Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I'm about to start some serious Brian listening again. Hence why I changed my avatar back.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

The tough project for me would to convert Kimi...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on December 22, 2013, 08:23:57 AM
The tough project for me would to convert Kimi...

There's your New Year's resolution.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 08:23:28 AM
And lovely it is, too.

Yeah, this is a cool picture and I actually converted it to black-and-white from the original. I think it looks better. I actually did the same thing with your avatar as well.

I'm hoping all of my Brian recordings that I ordered get here before Christmas, but that's a mighty big wish.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I sometimes wonder what it is that can attract some listeners so strongly to this composer... For me - the sense of adventure, the feeling your are inside someone's brain-space... Brian may not have his heart on his sleeve, but he certainly welcomes you inside his mind.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2013, 08:30:24 AM
Yeah, this is a cool picture and I actually converted it to black-and-white from the original. I think it looks better. I actually did the same thing with your avatar as well.

I'm hoping all of my Brian recordings that I ordered get here before Christmas, but that's a mighty big wish.
Santa detests Brian so you might just come a cropper.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 08:38:36 AM
I sometimes wonder what it is that can attract some listeners so strongly to this composer... For me - the sense of adventure, the feeling your are inside someone's brain-space... Brian may not have his heart on his sleeve, but he certainly welcomes you inside his mind.

Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves in other ways. It doesn't have to be an overt emotionality in the music, in my opinion, for it to be considered 'heart on sleeve.' This said, I don't think Brian is a cold composer at all. Quite the contrary actually.

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on December 22, 2013, 08:55:55 AM
Santa detests Brian so you might just come a cropper.

All because Mrs. Claus is a Brianite? Geez, come on Santa!

Mirror Image

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2013, 08:57:18 AM
Some people wear their hearts on their sleeves in other ways. It doesn't have to be an overt emotionality in the music, in my opinion, for it to be considered 'heart on sleeve.' This said, I don't think Brian is a cold composer at all. Quite the contrary actually.

I think Brian's emotional gamut is very very wide. But I always get the sense that Brian is able to remain in control. His heart belongs to his head. Which I like.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 09:00:30 AM

I think Brian's emotional gamut is very very wide. But I always get the sense that Brian is able to remain in control. His heart belongs to his head. Which I like.

Yes, a wide array emotions inhabit his music.

springrite

cilgwyn

My heart belongs to Daddy! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Mirror Image

I will be revisiting Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 4, & 18 over the course of tonight and tomorrow as I finally have all of my Brian recordings together. They were scattered throughout my collection.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2013, 11:30:36 AM
I will be revisiting Symphonies Nos. 2, 3, 4, & 18 over the course of tonight and tomorrow as I finally have all of my Brian recordings together. They were scattered throughout my collection.

One caveat: the Naxos 2 is one of the less satisfactory performances (final movement comes off best). A better recording is the restored one with Mackerras on Klassic Haus.

http://klassichaus.us/Brian%3A-Symphony-No--2.php

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 22, 2013, 11:42:22 AM

One caveat: the Naxos 2 is one of the less satisfactory performances (final movement comes off best). A better recording is the restored one with Mackerras on Klassic Haus.

http://klassichaus.us/Brian%3A-Symphony-No--2.php
Ditto No.3
http://klassichaus.us/Brian%3A-Symphony-No--3.php

J.Z. Herrenberg

calyptorhynchus

Glad people are coming on board, and appreciation of Brian is growing, but it's a pity there aren't any new recordings in the pipeline for next year (as far as we know).

On another note, it's now almost two years since I discovered this forum and through it the BBC recordings of Brian (before that I only had the published CDs).

Thanks everyone for your erudite and of entertaining comments, thanks to John W for his scepticism :-)

Happy Christmas and New Year!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton