Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

I happen to like all the symphonies, maybe the 14th being an only exception. And I reaffirmed my love for the 12th when I heard it live twice.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Maybe OT and of limited interest, but this has an anecdote about DSCH playing an offhand chess game against a World Champion, and some good period photos:

https://www.chess.com/blog/RoaringPawn/shostakovich-an-unexpected-sparring-partner-of-guess-who

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 23, 2020, 05:23:12 PM
I happen to like all the symphonies, maybe the 14th being an only exception. And I reaffirmed my love for the 12th when I heard it live twice.

I'm also not really a fan of the 14th. I can say the same for the 12th, but it's better than the 2nd and 3rd symphonies. :)

Herman

I am a fan of 14 (and 15).

vandermolen

One that I really like is No.12 'The Year 1917' which is supposed to be the worst one. The only one that I don't know at all is No.14. 13, which was lost on me at one time, is now one of my favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: T. D. on July 23, 2020, 05:35:38 PM
Maybe OT and of limited interest, but this has an anecdote about DSCH playing an offhand chess game against a World Champion, and some good period photos:

https://www.chess.com/blog/RoaringPawn/shostakovich-an-unexpected-sparring-partner-of-guess-who

Interesting! He also played a children's card game with Rostropovich, Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2020, 11:26:01 PM
One that I really like is No.12 'The Year 1917' which is supposed to be the worst one. The only one that I don't know at all is No.14. 13, which was lost on me at one time, is now one of my favourites.

+1 for No.12!

amw

No. 14 is my favourite of the symphonies by some distance. 12 is fine, makes a strong impression live as well. I know I've heard 3 before but I do not remember anything about it, will have to listen again someday.

Madiel

Quote from: relm1 on July 23, 2020, 05:16:56 PM
What would you think if I said I really like his Symphony No. 3?  Are we misjudging 2 and 3?

I find 3 at least interesting (in the Petrenko cycle, and Petrenko is noted for holding structures together well).

I'm more devastated at people not liking, or not knowing, no.14.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

3 and especially 2 are both good, but weird. I don't have much love for 12, 13, 14 or 15. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for all that. It's still a work in progress for me, the Shostakovich symphonies.

Herman

No flak here.

Last time I checked, it's a free world.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on July 24, 2020, 02:43:51 AM
I find 3 at least interesting (in the Petrenko cycle, and Petrenko is noted for holding structures together well).

I'm more devastated at people not liking, or not knowing, no.14.

I know. A big fan of 14, I am.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on July 24, 2020, 02:43:51 AMI'm more devastated at people not liking, or not knowing, no.14.

Why?

Mahlerian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 24, 2020, 06:31:40 AM
I know. A big fan of 14, I am.

Same here. I think it's one of his most original works, and very moving.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

vandermolen

I need to get to know No.14

techniquest

I also need to get to know no.14. I love the 13th (possibly my favourite of his symphonies - the Barshai recording is magnificent), and also the 15th both of which some find rather tricky. I hear some music in the 3rd that leads us to what will be heard in the 4th, which makes that work rather interesting - more so than the rather bland 2nd.
I find myself enjoying the central movements of both 7 & 8 more than the outer movements.

relm1

Today, I might have had an epiphany.  I'm a life long fan of DS but I might have just realized his greatest music was not the symphonies but the chamber music.  This album is so gorgeous and wonderful!  It made me realize, wow, what a great composer!  Also the obvious Germanic lineage to which he has such a deep depth.  But I hear it as orchestral music.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on August 10, 2020, 05:00:24 PM
Today, I might have had an epiphany.  I'm a life long fan of DS but I might have just realized his greatest music was not the symphonies but the chamber music.  This album is so gorgeous and wonderful!  It made me realize, wow, what a great composer!  Also the obvious Germanic lineage to which he has such a deep depth.  But I hear it as orchestral music.

Great music!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Herman

[depth = debt]

I have never really gotten into op 87.

Love the string quartets, though, particularly the later ones.

Irons

Quote from: Herman on August 10, 2020, 10:12:07 PM
[depth = debt]

I have never really gotten into op 87.

Love the string quartets, though, particularly the later ones.

Overall I think the string quartets are his best music. I have a particular fondness for the mellow, easy-going 6th. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.