simpson isn't here to witnes the event.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Johnwh51 on July 16, 2011, 10:09:24 AM
I just tried Audacity to record tonight's Prom. Got the settings sorted out. Worked perfectly. Assuming the internet connection behaves I will capture tomorrow's event. I admire the tenacity of Brianites so enjoy this stupendous 2 hours of glory. It doesn't get bigger than the Proms. A superb platform to hear the man's work. Brian would be a lttle bit pleased but nothing more than that - he was a very laid back person who wrote music because he wanted to. What a great attitude. Shame that Bob Simpson isn't here to witnes the event.

Shame indeed... But he had his moment of triumph when he made the Boult Gothic happen, in 1966. And the Ole Schmidt performance of 1980 is also unthinkable without Robert Simpson.

The persons we must be rooting for are, in the first place, Martyn Brabbins, and then that whole mass of humanity he has to shepherd safely through this monstrous work!