Compulsive Disassociative CD Collecting Disease (CDCDCD)

Started by snyprrr, December 17, 2009, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Quote from: Ken B on March 26, 2014, 11:07:19 AM
Purring fish? FISH?
I never took zoology, but that just doesn't seem right somehow.

In the Verdi moonlight...
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

mn dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 23, 2014, 06:47:28 PM
Otello. 
I was fortunate enough in my youth to see a Met production with Milnes as Iago--don't recall at the moment who sang Otello and Desdemona.  It was the Zefferelli production.  Really, it was as perfect a performance as an opera could be.

I saw the Zefferelli/Met production in Cleveland in 1972. Yes, Milnes was Iago. James McCracken, Otello, Teresa Zylis-Gara, Desdemona. Molinari-Pradelli conducted. But you must've seen it years later...or are you older than I think you are?  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2014, 05:43:04 AM
I saw the Zefferelli/Met production in Cleveland in 1972. Yes, Milnes was Iago. James McCracken, Otello, Teresa Zylis-Gara, Desdemona. Molinari-Pradelli conducted. But you must've seen it years later...or are you older than I think you are?  ;)

Sarge

I saw it approximately 5 or 6 years after you.  IIRC, McCracken was scheduled to sing, but backed out pleading unidentified illness.  No one was that surprised, since in Atlanta at least he was seen as a confirmed sufferer of "Don't want to sing in the little cities" syndrome.   I don't remember who subbed for him.

A year or so later, Pavarotti was scheduled to sing in La Favorita,  but cancelled at the last moment, and was replaced by James Alexander.  There was considerable booing at the announcement, since about the only reason to see the production was him.  Alexander didn't do a bad job, but the direction and acting was horrible.  The soprano was about six foot tall (or at least, taller and broader than Alexander) and could have played football, and considered her acting duties to consist of standing as far downstage as possible, face forward, and sing.  The sets were rather cheap, too.  In fact,  a number of productions I saw seemed to have cheap production values--Trovatore,  Lohengrin, Tannhauser, Bartered Bride spring to mind as productions which seemed to have been borrowed from a college theater group. Tosca was another example, made worse by the fact that the Met chose to tour it twice in the four years I was in Atlanta.  The magnificent productions like Otello and Magic Flute (at that time, the Met was still using the Chagall production) showed up often enough to balance it out. 

ETA: I've just turned fifty five.  The four years I was in Atlanta were my college years (Emory), Fall 1976 to Spring 1980.

snyprrr

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

snyprrr

btw- just my duty to report a flare-up. Since I made the commitment to buy Buy BUY!!, I have -

1) 1cd = $27

2)

No, wait,... I can't do this :-[ :(

it's more than I want to know,... I'll embarrass myself. :-[ :-[

Well, I got Lutoslawski for under $20 (for 5 cds no less- see what a pro I am, chortle?!?!!)

Malipiero set me back about $43 for 4 cds- though, I DID bargain the Ebay guy down a little, haha, for extra credit points.

I did NOT purchase any of the expensive OOPs that keep letting me know my plumbing's working, so, so far I haven't really bled hard.

Still, spending $100 on cds - and then having it rubbed in my face - I must admit, it makes be feel like punk. What kind of sissy boy spends money on cds???? Someone who ACTS like they have a trust fund, which I don't think I do, but wtf???? I want to spend $1000s on cds- wait, not WANT- CAN- can come up with that much-

well, maybe I could get away with under $1000...

But you see how dangerous the things that lurk in a CDCDCDers mind, eh? See how you justify the most outrageous schemes to yoursdelf? Now, John, go buy that set,... yes, the WHOLE set. NOW!!- GO!!

Mookalafalas

Snyprr, good look with that.  Hope you can tame this flare up.

I bought the Decca Analogue box on Saturday. I have always planned on getting it, but put it off.  The good news for me at this point is that there are no boxes tempting me at all.  A big part of my CDCDCD is, paradoxically, my thriftiness.  When top CDs can be bought (in bulk) for $2.30 or so instead of $15, the deal is too good to pass up.  But now I have all the main conductors and genres really well covered, and I have all the good boxes already.  I look forward to the next awesome bargain, but it will have to be pretty mouth-wateringly good, cuz I'm feeling very satisfied :) (and still have a pretty big credit card bill :'(). 
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 06, 2014, 06:54:55 PM
Snyprr, good look with that.  Hope you can tame this flare up.

