Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

That Mackerras CD is very good. Good buy! As for your inability to keep all the symphonies and other orchestral works apart, many of us were spoiled by the inimitable Malcolm MacDonald and his excellent Brian studies. Before I heard a note of any of the symphonies, I had read about them and had already a (sonic) mental picture beforehand. Your position is more difficult and I applaud you for diving in!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 07:34:14 AM
That Mackerras CD is very good. Good buy! As for your inability to keep all the symphonies and other orchestral works apart, many of us were spoiled by the inimitable Malcolm MacDonald and his excellent Brian studies. Before I heard a note of any of the symphonies, I had read about them and had already a (sonic) mental picture beforehand. Your position is more difficult and I applaud you for diving in!

Yeah, I listened to some of Symphony No. 7 on YT and I said to myself "Must. Buy. Now!" :D Well, I'm constantly reading about Brian and his life and thanks to the HBS website, I'm able to continue and further my education. The more knowledge I gain about Brian, the richer my listening experience will be the next time around.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 16, 2013, 07:03:24 AM
Honestly, Johan, I can't remember a note of any of the symphonies. I have the same problem with Tubin, Rubbra, and Holmboe for example. Not being able to remember a work after I heard it doesn't mean of course that I dislike the music, it's just that, in my opinion, this kind of music is best listened to 'in the moment' and as to whether anything sticks or not, I'm not worried about in the long run because I'm constantly surprised by melodic and harmonic inventiveness of their music. I've liked every work I've heard from Brian so far and this should be a testament to the kind of consistency he had as a composer. But, I'm still learning my way with Brian and this could take months and even years, it's just going to take a lot more time. I could never expect to snap my fingers and automatically understand this music, but that would be foolish and unrealistic, but all the composers I've had to make an effort with have ended up becoming favorites. Although, with Delius, there was no effort on my part. I heard In A Summer Garden and I was almost in a trance and it's so interesting to hear Eric Fenby speak of this love at first listen with Delius, because he said you'll either love him on first listen or you'll never understand him at all. He was certainly right!
It took me just over twenty years to 'crack' the later symphonies (11 onwards);with the exception of No's 16 & 21,which I got to know via those celebrated recordings! I used to think they all sounded the same. One day I decided to make cdrs of the symphonies,so that I could listen to them all in succession. In one evening,it was as if they all seemed to mysteriously 'open up'! What had previously seemed a craggy,granitic ear grating trawl seemed to shape shift into an astonishingly varied 'hinterland' (to pinch a word from the old Lyrita sleeve notes,I think?) that surprised and delighted the ear. It is possible that Johan will recall that particular evening (night,actually!)? The posts are still on this thread,somewhere!
The ones after No21 took a little longer;but the timely arrival of the  recent Naxos cd soon sorted that one out! I just hope they will release a follow up?!! By the way,if you like Brian and other composers less favoured by the 'establishment' (or whatever you call it?) there is some very bad music for British music lovers on the 'Duttons for October' thread at the Art Music Forum today!! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

I remember your 'night of revelation' very well, cilgwyn... I'll see if I can find out when it was. As for that bad news, I'll have a look...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

I'm listening to Symphony No. 11 again and this is just a gorgeous work. What do all of you think of this symphony?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, gorgeous it is (in the Naxos recording the opening movement is played too fast, IMO). As I said earlier, it's a beautiful and dreamlike work. Malcolm MacDonald calls it a 'holiday symphony', because the struggles of Symphonies 8-10 have no place in it...

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 16, 2013, 11:19:18 AM
I'm listening to Symphony No. 11 again and this is just a gorgeous work. What do all of you think of this symphony?
I truly don't remember much in detail about most of Brian's symphonies (like you, John!), except 10, 1, 3, 4, 12. I truly love them all, all that I have heard anyway. But 10 is my favourite of the bunch.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 11:23:10 AM
Yes, gorgeous it is (in the Naxos recording the opening movement is played too fast, IMO). As I said earlier, it's a beautiful and dreamlike work. Malcolm MacDonald calls it a 'holiday symphony', because the struggles of Symphonies 8-10 have no place in it...

Yes, I could see how someone like Brabbins could be able to do a little more with this symphony, but the current performance is certainly acceptable. I've been doing some reading and it appears there is another performance of Symphony No. 11 available (Harry Newstone, LSO). Anyway, yes, it's certainly dreamlike in it's overall mood.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on December 16, 2013, 11:24:59 AM
I truly don't remember much in detail about most of Brian's symphonies (like you, John!), except 10, 1, 3, 4, 12. I truly love them all, all that I have heard anyway. But 10 is my favourite of the bunch.

The only reason I remember anything about the 11th is because I'm listening to it right now. ;) :D But, seriously, I can hear some memorable themes. It's just Brian is so full of ideas. I mean it's like once he turned the tap on (referring to his symphonies mainly), it was hard for him to turn the tap off. Music flowed from him so naturally.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Mirror Image

I now certify myself to be a full-fledged Brianite. Hear! Hear! All in favor, say I.

I'm addicted to this composer's music, I can't stop listening to it. Aghhh...I thought this would never happen. Just proves one shouldn't ever say never. :) The fact Brian is virtually self-taught makes everything he wrote even more astonishing. Such a brilliant mind. I mean it's great if a composer can go to a conservatory or whatever but there are some minds that are beyond mere academics and Brian's was certainly one of them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 11:40:25 AM
Newstone's 11th is here:

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDBP9798

Thank you! How is the sound on this one, Johan? I'm worried about the 'mono' indicator on the front cover.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, I know about your predilection for great sound. These are historic recordings... BUT - there is no better performance yet of that wonderful slow movement that opens the work...

Nice to see you've been bitten by the Brian bug, btw. I know the feeling!

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 11:46:19 AM
Well, I know about your predilection for great sound. These are historic recordings... BUT - there is no better performance yet of that wonderful slow movement that opens the work...

Nice to see you've been bitten by the Brian bug, btw. I know the feeling!

Thanks for the feedback, Johan. I'm going to make it my personal mission for 2014 to champion the works of Brian, Rubbra, Schnittke, Koechlin, and Hartmann!

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already own the first volume.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 16, 2013, 11:49:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Johan. I'm going to make it my personal mission for 2014 to champion the works of Brian, Rubbra, Schnittke, Koechlin, and Hartmann!

Excellent cast of characters!

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 16, 2013, 11:52:19 AM
Just bought:

I already own the first volume.

That one is an amazing CD. Brian at his most mercurial.

Oh, that 'Concert Overture' you listened to (on the Naxos CD with 11 & 15) is called For Valour.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 11:54:48 AM

Excellent cast of characters!

8)

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 11:54:48 AMThat one is an amazing CD. Brian at his most mercurial.

Oh, that 'Concert Overture' you listened to (on the Naxos CD with 11 & 15) is called For Valour.

Yep, For Valour. Very nice work. Good to hear about this Walker recording. I certainly have a good bit of Brian on the way now. :)

Mirror Image

Really been enjoying this recording this afternoon:

There are so many facets to Brian's music.

J.Z. Herrenberg

You had the nice effect of making me listen to Brian again, John, after 'pausing him' for a few months. My thanks!

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 16, 2013, 01:22:59 PM
You had the nice effect of making me listen to Brian again, John, after 'pausing him' for a few months. My thanks!

Well thanks, Johan. I'm glad I could be the catalyst for you to get back into Brian again. Oh and I'll definitely be championing Delius again as I should have never stopped. Not sure what I was thinking there. Anyway, what do you think of all the English Suites? I know the second one is lost, right?