Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Brians journalism appears attractive,because he was an open minded,modest sounding man,with a sense of humour,unlike the authors of some dry as dust tomes I have come across from that era.
Maybe Xmas or the New Year?

Online streaming? You would,presumably,have to pay something of course. I wonder if the British Library Sound Archive will ever do that?

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 10, 2011, 08:06:40 AM

It's not that easy. As an HBS member I can borrow CDs with radio performances from the Recordings Library. You have to pay a deposit and copying is prohibited for copyright reasons. (Martyn, the HBS Webmaster, may correct me if I'm wrong). I wish the HBS would have its Library online, and that performances could be streamed to members. That would really be a 21st century solution. Now it's a hassle.
I don't know much about the HBS and I'm not a member. Are you saying that I could join, pay to borrow the Holmes and send it back? Copying may be "prohibited" by the HBS - they couldn't police this but by making the statement they are covering themselves - but the copy in the HBS isn't their copyright in the first place and they are allowing it into the public domain by lending it out. It's the BBC's recording. All very strange. Surely a paying member can twist an arm or two here? I'd happily make a donation to the HBS if they let me get my hands on it. I promise not to copy it. Honest.

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 10, 2011, 08:06:40 AM

It's not that easy. As an HBS member I can borrow CDs with radio performances from the Recordings Library. You have to pay a deposit and copying is prohibited for copyright reasons. (Martyn, the HBS Webmaster, may correct me if I'm wrong). I wish the HBS would have its Library online, and that performances could be streamed to members. That would really be a 21st century solution. Now it's a hassle.

If they did that,everybody would want to join!!!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 10, 2011, 08:37:26 AM
Brians journalism appears attractive,because he was an open minded,modest sounding man,with a sense of humour,unlike the authors of some dry as dust tomes I have come across from that era.
Maybe Xmas or the New Year?

Online streaming? You would,presumably,have to pay something of course. I wonder if the British Library Sound Archive will ever do that?
Does Johan know anyone in the European Archive which is based in Holland? I've got loads of their downloads. If they could get a copy of the Aries LP with the Holmes on it the problem would be solved.
http://www.europarchive.org/results.php?query=collection:public_classical_music_BeG

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 10, 2011, 08:42:34 AM
Does Johan know anyone in the European Archive which is based in Holland? I've got loads of their downloads. If they could get a copy of the Aries LP with the Holmes on it the problem would be solved.
http://www.europarchive.org/results.php?query=collection:public_classical_music_BeG

Funnily enough a GMG member and someone I know personally works for the Archive, Rolf den Otter (otterhouse)... But, remember - the Aries recording is pirated and they only upload LPs that are out of copyright...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 10, 2011, 08:46:38 AM

Funnily enough a GMG member and someone I know personally works for the Archive, Rolf den Otter (otterhouse)... But, remember - the Aries recording is pirated and they only upload LPs that are out of copyright...
What a small world. Buy Rolf a couple of pints and bung a few Euros in a plain brown envelope(the Euros will soon be worthless anyway) and see what he can come up with ;D

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 10, 2011, 08:38:41 AM
I don't know much about the HBS and I'm not a member. Are you saying that I could join, pay to borrow the Holmes and send it back? Copying may be "prohibited" by the HBS - they couldn't police this but by making the statement they are covering themselves - but the copy in the HBS isn't their copyright in the first place and they are allowing it into the public domain by lending it out. It's the BBC's recording. All very strange. Surely a paying member can twist an arm or two here? I'd happily make a donation to the HBS if they let me get my hands on it. I promise not to copy it. Honest.

Of course they have to say this,don't they? MY 'source' obviously wasn't too careful & he just sent it,anyway! Of course,there is a STRONG possiblity I got it wrong & it's from somewhere else!!!! :D
As to off air copies. It's your tape,you're cassette recorder (or whatever they use now) & you're time recording it. But if you tape it off the Beeb,it's their property really,however much personal value you might place on it.
I am given to understand they eased up on the home recording laws,recently. Although,obviously if you're into making hundreds of copies or the 21st century answer to the late lamented (gawd bless em!) Aries Pirate Recording Enterprises!

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 10, 2011, 08:49:48 AM
What a small world. Buy Rolf a couple of pints and bung a few Euros in a plain brown envelope(the Euros will soon be worthless anyway) and see what he can come up with ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o

cilgwyn

Any legal suggestions will be most welcome! :D

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 10, 2011, 09:10:58 AM
Any legal suggestions will be most welcome! :D

I will withhold the illegal suggestions until you become really desparate then!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2011-11-10[IMG]

Dundonnells got one of these? :o
Something else I don't have! :(
He can even buy his nice Grundig TK-14 'brand new' reel to reel albums:

http://www.tapeproject.com

Maybe,I've got one in my attic? :(  (Behind that Water Cistern,thing!)

Okay,now to order that special lead,for transferring tapes (after the home made chilli con carne's gone down! :o)

cilgwyn

You've got to love the Disco lighting!
Or maybe,it's an Xmas tree?
A nice place for you're spanking new Havergal Brian Lp.
And then you found Santa delivered a pirate!
HO! HO! HO!

Shiver me bloomin' timbers! :o

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 09, 2011, 08:45:00 PM
Say what? ???

[asin]B005Z4D2EW[/asin]

Well, that's odd.  Maybe you used a different search term than I did?
US release date is two weeks after the UK release date, I note.

