Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on November 16, 2010, 10:57:47 AM
End of the 10th, that's the part where the DSCH theme gets hammered out by the timpani while the rest of the orchestra makes an uproarious commotion.   You had to wait for the Petrenko recording to decide that passage is up-beat?  What have you been listening to, for god' sake.  Is there a Klemperer recording of Shostakovich 10 that I don't know about.   ;D

Hah! If I give the impression that I never knew it was a happy ending before, I will indeed change it, because my reaction was definitely more subtle than that (one knows it's a happy ending from the first time one listens, unless one is Volkov perhaps...).

On the other hand, Jens, my tail is wagging. I wouldn't put it in those words, because I don't have any anatomical irregularities of that scope, but this does come at the end of a review the theme of which is essentially, "Why the heck did I love this CD so much?" Luckily I have a couple of answers that aren't wishy-washy purple prose. A couple. Sleep usually cures my most egregious flights of verbal fancy, so over my self-imposed week of editing time I'll be in a position to delete the stuff that's embarrassing and leave only that which I know I can defend. ;)

My most praise-y reviews take the longest to submit for that reason. I want to be sure that reasons for my enthusiasm, hard and fast and well-communicated reasons, are very plain to the reader. Thus my 2010 "CD of the year" pick received a wait of 4 months and a week between first listen and review submission, and my '09 CD of the year had to wait a few days shy of 5 months. Unfortunately, that review fell through the MusicWeb cracks; maybe they were intimidated by the admittedly excessive length.

EDIT: Completely reversed my response to jlaurson

not edward

Quote from: James on November 16, 2010, 06:47:40 PM

This is probably one of the glaring holes in my CD collection. Yet it's a disc I don't see mentioned often--opinions on it?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

Well, the first vn cto is really the Opus 77, of course ; )

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: edward on November 17, 2010, 05:37:06 AM
This is probably one of the glaring holes in my CD collection. Yet it's a disc I don't see mentioned often--opinions on it?

I have that disk and enjoy it both as a testament to the music and as an historical document. The playing is first rate, and the sense of occasion is there in both concerts. If it ain't a million dollars (in a manner of saying), then it's worth the investment.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2010, 07:39:38 AM
I have that disk and enjoy it both as a testament to the music and as an historical document. The playing is first rate, and the sense of occasion is there in both concerts. If it ain't a million dollars (in a manner of saying), then it's worth the investment.  :)

I am so pleased to have my expectations affirmed, Gurn.

George

Quote from: edward on November 17, 2010, 05:37:06 AM

One of the crown jewels of my collection.

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 17, 2010, 07:39:38 AM

8)

Incidentally, the very last piece in the 10-CD Kondrashin 'spectacles' box is the Vn Cto № 2, again played by the violinist for whom it was written: Oistrakh. Recorded in 1967.

jlaurson

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 18, 2010, 05:02:37 AM
Incidentally, the very last piece in the 10-CD Kondrashin 'spectacles' box is the Vn Cto № 2, again played by the violinist for whom it was written: Oistrakh. Recorded in 1967.

Hey... say, do you know if this is in the Koran edition on aulos as well?

karlhenning

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 18, 2010, 05:52:51 AM
Hey... say, do you know if this is in the Koran edition on aulos as well?

No, it doesn't. It's a 10-CD set... spectacles is 11. (BTW, Koran edition?)
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on November 18, 2010, 07:33:12 AM
No, it doesn't. It's a 10-CD set... spectacles is 11. (BTW, Koran edition?)

Sorry. The Islamists got to me. I meant Korean, of course.

