Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just checked - you are right about the CD mastering! Your vinyl rip sounds much better...  :o
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 27, 2011, 03:00:50 AM
Just checked - you are right about the CD mastering! Your vinyl rip sounds much better...  :o

Either we are both deaf or there's something nice about vinyl. The Hunting of the Snark was wriitten by Douglas Young who was composer in residence for the LSSO in the early1980s. He wrote a number of full orchestral works as well and these were issued on vinyl. Very interesting stuff.

kishnevi

slightly OT--but this one is listed in Arkivmusic's new releases section.

Arkiv's blurb:
Maurice Saylor's setting of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark is written for a chorus and 'Snarkestra', Saylor's word for his quirky, misfit pit-band. This includes all manner of percussion and woodwinds, as well as such exotica as harmonica, bass accordion and washtub, instruments "reviled by society at large", in Saylor's words. To the nonsense text he brings a riot of colour and wit as well as a series of traditional devices such as refrains, sea chanties, and a chorale. The result is music of vibrancy, excitement, and even dangerous volatility. The three silent film scores are pacey, dapper and splendidly jazzy.

I'm not hurrying to get this, you understand....

Hattoff

@John, again, an excellent rip of the two symphonies. Your copy of the LP is in better nick than mine  which I wore out years ago!
It does sound better than the CD :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on September 27, 2011, 08:36:59 PM
@John, again, an excellent rip of the two symphonies. Your copy of the LP is in better nick than mine  which I wore out years ago!
It does sound better than the CD :)

Only been played twice!!

Hattoff

Quote from: John Whitmore on September 27, 2011, 10:51:54 PM
Only been played twice!!

How can you admit such a thing on this board? :o

Ohhh, the iniquity :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on September 27, 2011, 11:32:29 PM
How can you admit such a thing on this board? :o

Ohhh, the iniquity :)

I played it when it came out and then put it away for the best part of 40 years until I ripped it earlier this week. To be fair I did buy the CD and that has been played many times. Perhaps as much as 4 times or maybe even 5. Am I forgiven? By the way, I'm not happy with the rip and intend to have another go. Too many bumps remain in the quiet sections. When better MP3s are ready I will post them again.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 27, 2011, 08:08:45 PM
slightly OT--but this one is listed in Arkivmusic's new releases section.

Arkiv's blurb:
Maurice Saylor's setting of Lewis Carroll's The Hunting of the Snark is written for a chorus and 'Snarkestra', Saylor's word for his quirky, misfit pit-band. This includes all manner of percussion and woodwinds, as well as such exotica as harmonica, bass accordion and washtub, instruments "reviled by society at large", in Saylor's words. To the nonsense text he brings a riot of colour and wit as well as a series of traditional devices such as refrains, sea chanties, and a chorale. The result is music of vibrancy, excitement, and even dangerous volatility. The three silent film scores are pacey, dapper and splendidly jazzy.

I'm not hurrying to get this, you understand....

How strange. I was only exchanging emails with Johan recently about a version of The Hunting of the Snark composed by Douglas Young and recorded for Cameo by the LSSO in the early 1980s.

John Whitmore

I've redone the Unicorn 10/21 vinyl rip. Not perfect but the bumps and clunks have been successfully removed from the off stage trumpet and horn passages and the last section of 10 is now much cleaner. That's it chaps. Not doing it again. At least it sounds like an orchestra now. I'm very taken with the attack and fire in the playing - it's all pretty fearless despite the technical difficulties of the writing. The intonation issues are less obvious now that the De Montfort Hall warm glow has been restored. I'm actually very proud of this playing overall. For 14 to 18 year olds it's highly competitive stuff. Still gutted that HB never heard the thing.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0ir5yy8b5k82d

J.Z. Herrenberg

Many thanks, John, for 'going that extra mile'. The LSSO Tenth has not been superseded, only equalled by Martyn Brabbins. I still prefer it, I think...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 28, 2011, 08:15:28 AM
Many thanks, John, for 'going that extra mile'. The LSSO Tenth has not been superseded, only equalled by Martyn Brabbins. I still prefer it, I think...
Leicester 1 Brabbins 1.

Luke

That looks about par for the course this season, though...

cilgwyn

Beware the Jabberwocky,my friends!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Brian

Quote from: Philip Legge on September 30, 2011, 03:33:43 PM
As predicted, designed for every Brianite's Christmas stocking...

Huzzah!

Though I have to say: the art department failed on that one. Might be my least favorite Hyperion CD cover of all time. In fact, it definitely is: would it have killed them to list more than one performer on the cover, or to coordinate the colors, or to choose a different font for "Gothic"?

Interesting that they're including 9 minutes of applause. A valuable historical testament, maybe, but will anyone really listen to that track?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well-spotted, Philip! Yes, that cover is a bit basic... Perhaps it can still be changed?

Lethevich

I really hope that's a placeholder. If any piece allows you to go self-indulgent on the art direction then it's this one. Glad they avoided the 7 billion index points that the Naxos disc has, it makes navigation a chore "how far am I through this track? Let's get the calculator out".
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on September 30, 2011, 03:46:52 PM
Huzzah!

Though I have to say: the art department failed on that one. Might be my least favorite Hyperion CD cover of all time. In fact, it definitely is: would it have killed them to list more than one performer on the cover, or to coordinate the colors, or to choose a different font for "Gothic"?
well, maybe they thought using a Gothic font was too obvious....

????
GMG has no option for a Gothic type font?  Where's the benevolent dictator Rob when you need him?