Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on October 31, 2011, 02:07:58 PM
Colin's surname is Dundonnell? I'll update the video info.

Mackie.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 31, 2011, 02:08:35 PM

Mackie.
Video info changed on all three clips to include:
Transferred from a reel to reel tape recording made by Colin Mackie and then left in his attic for over 30 years.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on October 31, 2011, 02:17:18 PM
Video info changed on all three clips to include:
Transferred from a reel to reel tape recording made by Colin Mackie and then left in his attic for over 30 years.

It sounds funny, but it's the unvarnished truth.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Albion on October 31, 2011, 01:58:10 PM
Of course (given the origin) these are uploaded with Dundonnell's prior approval.

;D

NO. THEY WERE NOT!!!

Dundonnell

I am not sure that I have fully recovered from the shock of finding that the Violin Concerto has been posted on YouTube.

The idea of sharing my collection of music on my reel-to-reel tapes was intended to allow music-lovers with similar tastes to my own to have access to music which had not been recorded commercially or was
no longer available.

The mp3 files I am making from the old reel-to-reel tapes are going up on the Unsung Composers website because it has a Downloads section and I have myself benefited enormously over the past few weeks
by being able to download a massive amount of music I had been hoping to hear for years(indeed decades).

I shared the HB files on here because I knew-or at least suspected-that there were HB fans who were not members of Unsung Composers. If I put everything I intend to upload on Unsung Composers up
elsewhere there will be very little point in people joining that website.

I was delighted that John took the time and put in the effort to improve the quality of the Brian files.

The idea of then putting the music on You Tube is one that I would have been interested to reflect on and on which I would have sought advice.

Unfortunately, I was not given the opportunity to do so.

That I regret!

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 31, 2011, 02:54:22 PM
I am not sure that I have fully recovered from the shock of finding that the Violin Concerto has been posted on YouTube.

The idea of sharing my collection of music on my reel-to-reel tapes was intended to allow music-lovers with similar tastes to my own to have access to music which had not been recorded commercially or was
no longer available.

The mp3 files I am making from the old reel-to-reel tapes are going up on the Unsung Composers website because it has a Downloads section and I have myself benefited enormously over the past few weeks
by being able to download a massive amount of music I had been hoping to hear for years(indeed decades).

I shared the HB files on here because I knew-or at least suspected-that there were HB fans who were not members of Unsung Composers. If I put everything I intend to upload on Unsung Composers up
elsewhere there will be very little point in people joining that website.

I was delighted that John took the time and put in the effort to improve the quality of the Brian files.

The idea of then putting the music on You Tube is one that I would have been interested to reflect on and on which I would have sought advice.

Unfortunately, I was not given the opportunity to do so.

That I regret!
I apologise. I didn't think there would be an issue here. The youtube videos have been removed.

Dundonnell

The "issue" is simply one of my prior agreement to a file which could not have been made without my original transfer being placed on YouTube.

As I said in my previous post,  the idea of putting the Violin Concerto (or any other of the Brian files) on YouTube is not one to which I would have returned an automatic negative.

My response to such a suggestion would have been along the lines of "Can that be done legally?". I simply don't know enough about YouTube to be able to answer that question myself. That is why I would
have sought appropriate advice from those who know about such things.

I would also have considered the impact of sharing my collection more widely than originally intended. I have quickly developed a very considerable amount of respect for those who run and those who
contribute to Unsung Composers. The members there are sharing their extremely valuable collections of seldom heard music on the basis of mutual trust. They do not necessarily wish to have their
recordings made available to other people. I need to respect that and to be judicious with what I share.

Again....I would probably have concluded that sharing three or four works with a wider audience might be acceptable.

This unfortunate situation could have been avoided if we had discussed it prior to anything being rushed.

I am deeply sorry that this misunderstanding has come about.  As I have said before, I am immensely grateful to John for the hard work he has put in to improving the sound quality of my originals.
This was done on a totally voluntary basis and I very much admire his efforts.

At the end of the day what unites us is a love of a great composer's music. That is the most important thing of all :)

I am sure that we can move on and reach a proper understanding and agreement. :)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 31, 2011, 04:43:18 PM
The "issue" is simply one of my prior agreement to a file which could not have been made without my original transfer being placed on YouTube.

As I said in my previous post,  the idea of putting the Violin Concerto (or any other of the Brian files) on YouTube is not one to which I would have returned an automatic negative.

My response to such a suggestion would have been along the lines of "Can that be done legally?". I simply don't know enough about YouTube to be able to answer that question myself. That is why I would
have sought appropriate advice from those who know about such things.

I would also have considered the impact of sharing my collection more widely than originally intended. I have quickly developed a very considerable amount of respect for those who run and those who
contribute to Unsung Composers. The members there are sharing their extremely valuable collections of seldom heard music on the basis of mutual trust. They do not necessarily wish to have their
recordings made available to other people. I need to respect that and to be judicious with what I share.

Again....I would probably have concluded that sharing three or four works with a wider audience might be acceptable.

This unfortunate situation could have been avoided if we had discussed it prior to anything being rushed.

I am deeply sorry that this misunderstanding has come about.  As I have said before, I am immensely grateful to John for the hard work he has put in to improving the sound quality of my originals.
This was done on a totally voluntary basis and I very much admire his efforts.

At the end of the day what unites us is a love of a great composer's music. That is the most important thing of all :)

I am sure that we can move on and reach a proper understanding and agreement. :)
No big deal. The videos have gone. End of issue. My personal approach is to share everything via Youtube because you get the widest possible audience and therefore make the biggest impact. I was very struck with the Holmes and my instict was to "get it out there". I've posted hundreds of radio/LP performances on my 2 channels. You have a dfifferent perspective and so be it. I will get hold of the original from the BBC or buy the Aries disc and potentially resubmit to Youtube at a later date. We move on.....

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am glad the two music enthusiasts Colin and John have settled their differences amicably.

As for the legality of YouTube uploads - that's a thorny issue. The music is Brian's, the performance by Holmes/Pope/New Philharmonia, the recording and broadcast are by the BBC, preserved on reel-to-reel tapes by Colin, and now digitised by Colin and further improved by John...

cilgwyn

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 31, 2011, 01:31:38 PM
Wonderful. Now,everyone can hear the performance.
I remember playing that old C90,someone posted me,over and over again. Somehow,the new Naxos didn't cast the same spell on me.

A red letter day (night!) for Brian's admirers (and Holmes).

:o Oh well,'alls well that ends well'! :)

thranx

Gentlemen: regrets at no Sharon Tate.  However I did have a nice chat this morning with a lady some of you may remember.   Julie studied classical piano (very big on Saint-Saens) as well as ballet; however her talents took her in directions that deviated somewhat from a career in classical music.  Our acquaintance arises from the fact that my uncle produced a TV show in the '60's in which she created a role that lives to this day.  As does she.  For those who are further curious (and in the U.S.), she just wrapped a piece two days ago for the show CBS Sunday Morning which she said should air in a couple of weeks.  I neglected to ask her if she played some piano on it.  For some reason when she's interviewed, the subject of classical piano doesn't seem to come up.  I introduced her to Brian.

Brian was unique.  So is Julie.

Julie Newmar
<a href="http://www.fanpix.net/gallery/julie-newmar-pictures.htm" target="_blank">Julie Newmar Pictures</a>

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: thranx on November 01, 2011, 08:38:45 AM
Our acquaintance arises from the fact that my uncle produced a TV show in the '60's in which she created a role that lives to this day.  As does she.

She played Catwoman... Then I 'know' her.  :)

cilgwyn

I-I think I'll erm make that cd of Dundonnell,I mean,Brians 3rd now. For my own personal consumption only,of course! ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: thranx on November 01, 2011, 08:38:45 AM
Brian was unique.  So is Julie.

