Post your dreams

Started by greg, June 12, 2007, 06:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

2 (of 3 or 4) dreams last night-

1. The Time Travelling Sewer Ship
2. The Mansion of Snakes

1. I'm swimming through some ship, going through, at first, small tubes with sewer water, and then ending up in a big sewer, where i hop through the water and make it safely. It was a portal back in to time. (And i do it twice, except the second time, the water is filled with worms).  :o

2. Sitting outside a $4 million mansion, me and my mom are outside waiting when some lady opens the door. We go inside, and to the left she brings us to a huge garden. I walk ahead but notice there are all types of snakes everywhere, coming from the plants all around. I can't go anywhere, and i'm trapped, so i wake up.

Both of those dreams were only visual, and i can relate everything about them to other visual memories i've had, they're just combined in a strange way.

Quote from: Dm on February 06, 2008, 06:02:54 AM
I dreamt last night that I was in a cafeteria piling my tray with heap after heap of various chocolate cakes / brownies....... and, as it happens, the day before I had been walking past the bakery section of my grocer, eying with envy the delicious chocolate cakes on display ..........
excellent Dm!
i think Freud would be proud of that  ;D
(well, at least he would be if it were repressed lol)

MN Dave

I don't usually remember my dreams unless they're nightmares and I have those infrequently.

paulb

Quote from: MN Dave on February 06, 2008, 06:11:19 AM
I don't usually remember my dreams unless they're nightmares and I have those infrequently.

OK, so you say its really only the dark dreams you seem to recall.
keep us posted on any dream you have....Thanks
towards the end of the day, try to bring your thoughs , contact with people to a  minimum. Calm the mind before sleep, we may hook a  fish. Fish are spooked off easy you know.

greg

dreamed about playing a violin last night..... (i don't need an interpretation for this one, it's already obvious)

the funny thing is, i couldn't figure out which way it goes.... which way to bow it, hold it, etc. Sense of direction can often be pretty distorted in dreams.

A few other dreams, too, but more like distorted memories. Or maybe all dreams could be described simply as "distorted memories?" After all, all composing is distorted memories of sound, and dreams are like a re-composition of life.

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 13, 2008, 05:55:12 AM
dreamed about playing a violin last night..... (i don't need an interpretation for this one, it's already obvious)

the funny thing is, i couldn't figure out which way it goes.... which way to bow it, hold it, etc. Sense of direction can often be pretty distorted in dreams.

A few other dreams, too, but more like distorted memories. Or maybe all dreams could be described simply as "distorted memories?" After all, all composing is distorted memories of sound, and dreams are like a re-composition of life.

something like that, for sure.
You trying to figure out the proper *technique* of the violin.
IOW you are aware that you need more sensation function, but can't figure out the understanding/knowledge of how sensation can be *played into* your life.
On the internet we all can get away with using only our main function. We pop in here, make a  comment, opinion, maybe worse a snide or insult ;D...then we are gone.
Little actual warm human contact. So feeling types like me, will spout out all sorts of nitpicking rants about why i believe my fav composers speak to the 21st C musical mind, moreso than some other big name composers. And then i get into a  haggle with others , in the end the conflict remains with neither side gaining any ground. Just drawing the lines deeper in the ground.
And off we go on our day with no real harm done. Just a  ruffled shirt collor, but no bloody confrontation had we rankled in person.
So you Greg can work fine the way you are on the Inet. But your dreams want you to see your other functions which only work in real live human contact.
see what i am getting at.
Sure computer realtionships can allow us to see our weaknesses and shadow, but the real change comes from intimate contacts.
btw I see what you mean about the Shostakovich 7th, movements 2-4., not as personally engaging as Pettersson's syms.
Keep in mind Shostakovich is writing more from the perspecive of a actual time in history, a  actual russian peasantry that is brutalized by Hitler and Stalin. So Shostakovich tells of the war  and fascist Stalin throgh the sound of his music. He takes you into that horrific emotions of that epoch in his syms.

BachQ

Dreampt that I was playing poker with a sundry lot, including an archbishop .........

