Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Quote from: springrite on January 06, 2014, 03:17:51 AM
Where? ON Amazon I only see ones for over $30
$36.27 + 3.99 (from seller) shipping on Amazon.com! I see what you mean. Poor you! ??? :(  We're lucky here! ;D

My late mother liked Havergal Brian,MI! Maybe you're dad will be posting here soon?!! ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2014, 07:08:33 AM

My late mother liked Havergal Brian,MI! Maybe you're dad will be posting here soon?!! ;D

You never know! 8)

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 06, 2014, 04:37:39 AM
You actually have some Bruckner in your collection,John?!! :o
Yep. 1 complete cycle and numerous ones from other sources. Amazing, I know, but true.

John Whitmore

Quote from: springrite on January 06, 2014, 03:17:51 AM
Where? ON Amazon I only see ones for over $30
In the UK it's £14. No idea about $US prices.

John Whitmore

The old Hager recording of orchestral music from The Tigers is being released by Heritage in February. Thought you would like to know.

Karl Henning

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 06, 2014, 08:11:06 AM
In the UK it's £14. No idea about $US prices.

Well, £14 is about $23 these days.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

John Whitmore

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 08, 2014, 04:40:49 AM
The old Hager recording of orchestral music from The Tigers is being released by Heritage in February. Thought you would like to know.
The Heritage coupling will be John Foulds: Pasquinade Symphonique no. 1

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2014, 01:15:03 AM
The Heritage coupling will be John Foulds: Pasquinade Symphonique no. 1

That was there in the original box, 'Masters of the English Musical Renaissance'. So they gave Parry a miss.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

I would rather get the Heritage recording, if nothing else because I dig the cover! I see Amazon only has the Unicorn one... The price is acceptable. Pondering...

The other CD I would like to add is the Dutton Volume One. I have volume Two.

Again, these are not available at Amazon right now.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 09, 2014, 02:00:55 AM

That was there in the original box, 'Masters of the English Musical Renaissance'. So they gave Parry a miss.
That's a pity! The original Forlane Parry third was one of my most played Lp recordings and I still,marginally,prefer it to the 'boomy' sounding Chandos recording. A lovely work full of beautiful melodies and foot tapping tunes! Having said that,I can see the logic. Brian and Parry,two 20th C mavericks. Parry a famous teacher and academic,in his own day and the composer of some very fine,unduly neglected,music. Very much a man of his particular era! I particularly like the last three symphonies;but the Second ('The Cambridge) described in the Forlane booklet as "correct in it's procedures to a fault" and "suffering from an academic chill which is another definition of dullness" (!) is also very satisfying! The Fifth is quite masterly. Yet,I have a special fondness for No 3 as it was the first one I ever heard!!
Missing out Parry should also mean avoiding that rather annoying break between 'Lacryma' and 'Green Pastures',during Brian's Symphonic Movements from 'The Tigers',where you had to switch between cd1 and cd2. (I made a cdr so I could enjoy them without interruption!)

John Whitmore

Quote from: springrite on January 09, 2014, 04:57:10 AM
I would rather get the Heritage recording, if nothing else because I dig the cover! I see Amazon only has the Unicorn one... The price is acceptable. Pondering...

The other CD I would like to add is the Dutton Volume One. I have volume Two.

Again, these are not available at Amazon right now.
The Unicorn transfer is dry and nasty. Also, it's just symphs 10 and 21. The Heritage is a double Cd.

cilgwyn

And Unicorn was also one of the label affected by the dreaded cd rot (turns bronze colour),wasn't it? It might be okay,of course,but I'm sure that marvellous Measham recording of Barber I played the other day looked a bit on the bronze side. Maybe it was just the light! And please don't let my newly acquired Faberman Gliere set be affected by this!! ??? Pearl was particularly badly affected,judging by some cds in my collection. I am given to understand that while there is no cure once it starts,you can slow the process down a little with acid free sleeves or cases? I loved their approach to historic recordings. I'm really looking forward to Heritage reissues of their catalogue. I read somewhere that they are doing the whole lot!
I hope so. Not that I can afford them all! :(

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2014, 06:27:48 AM
The Unicorn transfer is dry and nasty. Also, it's just symphs 10 and 21. The Heritage is a double Cd.

WHere can I order this, and the Toccata 1 (Psalm, Elegy, English Suites etc.)?

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 09, 2014, 07:01:56 AM
And Unicorn was also one of the label affected by the dreaded cd rot (turns bronze colour),wasn't it? It might be okay,of course,but I'm sure that marvellous Measham recording of Barber I played the other day looked a bit on the bronze side. Maybe it was just the light! And please don't let my newly acquired Faberman Gliere set be affected by this!! ??? Pearl was particularly badly affected,judging by some cds in my collection. I am given to understand that while there is no cure once it starts,you can slow the process down a little with acid free sleeves or cases? I loved their approach to historic recordings. I'm really looking forward to Heritage reissues of their catalogue. I read somewhere that they are doing the whole lot!
I hope so. Not that I can afford them all! :(
I've just copied some of my bronze discs and put them to one side just in case.

John Whitmore

Quote from: springrite on January 09, 2014, 07:03:51 AM
WHere can I order this, and the Toccata 1 (Psalm, Elegy, English Suites etc.)?
The original nasty sounding Unicorn 20/21 will probably be available second hand on Ebay or Amazon. They usually fetch between £20 and £30 which is quite ridiculous. The Heritage double - you can just buy it brand new via your usual suppliers, whoever they may be.

springrite

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2014, 07:57:38 AM
The original nasty sounding Unicorn 20/21 will probably be available second hand on Ebay or Amazon. They usually fetch between £20 and £30 which is quite ridiculous. The Heritage double - you can just buy it brand new via your usual suppliers, whoever they may be.

Well, my "usual" suppliers don't have it. So I am still looking.

As you can see, I don't have that many usual suppliers...

springrite

Ah! See them at Presto!

springrite

Bought both as well as the cello concerto. I am looking forward to them as I am running out of Brian recordings to listen to!

Believe it or not, at intermissions of my trainings (4 days in China and three days coming up in Singapore) I have been playing Brian! I did not notice severe adverse reactions from the attendees. Yesterday it was Symphony #10.

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2014, 07:52:33 AM
I've just copied some of my bronze discs and put them to one side just in case.
Even the most bronzed Pearl cds play so far!  I've made copies and back-ups. Ridiculous,really,though! I can't remember any Lps I bought ever rotting! ::) They obviously had their good points. Interestingly,Dutton,and now Chandos,are issuing Lps again! What next,new video tapes of movies?!! Well you never know?!! You can still buy new Super 8 cine film!!!!

springrite: Presto,they're good!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on January 09, 2014, 08:24:51 AM

Believe it or not, at intermissions of my trainings (4 days in China and three days coming up in Singapore) I have been playing Brian! I did not notice severe adverse reactions from the attendees. Yesterday it was Symphony #10.

'Brian in China' - the opera we're all waiting for.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato