Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: petrarch on December 21, 2011, 03:12:24 AM
I think all HB circle members should be required to get their meeting attire from http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/coats.php :).

You know, there's stuff there I'm actually interested in getting.....
But which one of us would get the Vienna Brocade Tailcoat?

Mirror Image

Johan, have you received your Brabbins Gothic recording yet?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 21, 2011, 07:22:07 PM
Johan, have you received your Brabbins Gothic recording yet?

No, alas.  :'(  The postal services must be overstretched.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

petrarch

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 21, 2011, 02:15:00 PM
How in heaven (or earth) someone who, presumably, purports to love music can wish to so gratuitously insult, offend and denigrate other music-lovers is utterly beyond my comprehension :o :o

Reminds me of certain elements in the GMG membership :).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2011, 01:04:40 AM

No, alas.  :'(  The postal services must be overstretched.

Just arrived in Perth :) :)

Shan't be listening until Christmas itself though ;D

thranx

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 18, 2011, 11:19:37 AM
I found this on Twitter:

@GlobalNews247: Listening Post /Brief reviews of select releases: Classical Havergal Brian, Symphony No. 1 inD-Mino... http://t.co/GhYFCqL0 #Music #News

The review is a bit incoherent at times and contains a few mistakes (Brian wrote more than 20 symphonies after his First). But the work gets three out of four stars... And it's nice to see a new Hobbit on the block - Martyn Braggins.

JZ...I believe you mean that would be Martyn Baggins.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: thranx on December 22, 2011, 02:00:37 PM
JZ...I believe you mean that would be Martyn Baggins.

In the article they write 'Braggins', which is a nice conflation of Baggins and Brabbins. That's why I called Martyn a 'new' Hobbit.

Only today I watched the first two LOTR movies with my daughter (12 in a few days' time)... She liked them. Another convert.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Has The Gothic arrived in Delft yet, Johan ??? ???

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 23, 2011, 04:14:32 AM
Has The Gothic arrived in Delft yet, Johan ??? ???

Alas, no... Whether it'll be a Brian Christmas, I don't know.  Frustrating.  >:(

Dundonnell

Oh no :o

Is there a postal delivery tomorrow?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 23, 2011, 04:19:19 AM
Oh no :o

Is there a postal delivery tomorrow?

Yes. And if it isn't there, there'll be a special delivery to the cranium of the nearest post(wo)man.

Karl Henning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2011, 02:08:57 PM
Only today I watched the first two LOTR movies with my daughter (12 in a few days' time)... She liked them. Another convert.

To languish in the tangent . . . this week is the first I've sat down to any of them (I've started with The R. of the K.)

What are your feelings about the liberties taken in the screen adaptation, Johan? (Feel free to take this to a more appropriate thread, as desired;  I anm interested in as detailed a response as you may be inclined to wind up . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 23, 2011, 04:22:43 AM
Yes. And if it isn't there, there'll be a special delivery to the cranium of the nearest post(wo)man.

Don't shoot bludgeon the messenger! : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 04:36:02 AM
To languish in the tangent . . . this week is the first I've sat down to any of them (I've started with The R. of the K.)

What are your feelings about the liberties taken in the screen adaptation, Johan? (Feel free to take this to a more appropriate thread, as desired;  I anm interested in as detailed a response as you may be inclined to wind up . . . .)

I must be precise - I know all the movies backwards, but I watched them with my daughter for the first time . I do have my opinion(s) about the adaptation. When I have the time, I'll start a thread. Now the first trailer of The Hobbit has arrived, the film LOTR is back in the public consciousness, too...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 04:37:06 AM
Don't shoot bludgeon the messenger! : )

You're right. I should restrain myself.

Karl Henning

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 23, 2011, 04:44:35 AM
You're right. I should restrain myself.

Unless you have good reason to believe that the delay in delivery coincides with the post(wo)man's enjoying your compact disc . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 04:51:14 AM
Unless you have good reason to believe that the delay in delivery coincides with the post(wo)man's enjoying your compact disc . . . .

O, but that would constitute a mitigating circumstance!  ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 04:51:14 AM
Very unlikely unless postmen/women in the Netherlands wear sandals, sniff incense, don't eat meat, wear duffle coats, have long smelly beards and don't retire until they are 75. Your typical European Brian fan, Johan excluded of course.

Karl Henning

Sniff incense . . . without burning it, do you mean, John? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

John Whitmore

Quote from: karlhenning on December 23, 2011, 07:51:37 AM
Sniff incense . . . without burning it, do you mean, John? . . .
Yes. Without burning it. We are in a serious financial downturn. It lasts longer if you don't burn it. Good tip or what?