Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

That's not cricket,gentlemen! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 15, 2011, 02:30:01 AM
That's not cricket,gentlemen! :o

No, in the case of Lineker it's football, in the case of Shipman it's murder... I find it rather strange that Harold Shipman should be 'famous'.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

With due respect to John,footballs murder as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather listen to Das Siegeslied! ;D As to Shipman. I think the term 'notorious' is more appropriate! :o

I wonder if Havergal Brian is well known enough to be called famous? He's certainly famous here,(on this thread) but I'm not sure whether he is merely celebrated,elsewhere?
The Gothic,on the other hand IS quite famous. Maybe,even more famous than Brian himself? Or is it's 'fame' merely one of celebrity or notoriety?

I notice that on the cheerful 'Find a grave' website,you can actually 'vote' how famous you think a deceased person was. I'm not sure HB is there (I haven't looked yet!).

Not that it matters really,of course!
Havergal Brian,fortunately,never got to front any Potato Crisp campaigns & I rather doubt he'd have wanted to. But,as we all know here,he did get a posthumous bus!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have left several messages on 'Find a grave' (Delius, Korngold, Langgaard). Brian was cremated, iirc...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Of course. It,sort of,fits in with his philosophy. He was an atheist,wasn't he (?). Of course it's cheaper too! When my time comes,there won't be any nice slate (or black marble) for me!!! Not that I'll be worrying about it!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'll have a state funeral.

cilgwyn

Well that puts in my place! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 15, 2011, 05:28:41 AM
I'll have a state funeral.
The mourners will all say,"Johan looks a right state."

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on November 15, 2011, 05:40:33 AM
The mourners will all say,"Johan looks a right state."

I can live with that. Better dead than alive!

Lethevich

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 15, 2011, 02:35:32 AM
No, in the case of Lineker it's football, in the case of Shipman it's murder... I find it rather strange that Harold Shipman should be 'famous'.

Eep, I was attending a health and safety course at my local hospital earlier today and he was mentioned during one of the presentations. This makes two times now - maybe a third and he will appear in my bathroom mirror to drag me into the other-world? :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 15, 2011, 06:07:29 AM
Eep, I was attending a health and safety course at my local hospital earlier today and he was mentioned during one of the presentations. This makes two times now - maybe a third and he will appear in my bathroom mirror to drag me into the other-world? :P

He's behind you now.  :o

John Whitmore

J.Z. Herrenberg

* looking * Yes, coast clear.

cilgwyn

Nice price on Amazon for a pre order 'Hyperion Gothic'. This should meet my quota nicely. I have resisted downloading the Toccata Vol 2 in favour of the old fashioned cd format. (This from someone who recently bought s/h musicassettes (remember them?) of Handel oratorio's & Rossini opera's,from a very nice seller on ebay! And I MIGHT buy some more! ;D) So I won't have it until December 5th! :o Although,I heard the bits broadcast on R3 (thanks to your reminder,Johan!) :)
And then there are the complete songs in the pipeline. (It will be a bit strange listening to 'someone else' singing them,of course!) I just wonder what else is in store,Brian wise, for 2012? It could be a bumper year?
But I mustn't speak too soon! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 16, 2011, 03:49:01 AM
It could be a bumper year?
But I mustn't speak too soon! :(

Indeed. Bumper and bummer are quite near to each other...

cilgwyn

Disturbingly! Of course,just because I'm hoping for a flurry of world premiere recordings,a brand new state of the art recording of the 3rd symphony and the Sinfonia Tragica at the next Prom season,doesn't REALLY mean that the entire course of 2012 will mysteriously alter just to spoil things for me (us!). :o

I hope? :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

The HBS is planning (a) concert(s), because next year will be the 30th anniversary of Brian's death. We don't know the details yet...

Nice Mondrian avatar!

cilgwyn

Thank you! I hope the concert/s go well.
I have placed my Amazon pre-order for the Hyperion Gothic,just now. Maybe,I'm expecting too much,but it would be rather nice if some really spectacular sales encouraged Hyperion to do more Brian. But I'm not sure they're THAT interested. Chandos are another one. I may be wrong,but I believe the only Brian they have ever recorded is the brief,but very arresting,'Festival Fanfare'. It doesn't last long,but it certainly grabs you!

Lethevich

Well, the "bundle" arrived, and it was better value than I had suspected - volume 1 was hardback which upgrades my other copy. I also got volume 2 of the new series at the same time, which I'm ripping in a mo'.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.