Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 29, 2011, 12:20:50 AM
Steve, just send me the lot and I will make the transfers. Delighted that the HB suite is in proper stereo. Probably a week's work but I'm up for it. I wonder how much interest this will generate on here?

Steve, just read your email:
There is also the LP of Holst's "A vision of Dame Christian" that I mentioned on the messageboard which is very rare, only 200 copies were made and were, supposedly only available to the relatives of the pupils of St Paul's Girl's School!
Please send this as well. Never heard of it but sounds as if it's worth saving to CD.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 29, 2011, 12:15:23 AM
If the HBS doesn't have them please feel free to send them the links. Glad you liked them. Any luck on the R&R 10/21 JSTOR review yet or am I doomed to the attic?

You're doomed...  :o  I have looked and not just on JSTOR. The problem is, I think - R&R isn't an academic journal.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

hbswebmaster

Greetings, all.

Been following this thread for a while; great reading!

Would anyone object to me extracting some of the pithier contributions in this fascinating thread for the HBS newsletter?

There are some ex-HBS members here? And at least one active momber (morning, Johan!) - what about rejoining?  ;)

Martyn

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 29, 2011, 12:29:31 AM

You're doomed...  :o  I have looked and not just on JSTOR. The problem is, I think - R&R isn't an academic journal.

Slice of toast followed by the attic it is then.

cilgwyn

I just hope you've got a normal sized trapdoor (for you're attic). Mine was obviously designed for a midget. I can just about wriggle through,an arm at a time. What was the builder thinking off?
Or maybe you've got a nice posh staircase?

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 29, 2011, 01:32:34 AM
I just hope you've got a normal sized trapdoor (for you're attic). Mine was obviously designed for a midget. I can just about wriggle through,an arm at a time. What was the builder thinking off?
Or maybe you've got a nice posh staircase?

I am very posh indeed but the ladder is a damaged and dangerous aluminium effort. I risk my life for the HB cause.

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on August 29, 2011, 01:02:35 AM
Greetings, all.

Would anyone object to me extracting some of the pithier contributions in this fascinating thread for the HBS newsletter?

There are some ex-HBS members here? And at least one active momber (morning, Johan!) - what about rejoining?  ;)

Martyn

Martyn,
If any of my ramblings are any use to you please go ahead.

Luke

Greetings, all.

Martyn

I'm an ex-member, and would very much like to rejoin; simply haven't got around to it yet, but I will.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Greetings, all.

Martyn

Hi, Martyn! I am glad the HBS has found its way to this place (I know John Grimshaw is reading along, too), as it is becoming the realtime HB spot in cyberspace... I must admit I am writing so much about Brian here that it is almost too much trouble to do the same thing for the Newsletter. As far as I am concerned, start digging for the gold...  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

hbswebmaster

Thanks, all - and thanks for the cuttings, John. They will go into the members' online archive.

I will indeed start mining, Johan - there is a lot of fascinating discussion in here that I'm sure that the membeship would like to see.

;)

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on August 29, 2011, 06:28:39 AM
Thanks, all - and thanks for the cuttings, John. They will go into the members' online archive.

I will indeed start mining, Johan - there is a lot of fascinating discussion in here that I'm sure that the membeship would like to see.

;)

Here's the link to the press cuttings. There are now 11 in total - I found another 3 this morning after a successful mining expedition in the attic. I emailed this to Johan but forgot to post it on the forum.
http://www.mediafire.com/?5dhod35t7b4yb

Hattoff

Hi Martyn,
I am an ex member :( Can I suggest that you make the society directly joinable online? I would rejoin straight away and I'm certain you would get many more people joining that way.
Just a thought :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Morning, Steve! But you CAN join online. Go to www.havergalbrian.org. You can order things there, make a donation and join the Society, using PayPal. If that is what you mean by 'joining online', of course...

Hattoff

Hi Johan,
But joining is not straightforward >:(
It is implied that, first, one has to write a letter containing a cheque. Perhaps the HBS messageboard could make the method of joining online a little clearer?
Why not have an online membership application form? ......Perhaps to keep the riff-raff, like me, away? :D

Steve

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hattoff on August 29, 2011, 11:40:47 PM
Hi Johan,
But joining is not straightforward >:(
It is implied that, first, one has to write a letter containing a cheque. Perhaps the HBS messageboard could make the method of joining online a little clearer?
Why not have an online membership application form? ......Perhaps to keep the riff-raff, like me, away? :D

Steve

But if you click on Donate, you get to a new screen, where you can either use PayPal or one of several credit cards. IF I'm not mistaken... But I agree - it could perhaps be made easier. But that's not for me to decide!

Edit: I now see that the button is for renewing your subscription, not joining... Hm.

Hattoff

Thanks Johan,
Can I point out though that, that is not at all obvious from the HBS site itself? Perhaps Im a bit dense? but surely dense people shouldn't be excluded from the wonder that is William Havergal Brian :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on August 29, 2011, 11:58:19 PM
Thanks Johan,
Can I point out though that, that is not at all obvious from the HBS site itself? Perhaps Im a bit dense? but surely dense people shouldn't be excluded from the wonder that is William Havergal Brian :)
Steve, never mind getting involved in this mindless banter. Get those LPs packed up nicely and stick 'em in the post there's a good chap.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hattoff on August 29, 2011, 11:58:19 PM
Thanks Johan,

See my Edit, Steve! Let's wait for Martyn to clarify matters: whether the button can be used for new members joining, too, or just old members renewing their subscription...

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 30, 2011, 12:01:21 AM

Steve, never mind getting involved in this mindless banter. Get those LPs packed up nicely and stick 'em in the post there's a good chap.

:D

John Whitmore

Sharing an email that I sent to Johan a few mins ago. Any interest?

Mornin' Johan,
Just read your Youtube comment. I've also just finished re-editing The
Unknown Warrior. I've taken half a second out of the wobbly final chord at
the very end where HB is sitting in his chair. This always ruined the
moment! Nothing I can do about the slightly mangled tape during the storm
sequence but it's still better than the Youtube clips I uploaded. I will
send this and the 1998 LSSO Brian 10th reunion DVD to you but I need your
address please. If I post it to "HB fanatic, Delft" it might just get there
but it's not ideal. You've shared so much stuff with me over the years so
this is a fair exchange. I will post this on the forum. To offset my annual
LSSO website costs I would happily sell a few copies of these 2 DVDs to
other members at sensible prices. I will await a response.
John

Hattoff

Ooh er.
I shall go to the Post Office now :P