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 13, 2008, 06:27:54 AM
something like that, for sure.
You trying to figure out the proper *technique* of the violin.
IOW you are aware that you need more sensation function, but can't figure out the understanding/knowledge of how sensation can be *played into* your life.
On the internet we all can get away with using only our main function. We pop in here, make a  comment, opinion, maybe worse a snide or insult ;D...then we are gone.
Little actual warm human contact. So feeling types like me, will spout out all sorts of nitpicking rants about why i believe my fav composers speak to the 21st C musical mind, moreso than some other big name composers. And then i get into a  haggle with others , in the end the conflict remains with neither side gaining any ground. Just drawing the lines deeper in the ground.
And off we go on our day with no real harm done. Just a  ruffled shirt collor, but no bloody confrontation had we rankled in person.
So you Greg can work fine the way you are on the Inet. But your dreams want you to see your other functions which only work in real live human contact.
see what i am getting at.
Sure computer realtionships can allow us to see our weaknesses and shadow, but the real change comes from intimate contacts.
btw I see what you mean about the Shostakovich 7th, movements 2-4., not as personally engaging as Pettersson's syms.
Keep in mind Shostakovich is writing more from the perspecive of a actual time in history, a  actual russian peasantry that is brutalized by Hitler and Stalin. So Shostakovich tells of the war  and fascist Stalin throgh the sound of his music. He takes you into that horrific emotions of that epoch in his syms.
what do you mean by "function"? Actually, you may have a point which can be related here:

last night, while working, i was seriously thinking about which other hobbies/skills i should consider developing later on, since the big problem i have is that i have way too many interests, and getting good at everything i wish i could be good at is just impossible (there's only so many years in a life, only so much time in a day).

so i came to the conclusion that i should just keep on doing what i'm doing, but to develop it more and try to keep it endlessly exciting and surprising- and what i mean is music. Composing, studying scores and playing guitar....... but also, eventually, maybe even learning other instruments. That would surely keep it exciting and divert my mind from the other things i'd like to do. In my dream, i also had to touch the bow onto some black strip, kinda swiping it. But the interpretation of that part is very obvious, since i'm always swiping gift cards for customers, and they have the black strips- so the overall motion is similar to a violin. Also, this is at least the 3rd time i've dreamed of playing a violin....... the closest i got to ever playing one was at the (awful) little music shop i have around here, except the bow was messed up to where it makes no sound when you bow it.  :P So i was able to play a pizz. version of the first 8 notes of the Berg Violin Concerto, but not much else.

that's the explanation for the violin dream.

Quote from: Dm on February 13, 2008, 06:50:12 AM
Dreampt that I was playing poker with a sundry lot, including an archbishop .........
does the archbishop have something to do with your avatar (or one of your old ones?) Since you just changed it, maybe that could've triggered something?
But of course, only you know if there is a connection there or not.

paulb

Quote from: Dm on February 13, 2008, 06:50:12 AM

great dream, lots there to discuss.
has something to do with you and your concept/attitude towards religion. What i do not know.

Greg, i think you may be onto something.
But remember the violin may havea   dual meaning. practical function = learning the violin, and figurative, = the soul as violin.

Jung discusses several times the dream that Socrates had of a  muse suggesting he should *make more music*,, so Socrates got a  flute and went off to make the most aweful music. Jung says his muse meant that he should think alittle less and develope more along the feeling function.

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 13, 2008, 07:29:45 AM
great dream, lots there to discuss.
has something to do with you and your concept/attitude towards religion. What i do not know.

Greg, i think you may be onto something.
But remember the violin may havea   dual meaning. practical function = learning the violin, and figurative, = the soul as violin.

Jung discusses several times the dream that Socrates had of a  muse suggesting he should *make more music*,, so Socrates got a  flute and went off to make the most aweful music. Jung says his muse meant that he should think alittle less and develope more along the feeling function.

ok, i see what you mean now

BachQ

greg

Quote from: Dm on February 13, 2008, 07:43:21 AM
u lie
well, i understood his function explanation.. the religion part i didn't get

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 13, 2008, 07:50:03 AM
well, i understood his function explanation.. the religion part i didn't get

I think Greg has a  intuition of what i said about his feeling function, as violin.

Now on DM's dream, *the religious function*. Jung uses this term. I think he's refering to Willam James, Varieties Of Religious Experience..
Not that DM has to *believe* that the religious function is something working in man;s psyche.
the fact is this religious function has been a  part of man's life for gawd knows how many centuries..
Though DM may not believe in any religious idea, fact is, some, if not most of his ancestors did.
its in his blood. ;D

greg

does anyone get dreams of spiders/snakes/worms all over the place often?
just last night, i was dreaming of being in my backyard and had to walk to the other side with snakes and worms ALL OVER the place.

paulb

I'm reading Jung right now and he's going into the symbolism of the snake.

Worms i am not sure about.
Snakes in myths usually appear at times of a  change, a  confrontation.
Adam and eve confronts the snake in the garden.
Google snakes and myths, see what you come up with.

backyard, that area of your consciousness you are least in touch with.
Worms may mean the earthiness of your life, things below your consciousness.

