Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Winky Willy on Today at 01:43:49
Thanks! I probably should have checked there first!

Yep.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Winky Willy

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Winky Willy

I think I'll go look for the Requiem now.

J.Z. Herrenberg

You do that. I am saying this day farewell... Night night!

Winky Willy

cilgwyn

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 27, 2012, 12:48:41 PM
I'll have a look!

It's by our very own Brian (Reinhart)!

Just read it - WOW! Congratulations (Havergal) BRIAN (Reinhart)!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/Feb12/Brian_Gothic_CDA679712.htm

I hope that I am not unduly embarrassing Brian (as in our Brian R.) but the response I got from Malcolm MacDonald to the Musicweb review reads as follows:

"That's an impressive piece of work. He clearly has a future as a writer on music."

High praise indeed from the greatest living authority on Havergal Brian :)  And well-deserved too :) :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Very nice, Colin!

(Back to zzzzzzzzz....)

calyptorhynchus

Since I've started reading and posting here I've learn about the existence of the old radio recordings and have downloaded most of them. Like most of the posters here I tend to agree that in many cases they are superior to more recent recordings!

I was listening to the Mackerras 2 the other day and was blown away by the scherzo, like the rest of the broadcast, much superior to the Naxos recording. Does anyone know if Mackerras did actually get to use 16 horns, or did he cut to down to 8 as Rowe does (or was forced to)?

Another random thought: I was listening to Elegy this morning and thinking that this was the least elegiac elegy ever written (it's a another tough-minded march movement). I think one of things that attracts me to Brian's music is the fact that there isn't a moment in it of self-pity or wallowing in lacrimae rerum. Brian's music depicts a world full of sorrow and violence, but it itself is never sorrowful or violent for the sake of it.

Finally, my favourite HB symphonies: 1 [oh, I still have the Curro recording to listen to!], 6, 8, 10, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31, 32

If I had to whittle that down it would go: 1, 6, 8, 16, 32
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 28, 2012, 07:08:03 PM
If I had to whittle that down it would go: 1, 6, 8, 16, 32

Interesting. That would be my Top Five.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

1,3,7 & 10
And maybe 5?
3 is my favourite,followed by No 7!

Winky Willy

1, 3, 5, 12, 32

(this might change after listening to all these archive recordings)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Winky Willy on February 29, 2012, 08:13:08 AM
1, 3, 5, 12, 32

(this might change after listening to all these archive recordings)
No room for No.10? Three very good and different versions to have a go at. Amazed.

Winky Willy

I admit with shame that I have yet to listen to 10, though I have the Pope recording from the HB website.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Winky Willy on March 01, 2012, 08:01:49 AM
I admit with shame that I have yet to listen to 10, though I have the Pope recording from the HB website.
Buy this download for $5. The very first commercial recording of Brian's music in the entire galaxy. Truly historically significant but also in very good sound. Everyone should have this - but I'm biased of course!! :D
http://www.klassichaus.us/Havergal-Brian.php

Winky Willy

Wait, were you in the LSSO?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Winky Willy on Today at 22:39:07

:o  Don't get him started!
[he was]

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 01, 2012, 12:40:57 PM
Quote from: Winky Willy on Today at 22:39:07

:o 
Don't get him started! [he was]

Once upon a time ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

hbswebmaster

in a galaxy far, far away...