Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: hbswebmaster on March 01, 2012, 02:30:19 PM
in a galaxy far, far away...
...........a member of the HBS awaited the Nov/Dec newsletter number 218. Have I mislaid the thing or hasn't it been issued yet?

J.Z. Herrenberg

#218 was issued. I got the e-version on 24 December 2011...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 02, 2012, 03:53:25 AM
...........a member of the HBS awaited the Nov/Dec newsletter number 218. Have I mislaid the thing or hasn't it been issued yet?
I had seen it but must have lost it somewhere. Thanks for the copy Johan.

hbswebmaster

219 will hopefully be on its merry way today after a minor delay.

John Whitmore

Received this brief comment via email last night from a rather well known record reviewer/music writer:
Just listening to the secure toned and clean sounding Symph Brevis - wonderful to hear this work - as if for the first time - impressive in the more intimate moments as in 4:58 as well as in the grand and gaunt moments 7:19 - deeply impressive.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I agree. Curt Timmons has done an excellent job.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 06, 2012, 07:22:21 AM
I agree. Curt Timmons has done an excellent job.
He likes Bruckner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

cilgwyn

No funny names here,thank goodness! :)

Christo

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 06, 2012, 10:05:14 AM
No funny names here,thank goodness! :)

What about Havergal?  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on March 07, 2012, 07:18:41 AM
What about Havergal?  8)

Shhh....don't mention the elephant in the room  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Havergallll Llllangggaaard
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dundonnell

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 07, 2012, 11:51:51 AM
Silly, Silly Boys :o
You know you love it really,Dundonnell! ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 08, 2012, 07:31:58 AM
You know you love it really,Dundonnell! ;D
Dundonnell strikes me as being a slightly silly name. I bet he's a very silly boy indeed. :D

John Whitmore

Christo

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 08, 2012, 09:23:14 AM
Not especially silly:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2012/Mar12/Brian_LSSO.htm

The only 'silly' aspect of a name like Leicestershire for us, foreigners, is the fact that you need four extended syllables for the spelling of a simple (in pronunciation) three-syllable name. "Lestəshə" would have done. ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

John Whitmore

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2012, 10:35:22 AM
The only 'silly' aspect of a name like Leicestershire for us, foreigners, is the fact that you need four extended syllables for the spelling of a simple (in pronunciation) three-syllable name. "Lestəshə" would have done. ::)
HI Christo. I never realised you were a Scot :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 08, 2012, 09:21:56 AM
Dundonnell strikes me as being a slightly silly name. I bet he's a very silly boy indeed. :D

Dundonnell is the username I have given myself. It is the name of a small village in Wester Ross in the north-west of Scotland. The village lies at the foot of a great mountain called An Teallach and at the northern edge of the Dundonnell Forest, a large wilderness area(one of the largest in Britain) across which I hiked for three days some years ago. The Dundonnell Estate belongs to Sir Tim Rice these days ;D

It is not, therefore, for me a 'silly name' ;D Nor am I either 'silly' or, sadly, any longer a 'boy' :(

John Whitmore

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 08, 2012, 02:28:37 PM
Dundonnell is the username I have given myself. It is the name of a small village in Wester Ross in the north-west of Scotland. The village lies at the foot of a great mountain called An Teallach and at the northern edge of the Dundonnell Forest, a large wilderness area(one of the largest in Britain) across which I hiked for three days some years ago. The Dundonnell Estate belongs to Sir Tim Rice these days ;D

It is not, therefore, for me a 'silly name' ;D Nor am I either 'silly' or, sadly, any longer a 'boy' :(
I bet you are still a boy at heart. I am once I strip away the hagard weather beaten and crumbly exterior :D

Dundonnell

Quote from: John Whitmore on March 08, 2012, 02:42:20 PM
I bet you are still a boy at heart. I am once I strip away the hagard weather beaten and crumbly exterior :D

Oh...that's true ;D ;D