Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

And then of course there's 'Turandot'! ;D

Hope you find a good price 'springrite'!

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 09, 2014, 02:46:31 PM
And then of course there's 'Turandot'! ;D

Hope you find a good price 'springrite'!
The prices are good.
I would certainly get recordings of Brian operas when and if available. I love the orchestral excerpts (Toccata 2).

I played Elegy for the final intermission for the final day of the training (Day 4). Again, no adverse reactions. Should I throw Siegeslied at them in Singapore?  8)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

"Should I throw Siegeslied at them in Singapore?"

With murderous intent?

(Just joking. John Whitmore will take it seriously.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 10, 2014, 07:11:39 AM
"Should I throw Siegeslied at them in Singapore?"

With murderous intent?

(Just joking. John Whitmore will take it seriously.)
They will throw it back with some force. What have the people of Singapore ever done to upset you?

Mozart Dave

It's about time the Proms featured Havergal Brian.  How about a cycle of his Symphonies

cilgwyn

Well,they've done the Gothic;but that's the all too obvious one! Anyway,I think the Sixth,eighth or tenth would make a better impression on the 'unbelievers'!
And how about the Violin Concerto,which has had favourable reviews even from those not normally sympathetic to the Brian cause?!! This would be a fantastic choice for a Prom and reveal another side to Brian which might enhance his reputation.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 11, 2014, 05:02:17 AM
Well,they've done the Gothic;but that's the all too obvious one! Anyway,I think the Sixth,eighth or tenth would make a better impression on the 'unbelievers'!
And how about the Violin Concerto,which has had favourable reviews even from those not normally sympathetic to the Brian cause?!! This would be a fantastic choice for a Prom and reveal another side to Brian which might enhance his reputation.

8,9 or 10 would be terrific.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

The HB thread is a nice,safe feeling refuge from the increasingly heated debate about David Wright at the Art Music Forum!! ??? ::)

No padlocked thread,here! Unless anyone wants an argument?!! ??? ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I saw it. I only contributed a strictly musical comment to the debate...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 21, 2014, 07:25:23 AM
I saw it. I only contributed a strictly musical comment to the debate...
A clever move on your part!
Me? I'm yellow,I'm saying out of it!! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

I ain't chicken myself, but I can put my time to better use...

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

vandermolen

BBC Radio 3 are doing a 'Best of British' feature for 2014, encouraging listeners to phone in with their suggestions of favourite/great music written by British composers. Today (Thursday) at c. 7.40am (British time) someone phoned in to explain their enthusiasm for Havergal Brian - they then played a recording of 'The Tinker's Wedding'. I had forgotten how good the central section is, reminding me of Sibelius and Hovhaness. I hope that Johan was listening.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

No, I wasn't, Jeffrey...  :o Still, good news! Any Brian on the radio is a cause for (modest) celebration.

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 23, 2014, 05:25:40 AM
No, I wasn't, Jeffrey...  :o Still, good news! Any Brian on the radio is a cause for (modest) celebration.

Can you pick it up on BBC iPlayer in darkest Netherlands Johan?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes...  ;D  I'll have a look (and a listen) .

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 23, 2014, 05:34:46 AM
Yes...  ;D

Excellent! I think that you would enjoy the short discussion (the man who phoned in had attended the performance of the Gothic in the 1960s).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Found it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03q5csx

And now the whole thing itself (the man who phoned + the piece). Looking looking...

It's between 1:10:20 and 1:19:40! (Jeffrey was right)

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 23, 2014, 05:38:57 AM
Found it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03q5csx

And now the whole thing itself (the man who phoned + the piece). Looking looking...

It's between 1:10:20 and 1:19:40! (Jeffrey was right)

Delighted you found it Johan.  :)