Julie Newmar
<a href="http://www.fanpix.net/gallery/julie-newmar-pictures.htm" target="_blank">Julie Newmar Pictures</a>

Coincidently I've been thinking about Miss Newmar much lately. She was one of my celebrity crushes in my teen years, I recently found a few episodes of My Living Doll on usenet. She was sexy and funny. Last week I saw an episode of Columbo during which she demonstrated her prowess in yoga. The camera lingered while Columbo forgot momentarily that he was married  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 01, 2011, 09:05:14 AM
Last week I saw an episode of Columbo during which she demonstrated her prowess in yoga. The camera lingered while Columbo forgot momentarily that he was married  ;D

Sarge

I know that episode! Lovely lady, indeed.

Karl Henning

"Double Shock," yes, a fine episode.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on October 31, 2011, 11:49:33 PM
I am glad the two music enthusiasts Colin and John have settled their differences amicably.

As for the legality of YouTube uploads - that's a thorny issue. The music is Brian's, the performance by Holmes/Pope/New Philharmonia, the recording and broadcast are by the BBC, preserved on reel-to-reel tapes by Colin, and now digitised by Colin and further improved by John...
Legally it's the BBC's property. The tape and the post tinkering are not relevant. The BBC chucked loads of their archive away unfortunately. I've never had a complaint via Youtube about any of my radio tapes. A couple of vinyls have created problems but I just remove them when I get a warning from the Youtube police. Quite frankly I don't thoink the BBC are bothered about historical classical music recordings. I will chase a couple of my contacts there re Holmes and also speak to the RAM to see if they can put me in touch with the violinist's family. I've had success in the past (and some failures!!) but let's see. Lots of my Tippett archive comes from a friendly BBC producer who has swapped recordings with me.

cilgwyn

I am listening to the Dundonnell taped recording of Brian as broadcast by the BBC and 'improved' by John  :D now! It's too early to make any comments, really,but,despite the age of the recording,the performance does have more flair and elan.There seems more momentum and sensitivity for Brians orchestration. I used to have the Aries Lp and a cassette of this a long time ago,so it is sort of,'coming back to me'. A fascinating score. Almost compulsive listening,one of my all time favourite symphonies.
The Hyperion is quite good,but seems to lumber along by comparison. Thank you Dundonnell & erm,John (and the Beeb,and the musicians and the conductor,etc! :D Not to mention Dundonells tape recorder & the dry atmosphere and condensation free conditions in his attic. That's enough thanks,ed. :o).
Can't wait to get to the 'Allegro Vivace'!
MARVELLOUS!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 01, 2011, 10:16:31 AM
I am listening to the Dundonnell taped recording of Brian as broadcast by the BBC and 'improved' by John  :D now! It's too early to make any comments, really,but,despite the age of the recording,the performance does have more flair and elan.There seems more momentum and sensitivity for Brians orchestration. I used to have the Aries Lp and a cassette of this a long time ago,so it is sort of,'coming back to me'. A fascinating score. Almost compulsive listening,one of my all time favourite symphonies.
The Hyperion is quite good,but seems to lumber along by comparison. Thank you Dundonnell & erm,John (and the Beeb,and the musicians and the conductor,etc! :D Not to mention Dundonells tape recorder & the dry atmosphere and condensation free conditions in his attic. That's enough thanks,ed. :o).
Can't wait to get to the 'Allegro Vivace'!
MARVELLOUS!
Glad you are liking it. My next task is to make some improvements on the Naxos Brian 4. The starting point is to remove the music ;D

cilgwyn

:D :D :D
I must confess to,rather enjoying,the very old fashioned spoken introduction to the 3rd symphony. I must admit that this is one of the main reasons why I avoid Radio 3 like the blazes these days,unless there's something I particularly need to hear or,more importantly record on ye olde cassette deck. It's just way too populistic & 'dumbed down' in tone & style. Sometimes,I wonder why they don't just chuck it in & hand the keys over to Classic FM,so we can enjoy some more of those smooooooooooooooth classics & annoying ads! Eeeugh!
Terrible throw back,aren't I?  :o
But then again,while I love music,I've never taken to the idea of someone putting on records for me. I'm like Johan,there,I need to be in the right mood for a piece of music.
As to Alan Titchtwit,Katie DerHAM & their ilk;they should stick to gardening and reading the b***** news! Gerrem off! Boooh! Hisss!
Yuk & double yuk! >:D
Anyway!