...edit...
ahh well now i was just about to read, and the thought occured to me, why does your dream have so many snakes and even lower form such as the worm.

Not one snake, not one worm, but lots.

I was going to ask you if you participated on that *lets havea   free for all flame thread*
I just saw you were the last to respond. even so i knew almost surely you couldn;t resist sucha  topic.
There's your snake and worm symbolism.
you had the GMG board's dream, and specifically the members who also posted.
I kinda knew that topic was *dangerous territory*, asking for trouble. Your dream clearly shows it.

Now do me a favor, go back and count all the times you posted. Please provide me the count.

BachQ

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 16, 2008, 03:45:58 PM
does anyone get dreams of spiders/snakes/worms all over the place often?
just last night, i was dreaming of being in my backyard and had to walk to the other side with snakes and worms ALL OVER the place.

If it contains spiders and/or snakes, it's not a DREAM ........... rather, it's a NIGHTMARE ........

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 16, 2008, 05:18:36 PM
I'm reading Jung right now and he's going into the symbolism of the snake.

Worms i am not sure about.
Snakes in myths usually appear at times of a  change, a  confrontation.
Adam and eve confronts the snake in the garden.
Google snakes and myths, see what you come up with.

backyard, that area of your consciousness you are least in touch with.
Worms may mean the earthiness of your life, things below your consciousness.

...edit...
ahh well now i was just about to read, and the thought occured to me, why does your dream have so many snakes and even lower form such as the worm.

Not one snake, not one worm, but lots.

I was going to ask you if you participated on that *lets havea   free for all flame thread*
I just saw you were the last to respond. even so i knew almost surely you couldn;t resist sucha  topic.
There's your snake and worm symbolism.
you had the GMG board's dream, and specifically the members who also posted.
I kinda knew that topic was *dangerous territory*, asking for trouble. Your dream clearly shows it.

Now do me a favor, go back and count all the times you posted. Please provide me the count.

11x!
I think you might have something there with this one. Because I also dreamed of a couple of the posters here, one of them being Iago (who was sitting at the side of my house, the side i was trying to reach). He had the same persona as this evil cartoon character from this show that i watch online. (there were others, too, but i can't remember who anymore). I guess it just tells me i spend too much time online, lol.

Just last night, again, i dreamed about spiders and bugs...... at least i'im pretty sure i did, again.  Wasn't this one of the more common....... ahem, i got it right now Dm, nightmares?  ;)

prémont

Post your dreams??

No, I would never dream of doing it
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

greg

Quote from: premont on February 17, 2008, 05:04:56 AM
Post your dreams??

No, I would never dream of doing it
why not?

paulb

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on February 17, 2008, 02:25:11 AM
11x!
I think you might have something there with this one. Because I also dreamed of a couple of the posters here, one of them being Iago (who was sitting at the side of my house, the side i was trying to reach). He had the same persona as this evil cartoon character from this show that i watch online. (there were others, too, but i can't remember who anymore).

And then you say that some GMG members were actually in that dream. and you posted ELEVEN TIMES on that *lets havea  flame party* topic.
I think i nailed that one.
I had a  good hunch your dream and the fact that you participated on that topic were connected.

but as i said in another topic today, I'm will not be around here much.
read my post on Harry's topic, 'does music help us in our emotional life".
The flip side to that is, 'can music affect us in ways we are not aware, negatively, holds us back"
If i listened to Beethoven and many others besides, that would bea   regression for me. I would be agiated in spirits and my dreams would reveal that i should refrain from listening to Beethoven.
IOW dreams tell us the truth about who we really are. dreams do not lie, we lie to ourselves.

paul

I can't post as often, as i need to concentrate my psychic energy in building up a  defence against the theives who want my possessions.  So i am not ina  good mood about how the police sit back and get fat ona  special tax lakeview pays for "PROTECTION", and just let the burglars hit at will.

greg

Quote from: paulb on February 17, 2008, 06:35:12 PM

IOW dreams tell us the truth about who we really are. dreams do not lie, we lie to ourselves.

Perfectly written.

Quote from: paulb on February 17, 2008, 06:35:12 PM
I can't post as often, as i need to concentrate my psychic energy in building up a  defence against the theives who want my possessions.  So i am not ina  good mood about how the police sit back and get fat ona  special tax lakeview pays for "PROTECTION", and just let the burglars hit at will.

Just take some shotguns and shoot 'em up!  >:D