I bought the Decca Analogue box on Saturday. I have always planned on getting it, but put it off.  The good news for me at this point is that there are no boxes tempting me at all.  A big part of my CDCDCD is, paradoxically, my thriftiness.  When top CDs can be bought (in bulk) for $2.30 or so instead of $15, the deal is too good to pass up.  But now I have all the main conductors and genres really well covered, and I have all the good boxes already.  I look forward to the next awesome bargain, but it will have to be pretty mouth-wateringly good, cuz I'm feeling very satisfied :) (and still have a pretty big credit card bill :'().
Mine has flared up but receded. I am not after too many big boxes except the forthcoming L'Oiseau Lyre one. But I no longer am even tempted by pricy single discs.

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 06, 2014, 06:54:55 PM
But now I have all the main conductors and genres really well covered, and I have all the good boxes already. 
Like Alexander, who wept when there was nothing left conquer.  :)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on April 06, 2014, 08:24:51 PM

No! Like Adam in the garden.  Now I can wander and explore and meet and name all the beasts and sample all the fruits, etc.

And it is good ;)
It's all good...

North Star

Quote from: Baklavaboy on April 06, 2014, 10:10:31 PM
No! Like Adam in the garden.  Now I can wander and explore and meet and name all the beasts and sample all the fruits, etc.

And it is good ;)
Don't touch the fruits of Stockhausen, though  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Moonfish

And it is good ;)

Until you listen to modern compositions on an Apple. Then you will be thrown out.....    >:D >:D
Anna Lappé

Mookalafalas

Northstar, pretty good :), but Moofish gets the :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Quote from: Moonfish on April 06, 2014, 10:14:07 PM
Until you listen to modern compositions on an Apple. Then you will be thrown out.....    >:D >:D
It's all good...

snyprrr

And it is good ;)

iS iT cOMEDY?...

Quote from: Ken B on April 06, 2014, 08:24:51 PM

oR tRAGEDY?

DavidW

snyprrr

Quote from: The new erato on April 07, 2014, 11:16:06 AM
It's a capital tragedy.

Well, I really did it today. It's amazing how this goes. I just made the most ninja move, and I believe i can satisfy a whole bunch of different strains of CDCDCD with these purchases. Let's see: 2 + 2... that's today, one Naxosm one import pulled from the coals, and two fairly good deals on another notoriously expensive import label. Seeing just fours cds there makes me gulp a little,... but let me continue.

Yesterday- 5 for under $20... that makes 8.... mm... per disc is... mm... the cheaper things bring down the cost of the others, but.. it's still painful man!!

IF ANYONE KNEW

Iif anyone knew

if...

I think this does it for me. I was able to ACHIEVE the GOAL (ish... sort of, somewhat :laugh:-) and now an entire REGION of INTEREST has been VANQUISHED- THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! Let's just say that Italy bit the dust today!- but it took a few rounds before goin' down- tough beast!!

Now, as long as I don't become interested in Modern Japanese Composers all should be well! Or Finland...

Kate

Quote from: Ken B on April 06, 2014, 07:00:12 PM
Mine has flared up but receded. I am not after too many big boxes except the forthcoming L'Oiseau Lyre one. But I no longer am even tempted by pricy single discs.

I've been on such a torrid spree with the BB's that I'm surprised Bank of America's stock hasn't jumped perceptibly with my credit card payments over the last few months...thankfully, the process has a certain entropy that's brought the destruction to a halt.  Sniper, I should like to some critical review of the Decca box, it's one I've had to neglect while swallowing the Toscanini/RCA, Walter Edition, Masterworks Heritage, Furtwangler Legacy, and - most recently - Philips Original Jacket boxes whole!

Warning:  Just when I feel exorcised of my consumptive demons, Amazon kindly notifies me that Sony is not only releasing Living Sound II, but concurrently reissuing I at delectable price (about half what the secondary market has been charging)....{{{{sigh}}}}/katie