Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Well, last time I counted I had 1200 volumes of poetry on my shelves*, but Lord Alfred Douglas's Collected Works isn't there.

*(Thoreau once said "I have over 1000 books in my library, many my own works" [ie unsold copies of his publications]. I assure you I have a few boxes of unsold copies of my poetry collections, but those aren't included in the total above.)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on February 24, 2015, 11:15:50 PM
I AM my psychiatrist!

* shudders *

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 24, 2015, 11:16:32 PM
Well, last time I counted I had 1200 volumes of poetry on my shelves*, but Lord Alfred Douglas's Collected Works isn't there.

*(Thoreau once said "I have over 1000 books in my library, many my own works" [ie unsold copies of his publications]. I assure you I have a few boxes of unsold copies of my poetry collections, but those aren't included in the total above.)

An acquaintance of mine (Dutch) wrote a whole biography about Lord Alfred Douglas. He found his poetry underrated. I think history was right in this case...

Glad to see you are a poetry-lover, too!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 24, 2015, 09:58:19 AMMy cup runneth over (or it will when I get hold of the Dutton and this new Naxos).

Does it surpass the unbeatable "Humboldt Redwoods State Park Community Orchestra under the unflappable baton of Armand Aisselle and baritone Hans Dieter Schwungvoll", one wonders. [AKA the 1976 live performance by the New Philharmonia Orchestra under Stanley Pope, with baritone Brian Rayner Cook].
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 24, 2015, 08:29:14 PM
And yes Roderick Williams has a wonderful voice and does his best with the awful words in 5*. As always, though, I keep on wishing there simply wasn't a vocal line and I could enjoy the strange new world of Brian's impressionist phase instrumentally.  ;)

My complaint about the recording, and perhaps the only one, is the forward balance of the voice. I'd prefer a more realistic (i.e., concert hall) perspective. I think the voice is simply too big in relation to the orchestra. It's especially disconcerting at the first entry after that delicate and magical opening. I prefer the Pope/Cook in this respect. Having the voice as a more natural part of the musical texture has the additional advantage of playing down the poetry  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on February 24, 2015, 11:20:38 PM
* shudders *

An acquaintance of mine (Dutch) wrote a whole biography about Lord Alfred Douglas. He found his poetry underrated. I think history was right in this case...

Glad to see you are a poetry-lover, too!

I used to admire Jack Douglas. He made me laugh with that pretend twitch of his.

calyptorhynchus

I just found the details of the new Naxos disk on their website, I note for 28

3.         II. Grazioso e leggiero - 00:03:28
4.         III. Andante espressivo - 00:03:45

Phew!

[Only a complete Brian tragic would understand this].

:)

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573408

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

The second movement is now about right. But the Andante is almost as quick? Intriguing.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

calyptorhynchus

I think when I did that adjusted speed version of Stokowski those were approximately the times I had. Certainly the Andante wasn't much longer than the Grazioso.

J.Z. Herrenberg

You're right. I discovered it later last night...

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 01, 2015, 12:57:44 AM
You're right. I discovered it later last night...
Klassic Haus transfer from Aries LP clocks in at 4:43 and 3:33.

Sean

This is a long thread for a second-rate composer, guys!

Christo

Second-rate comments won't help to make it shorter.  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

And me wholeheartedly seconding that, neither.

Albion

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Read all. Thanks, Albion! I cannot wait to hear it, especially the 'new' 6th and 28th.

cilgwyn

A welsh sculptor and dedicatee? I didn't know that!
Good! :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

New Brian movie - The Welsh Connection.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just discovered this on YouTube: another performance of Symphony No. 27. The UK public premiere in Birmingham,  by an American orchestra...

http://youtu.be/_TMmNHOk89A

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on March 01, 2015, 03:15:01 PM
Just discovered this on YouTube: another performance of Symphony No. 27. The UK public premiere in Birmingham,  by an American orchestra...

http://youtu.be/_TMmNHOk89A
Yes, Johan. I remember this performance. Apparently the Town Hall in Birmingham was virtually empty for this very good kids orchestra. No (or poor) publicity was blamed for the fiasco. Shame.

vandermolen

Have ordered the Naxos Symphony 6 etc. Can't wait!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).