Also, I've found it on MDT. Pricewise MDT is cheaper than Presto which is cheaper than AmazonUS (I did not do the math to figure out what AmazonUK price works out in USD, but I think it's about the same as MDT), but the differences are small enough that shipping charges and credit card transaction fees and VAT could make a difference (for instance, if I order from Presto it would be part of a larger order, which lessens the impact of the shipping charges considerably, whereas if I order from MDT, it would be only the individual item)--and the prospect that ordering from the UK could mean getting it in the US before the official release date here.

Lethevich

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 10, 2011, 03:27:21 PM

You've got to love the Disco lighting!
Or maybe,it's an Xmas tree?

I lol'd at that cover - that is definitely a Christmas tree hidden in the bokeh. Occam's Razor forbids me from imagining convoluted scenarios about it being placed on a suspiciously fireside rug-looking towel, on a wall in front of a city scene.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

kishnevi

Y'all will be happy to know that I found some other stuff at MDT and so I ordered the Hyperion Gothic from there along with:

BRIAN, HAVERGAL Symphonies Nos. 20 & 25, Fantastic Variations on an Old Rhyme. National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine ( Naxos)

BRIAN, HAVERGAL Symphonies Nos. 11 & 15. RTE National Symphony Orchestra / Tony Rowe, Adrian Leaper. (Naxos)

CDH55029
HAVERGAL BRIAN Symphony No. 3 BBC Symphony Orchestra / Lionel Friend (Helios )

CDA679712
BRIAN, HAVERGAL Symphony No. 1 The Gothic. BBC National Orchestra of Wales, BBC Concert Orchestra / Martyn Brabbins. (Hyperion)

Also some stuff by guys named Byrd, Martucci and Haydn, but they aren't that important :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 10, 2011, 03:48:22 PM
Well, that's odd.  Maybe you used a different search term than I did?

Usually when I want to get specific when searching on Amazon, I type in the last name of the composer and the record label. In this case, the search would look like this: Brian Hyperion. I've been doing business with Amazon for a long time and I've figured out their quirky search engine. It just took some time. Of course, when searching for music, it's good to search under their "music" category instead of "all departments." ;) :D

cilgwyn

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 10, 2011, 04:02:10 PM
I lol'd at that cover - that is definitely a Christmas tree hidden in the bokeh. Occam's Razor forbids me from imagining convoluted scenarios about it being placed on a suspiciously fireside rug-looking towel, on a wall in front of a city scene.

By dinasman at 2011-11-10

Yes,it could be anywhere,really! :D And only,the Aries Records 'art dept' could make a Havergal Brian record look like a James Last album!
'Non Stop Brian',anyone? :o

Come to think of it,we allready do! :)

Philip Legge

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 10, 2011, 08:06:40 AMIt's not that easy. As an HBS member I can borrow CDs with radio performances from the Recordings Library. You have to pay a deposit and copying is prohibited for copyright reasons. ... Now it's a hassle.

Tell me about it... the loan period is only a month. By the time a CD reached me, I'd probably be having to put it back in the post almost the same day for it to get back to the UK only several weeks late. No Brian CDs for me. I'd also note that I would be quite happy to actually purchase commercial copies of these works if they were available – but they aren't. (The BBC was incredibly slack about commercially exploiting their treasure trove of recorded music, radio, and television shows until comparatively recently.)

cilgwyn

Of course there would be no loss in quality now,unless you were as bad at making cd-r's as me! ;D With the old cassettes,every copy made was a little inferior to the master copy;not that we,staunch, 'Brianites, minded!

I'm always knocking those Naxos Brian cds. Listening to the Naxos performances of Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies 5 & 6,under Andrew Penny,reminds me that Naxos isn't the problem. Having been 'brought up' on Arnolds rather self indulgent recordings,I'd never realised how good these symphonies really were,until now. Penny takes these scores at quite a crack. This is what a really good insightful conductor can do for a score. Also,these recordings have a spacious quality (fantastic,actually) totally unlike some of those 'boxy'  Brian recordings.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 12, 2011, 04:21:56 AM
Of course there would be no loss in quality now,unless you were as bad at making cd-r's as me! ;D With the old cassettes,every copy made was a little inferior to the master copy;not that we,staunch, 'Brianites, minded!

I'm always knocking those Naxos Brian cds. Listening to the Naxos performances of Malcolm Arnold's Symphonies 5 & 6,under Andrew Penny,reminds me that Naxos isn't the problem. Having been 'brought up' on Arnolds rather self indulgent recordings,I'd never realised how good these symphonies really were,until now. Penny takes these scores at quite a crack. This is what a really good insightful conductor can do for a score. Also,these recordings have a spacious quality (fantastic,actually) totally unlike some of those 'boxy'  Brian recordings.
Naxos is a great label. The Arnold set is superb, especially the 9th. The problem with many of the early Brian Marco Polos is that they were recorded by less famous ensembles in some pretty poor studios/concert halls. To be fair, the sales were always going to be low and it wouldn't have made any commercial sense to do it any other way. Their Bantock Hebridean Symphony is a horrid congested recording but at least they bothered to record it (The Hyperion version with the RPO is in a different league). What Marco Polo/Naxos have done is to widen the CD catalogue substantially at a very fair price. I have most of their releases and I must say that there are very few duds. They've done for CD what CFP and Pye Golden Guinea did for vinyl so fair dos.