Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I'm sure it could be interpreted more persuasively. The performances,so far,are not by major conductors are they?

John Whitmore

Here's the last Hattoff LP. A Holst Centenary from 1974. It includes Music for the Masque, Alcestis of Euripides and a talk by Imogen Holst. I understand that this was a limited edition recording produced for St. Paul's School. Steve thinks there were around 200 made but I can't confirm this one way or the other. Here is the link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?15lb1hy34e49o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 02, 2011, 11:55:54 PM
Here's the last Hattoff LP. A Holst Centenary  from 1984. It includes Music for the Masque, Alcestis of Euripides  and a talk by Imogen Holst. I understand that this was a limited edition recording produced for St. Paul's School. Steve thinks there were around 200 made but I can't confirm this one way or the other. Here is the link:

Good work, John! You should post this in the Holst thread, too. It must be somewhere. When you look at the Composers board, you can see a link to a list Lethe made of all composers discussed on GMG, ordered by nationality.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 03, 2011, 12:02:18 AM

Good work, John! You should post this in the Holst thread, too. It must be somewhere. When you look at the Composers board, you can see a link to a list Lethe made of all composers discussed on GMG, ordered by nationality.
Morning Johan. I will go to the Holst forum but having taken a quick look there are pages and pages of composer threads. I might just pop over to the Khachaturian forum and then maybe Bruckner just to spice 'em up a bit. Would they welcome and enjoy my thoughts, insights and comments?

J.Z. Herrenberg

If you don't want to be tarred and feathered, I suggest you steer clear of those...  ;D

Here is the Holst thread, by the way:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,431.0.html
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 03, 2011, 12:23:32 AM
If you don't want to be tarred and feathered, I suggest you steer clear of those...  ;D

Here is the Holst thread, by the way:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,431.0.html
I just posted this on the Holst forum:
I come in peace from the Havergal Brian forum. Here's something that may interest you:
Here's the last Hattoff LP. A Holst Centenary from 1974. It includes Music for the Masque, Alcestis of Euripides and a talk by Imogen Holst. I understand that this was a limited edition recording produced for St. Paul's School. Steve thinks there were around 200 made but I can't confirm this one way or the other. Here is the link:

That's nice and polite. I wasn't rude about the Planets or anything.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 03, 2011, 12:47:53 AM
I just posted this on the Holst forum:
I come in peace from the Havergal Brian forum. Here's something that may interest you:

That's nice and polite. I wasn't rude about the Planets or anything.

I knew you could do it.

And now I have work to do! I love to hear Imogen Holst's talk, by the way. But - later!

cilgwyn

That's very,VERY kind of you!
By the way,has anyone got the R3 broadcast of the complete 'Perfect Fool'? (The opera not the ballet!) Someone's got an off air tape somewhere,haven't they! I keep badgering Chandos to do it. Recently,they seemed to have shown some interest. In fact,I think it's just a question of cost, ie 'Give us the cash and we'll do it'!
'The Tigers' is another dream. But could they ever make a recording that would be as good as the R3 production? It was perfect.
Still,I have the download so what am I moaning about?

cilgwyn

It would be nice to hear a professional recording of Holst's 'Sita' one fine day.
Interesting how Holst,like Brian,is a composer whose output is overshadowed by one large (but not quite as large!!!) work.
(Okay,that's enough Holst,ed.)

By the way,does anyone know if there's a Laszlo Lajtha thread? I can't find one. I quite like some of his music & find symphonies 7-9 quite impressive.

J.Z. Herrenberg

You did it!!! Many thanks!

cilgwyn

Incidentally,I just noticed something really mind blowing. The HB thread wasn't started by you!!!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 09:40:45 AM
Incidentally,I just noticed something really mind blowing. The HB thread wasn't started by you!!!!!

No, by my compatriot Harry, in June 2007. I joined this board a month later... Otherwise I certainly would have taken the initiative. I was glad to find other 'rabid' Brianites like Sarge and Luke (as you can read in this thread - 4 years ago!)

I certainly feel myself the landlord of this pub, The Happy Havergal...

cilgwyn

And,as Basil Fawlty might say, I'm "another (very) satisfied customer!"
Iechyd da!

Hattoff

Many thanks to John again for bringing the Opera Viva and Holst to life. I rarely listened to the Holst as my re-recording was so bad, it really is a beautiful work.

Thanks to Cligwyn too, an unexpected bonus. I've heard Jones and Hoddinott on BBC radio 3 and I have a couple of pieces by Grace Williams, I'm looking forward to knowing them better.

Johan, I re-joined the HB society again so perhaps it is not so difficult (when you know how :-[) cheers.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 10:01:43 AM
And,as Basil Fawlty might say, I'm "another (very) satisfied customer!"
Iechyd da!

;D

Quote from: Hattoff on September 03, 2011, 10:05:54 AMJohan, I re-joined the HB society again so perhaps it is not so difficult (when you know how :-[ ) cheers.

Excellent! Welcome back!

cilgwyn

Fawlty Towers was an unfortunate comparison. I must have been thinking of the old,defunct,Radio 3 Message Board!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 10:18:06 AM
Fawlty Towers was an unfortunate comparison. I must have been thinking of the old,defunct,Radio 3 Message Board!

I know it. But where I have been very active (from 2006 to 2008) was, wait for it, The Archers Message Board... But this is all very off-topic!

cilgwyn

The Archers. Okay,Mums The Word!!!!
As to the R3 Forum. I got the feeling I should have changed my nickname to 'Manuel'!
Anyway.........

cilgwyn

NB: If you want to hear more Daniel Jones please contact me. I think Dundonnell has offered. (No 4 is a personal favourite,especially that second movement).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 10:34:31 AM
NB: If you want to hear more Daniel Jones please contact me. I think Dundonnell has offered. (No 4 is a personal favourite,especially that second movement).

Listening to No. 2 - I love it... And it is akin to late Brian. Will go the Daniel Jones thread.