Scarpia

Been listening to Shostakovich's viola sonata again recently.  The first two movements are amazing.  The first expecially, has the most astonishing development of a few melodic cells, and such a sustained mood of bemused irony, a gem.  I've never been able to get through the third, final movement without my attention drifting off.   There's the paraphrase of the Moonlight sonata, and I find myself thinking about whether the car needs an oil change.   :(

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Opus106 on November 18, 2010, 07:33:12 AMNo, it doesn't. It's a 10-CD set... spectacles is 11. (BTW, Koran edition?)
CD11 is South Koran then.

bhodges

Just saw this fascinating bit of news from Musical America:

"Orango, a long lost opera by Shostakovich, is scheduled to have its world premiere, in concert, in December 2011 by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The reconstructed prologue, about 40 minutes long, concerns a half-man, half-ape and is said to be "blisteringly satirical," according to the Los Angeles Times. Peter Sellars will direct the work, which has been reconstructed and orchestrated from the composer's piano sketches by British composer Gerard McBurney at the request of the Russian composer's widow. The opera dates to 1932 and was written with librettists Alexei Tolstoy and Alexander Starchakov, apparently in the midst of the composer's work on Lady MacBeth of the Mtsensk District."

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: bhodges on November 19, 2010, 10:11:28 AM
Just saw this fascinating bit of news from Musical America:

"Orango, a long lost opera by Shostakovich, is scheduled to have its world premiere, in concert, in December 2011 by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. The reconstructed prologue, about 40 minutes long, concerns a half-man, half-ape and is said to be "blisteringly satirical," according to the Los Angeles Times. Peter Sellars will direct the work, which has been reconstructed and orchestrated from the composer's piano sketches by British composer Gerard McBurney at the request of the Russian composer's widow. The opera dates to 1932 and was written with librettists Alexei Tolstoy and Alexander Starchakov, apparently in the midst of the composer's work on Lady MacBeth of the Mtsensk District."

--Bruce

Very interesting, thanks for letting us know Bruce!

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on June 07, 2009, 09:38:33 PM
Can anyone wax poetic over any really really special recordings of SQ No.15?

I'm listening to Fitzwilliam now, and I'm not really taken: sounds kind of unsure (which is understandable). I've had "most" of the SQ sets out there (of the old guard), but I sold the Emerson last year (the last to go) to start fresh. So now I have zero Shosty SQs, and I really just want the most monumental No.15 I can find (I hope it's not the Emerson, otherwise I probably should have kept it!: they WERE pretty good, actually).

I remember the Brodsky disc, "End Games", with DSCH 15 and LvB 16, an interesting concept, but I don't remember the performance. One that I haven't heard is the Sony disc with Yo-Yo Ma (w/ Gubaidulina "Rejoice"). Perhaps that's a good one? Are there any other "mix" cds with only No.15?

I also seem to recall enjoying the Shostakovich Qrt./Olympia in the late SQs.

I got the Ma/Kremer/Kashkashian SQ 15 (Sony), with the Gubaidulina. I have nothing to compare with, but it's ok. I don't know how special it is. I thought the...eh, what's the use? ::) ;D

The new erato

Quote from: Scarpia on November 18, 2010, 11:07:59 AM
Been listening to Shostakovich's viola sonata again recently.  The first two movements are amazing.  The first expecially, has the most astonishing development of a few melodic cells, and such a sustained mood of bemused irony, a gem.  I've never been able to get through the third, final movement without my attention drifting off.   There's the paraphrase of the Moonlight sonata, and I find myself thinking about whether the car needs an oil change.   :(
Then I suggest you change the oil and listen again. ;D

vandermolen

The film music for Michurin has been a great new discovery for me - a noble, somewhat uncharacteristic piece.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Opus106

Which recording, in your opinion, contains the wildest, all-Hell-breaking-loose ending of the 11th symphony? (Thanks in advance.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Symphony No. 11, first Adagio: Did you recognize the references to/quote of Sibelius' "In Memoriam"? "In Memoriam" is a very recommendable funeral march, Sibelius' only one to my knowledge. The linked Sibelius Youtube clip is the non revised version, which is imho not as good as the revised one.

Compare:
Sibelius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwfhc92nISU#t=55s
Shosta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INE4_7wbfV4#t=188s

Quote from: Opus106 on November 23, 2010, 07:06:26 AMWhich recording, in your opinion, contains the wildest, all-Hell-breaking-loose ending of the 11th symphony? (Thanks in advance.)
Not much experience with #11, sorry. My choice is Haitink/RCO, I prefer it over Janssons (from the cycle). Least I can say about Haitink: both wild scenes (endings of mvmt2 and 4) are a very powerful experience.