Author Topic: Scandinavian and Finnish composers.  (Read 142109 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Scandinavian and Finnish composers.
« Reply #680 on: October 28, 2017, 04:50:31 AM »
Tveitt and Langgaard have their own threads if you want to have a look. 8)

Thanks, I am new to the forum and so far only found this thread that is relevant to those composers.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #681 on: November 03, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »
Yesterday I came across a composer whose music I had never heard. Selim Palmgren (born 1878 Pori, Finland, died Helsinki 1951). He also taught at the famous Eastman School in the USA in the 1920s. I sampled the opening of his
Piano Concerto No.2 'The River' and thought it was excellent - haunting and beautiful. Any other views on Palmgren?

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Selim-Palmgren

Here's the opening of PC No.2 'The River':

https://youtu.be/oOq6vTWYbDU

Just listened to this - a wonderfully atmospheric and inspiriting score. The spirit of Rachmaninoff hovers over some passages, which appeals to me greatly. I especially love the opening with its mysterious drum rolls. Thanks for the recommendation, Jeffrey! :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #682 on: November 03, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »
Just listened to this - a wonderfully atmospheric and inspiriting score. The spirit of Rachmaninoff hovers over some passages, which appeals to me greatly. I especially love the opening with its mysterious drum rolls. Thanks for the recommendation, Jeffrey! :)
Am delighted that you discovered it too Kyle  :).
I like the whole CD including the chamber works at the end and Piano Concerto No.1. You are right about the Rachmaninov connection.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #683 on: August 01, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »

Earlier I gave to these symphonies a revisit. My last memories told me that these works weren't appealing enough, and how wrong I was! I'm so glad to having changed my mind. The 1st Symphony is majestic and with certain struggle, mostly in the 1st movement. The 2nd movement is so inspired, it has an ethereal appeal to it. The 3rd movement is the culmination of greatness, a blaze of intense light. The ending is mightily uplifting and glorious.

The 2nd Symphony is a bit less good, but even so it doesn't disappoint at all. Inspired by the Greek mythology, it's much more succesful than other works with similar inspiration. And those ancient evocations are fairly felt. All in all, two of those fruitful rediscoveries.

There are two additional symphonies that haven't seen the light of day. Hopefully cpo or another advocate recording label will bring them to us in the near future.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #684 on: August 01, 2019, 11:34:05 AM »

Earlier I gave to these symphonies a revisit. My last memories told me that these works weren't appealing enough, and how wrong I was! I'm so glad to having changed my mind. The 1st Symphony is majestic and with certain struggle, mostly in the 1st movement. The 2nd movement is so inspired, it has an ethereal appeal to it. The 3rd movement is the culmination of greatness, a blaze of intense light. The ending is mightily uplifting and glorious.

The 2nd Symphony is a bit less good, but even so it doesn't disappoint at all. Inspired by the Greek mythology, it's much more succesful than other works with similar inspiration. And those ancient evocations are fairly felt. All in all, two of those fruitful rediscoveries.

There are two additional symphonies that haven't seen the light of day. Hopefully cpo or another advocate recording label will bring them to us in the near future.
I love that disc Cesar, especially the beautiful and moving central movement of 'Hellas' Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

« Reply #685 on: August 01, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
I love that disc Cesar, especially the beautiful and moving central movement of 'Hellas' Symphony.

Me too! I enjoyed it a lot, very worth hearing.

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #686 on: March 17, 2020, 02:42:30 PM »

Hakon Borresen's Symphony No. 1 in C minor, whilst not a masterpiece, possesses substance enough to rate it very high. A work of evident profoundity whose themes and development satisfy with no problem, at least for me. The last movement Adagio lamentabile is magnificent. A very welcome rediscovery.

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #687 on: March 17, 2020, 04:35:08 PM »
Gentle and well orchestrated works

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #688 on: March 17, 2020, 05:22:37 PM »

Hakon Borresen's Symphony No. 1 in C minor, whilst not a masterpiece, possesses substance enough to rate it very high. A work of evident profoundity whose themes and development satisfy with no problem, at least for me. The last movement Adagio lamentabile is magnificent. A very welcome rediscovery.

Interesting, thanks, Cesar.  :)

I have 2 Dacapo discs of his music, including symphonies 2 and 3. Very interesting, esp. his Sea Symphony. I’ll keep an eye on this CPO release.

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

I have 2 Dacapo discs of his music, including symphonies 2 and 3. Very interesting, esp. his Sea Symphony. I’ll keep an eye on this CPO release.

Symphony No. 2 was playing here but on the CPO recording. I had overlooked this energetic work, with strong themes and vivacity. Quite good. Sadly, memorability in the Symphony No. 3 is missing. A step backwards, maybe. A nice piece, though.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #690 on: March 20, 2020, 10:56:23 AM »

Sometimes, indeed oftentimes, posts like these make me walk to my cd wall and put one on top of my pile. This one is right up there now, will duly oblige.  :D

+ one more.  8)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #691 on: March 21, 2020, 01:20:37 PM »
Sometimes, indeed oftentimes, posts like these make me walk to my cd wall and put one on top of my pile. This one is right up there now, will duly oblige.  :D

+ one more.  8)

8)

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers
« Reply #692 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:36:46 PM by Roy Bland »

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #693 on: March 31, 2020, 04:04:09 PM »
That looks like an interesting release. Thanks for posting it.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #694 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:00 AM »
That looks like an interesting release. Thanks for posting it.
+1 I have a CD of his music somewhere.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #695 on: April 01, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »

Hey Roy - you need to learn to reduce the SIZE of your images - an easy task by inserting 'height' or 'width' in the leading [img ] brackets - quote this post to see that your image above now shows [img height=300], my addition - Dave

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #696 on: April 02, 2020, 12:35:36 AM »

Own both symphonies in their former BIS and Simax releases, love them verily, will certainly buy this new release ASAP.  :)
… music is not only an 'entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #697 on: April 02, 2020, 12:44:20 AM »
Own both symphonies in their former BIS and Simax releases, love them verily, will certainly buy this new release ASAP.  :)
+1

Offline pjme

« Reply #698 on: April 02, 2020, 01:32:00 AM »
Lovely works indeed.

And i love Hjalarljod!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cFRVBQhhpS4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cFRVBQhhpS4</a>