Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Excellent, very detailed full page review of the Brabbins Gothic in the new issue of 'International Record Review' (the magazine for "the Serious Classical Collector").

Written by Richard Whitehouse the review has almost nothing but praise for the performance of a work which it describes as "a flawed masterpiece that risks so much in staking out the listener's awareness of its greatness"-a phrase I rather like ;D

I also like Whitehouse's early statement that "mocking is easy as a substitute for constructive criticism".

As an exceptionally acute review of the performance, almost minute by minute, this is a must read for Brianites and non-Brianites alike.

mahler10th

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 03, 2012, 08:15:41 AM
I should have some good news for you all in a few weeks time. A couple of professional LP transfers are on the way. Not by me. Proper professional ones. I'm partly involved - I've had a sneak preview of one of the files and I am very hopeful indeed. ;)

This is exciting news John.  I am slabbering to hear them.

And I must look out the Brian review in IRR, to which I have no subscription.  I am very interested to read that Colin.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 05, 2012, 05:30:17 AM
Excellent, very detailed full page review of the Brabbins Gothic in the new issue of 'International Record Review' (the magazine for "the Serious Classical Collector").

Written by Richard Whitehouse the review has almost nothing but praise for the performance of a work which it describes as "a flawed masterpiece that risks so much in staking out the listener's awareness of its greatness"-a phrase I rather like ;D

I also like Whitehouse's early statement that "mocking is easy as a substitute for constructive criticism".

As an exceptionally acute review of the performance, almost minute by minute, this is a must read for Brianites and non-Brianites alike.

:)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 05, 2012, 05:56:41 AM
This is exciting news John.  I am slabbering to hear them.
Heard more samples today and artwork is underway. Really happy with the progress.

cilgwyn

I see in the Radio Times schedule for R3,Monday January 9th,this!

Brian: Symphony No 1 in D Minor (Gothic) 00.30-02.19

It's the Brabbins! Something to listen to in bed? ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2012, 09:34:59 AM

No ta. Have preferable options in bed ;D

mahler10th

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2012, 09:34:59 AM

Fabulous cilgwyn.  Thanks for that.  I will be tuning in and may attatch all manner of devices and software on listening to hear it more after the scheduled broadcast.

cilgwyn

It might not be the right kind of music,for.......?!!!! :o Mind you,if the volume is turned up loud enough & you give it enough bass,it could make the earth move!
For those of us with nothing better to do,headphones might be a good idea. Can't imagine the neighbours responding positively to the Gothic at 1am! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

I wonder, indeed, whether the BBC wants Brianites to turn into the neighbours from Hell...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Karl Henning

There's that old Rutland Weekend Television gag of Eric Idle's:

Quote. . . would like to remind you that playing your records loud at night will annoy and irritate the neighbours.

Another good way to annoy and irritate the neighbours
is . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for reminding me of that one, Karl!  ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2012, 12:37:19 PM
There's that old Rutland Weekend Television gag of Eric Idle's:
Not heard of that TV programme for years. Our school exercise books in the early 1960s used to have embazoned at the top: Leicestershire and Rutland Education Authority (logo of Fox). Rutland is slightly bigger than my back garden.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 06, 2012, 01:48:53 PM
Not heard of that TV programme for years. Our school exercise books in the early 1960s used to have embazoned at the top: Leicestershire and Rutland Education Authority (logo of Fox). Rutland is slightly bigger than my back garden.

What's the name of your back garden?

John Whitmore

J.Z. Herrenberg

Richard Whitehouse, in his review of The Gothic in IRR, calls it a 'flawed masterpiece'...

As someone who knows all of Brian's symphonies, I have come to recognise the passages where Brian has to get from inspired idea A to inspired idea B. Sometimes he just uses a pause, Bruckner fashion, but more often there is a (short) linking passage, built on a rhythm, that gets him into the target tonality. These linking passages can have their own beauty, but sometimes they are rather mechanical. This happens in The Gothic, too, but to these ears only in the final movement, where after the opening tenor solo you have a few minutes of choral build-up with no real payoff. That's the only flaw I see in the whole of The Gothic. The rest is absolutely inspired.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 07, 2012, 01:56:36 AM
Richard Whitehouse, in his review of The Gothic in IRR, calls it a 'flawed masterpiece'...

As someone who knows all of Brian's symphonies, I have come to recognise the passages where Brian has to get from inspired idea A to inspired idea B. Sometimes he just uses a pause, Bruckner fashion, but more often there is a (short) linking passage, built on a rhythm, that gets him into the target tonality. These linking passages can have their own beauty, but sometimes they are rather mechanical. This happens in The Gothic, too, but to these ears only in the final movement, where after the opening tenor solo you have a few minutes of choral build-up with no real payoff. That's the only flaw I see in the whole of The Gothic. The rest is absolutely inspired.
GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

John Whitmore

OK, we have Bruckner fans on here. Each to their own. Let me share something with you.

http://www.klassichaus.us/

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 07, 2012, 02:24:19 AM
OK, we have Bruckner fans on here. Each to their own. Let me share something with you.

http://www.klassichaus.us/

Thanks for the link.

Hortense von Gelmini....now there's a conductor seldom discussed around these parts  ;D  She has guest conducted my local band (the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Whitmore

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 07, 2012, 02:54:22 AM
Thanks for the link.

Hortense von Gelmini....now there's a conductor seldom discussed around these parts  ;D  She has guest conducted my local band (the Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz).

Sarge
You are welcome Sarge. I've purchased downloads off this site. I can vouch for their quality. Haven't heard the Bruckner transfers. Surprise, surprise :D

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2012-01-07

Just bought this! :)
Haven't got it yet,but ye olde cheque's in the post.
Nice to see my favourite Brian symphony,No3, (sorry Gothic!) [& some other people's] in the photo.
MM is in my experience of music books,one of the few people who can evoke the sound world of a symphony in words. This book really opened up these symphonies,for me,as a teenage boy.