Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulR

Not that I need another DVD/Recording of Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, but has anyone listened to Conlon's DVD production with the Fiorentino Maggio Musicale Chorus and Orchestra  or Metzamacher's CD with the Vienna State Opera?

Brahmsian

Quote from: PaulR on November 17, 2013, 06:39:32 AM
Not that I need another DVD/Recording of Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, but has anyone listened to Conlon's DVD production with the Fiorentino Maggio Musicale Chorus and Orchestra  or Metzamacher's CD with the Vienna State Opera?

No, I haven't.  I love this performance and production!

[asin]B000JJRACI[/asin]

Edit:  Didn't realize you had posted this in the WAYLT thread.  :D

PaulR

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 17, 2013, 08:40:18 AM
No, I haven't.  I love this performance and production!

[asin]B000JJRACI[/asin]

Edit:  Didn't realize you had posted this in the WAYLT thread.  :D
I have that one and the one from Barcelona. 

Brahmsian

Now listening to:

Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 54

[asin]B005KNOE3G[/asin]

Brahmsian

For DBM, my first listen to these three works (ok, only the suite from 'The Bolt' is ballet), but dance music, nevertheless.

My impressions were 5 stars out of 5 for all 3 of these works.  The one I enjoyed the most was 'The Gadfly' suite.  Incredible!!!  I wasn't expecting such dramatic content in Gadfly, compared to some of Shostakovich's 'lighter' dance music.  Great stuff, will revisit this often indeed!  :)   *Cross post from the 'Favourite Ballets' thread.  My esteem for Shostakovich just continues to soar and soar higher.  :)

Shostakovich

Moscow-Cheryomushki - Suite from the operetta, Op. 105
The Bolt - Suite from the ballet, Op. 27a (1934 version)
The Gadfly - Excerpts from the film music, Op. 97 (original orchestration)

Chailly
The Philadelphia Orchestra
Decca

[asin]B0000042F8[/asin]

Brahmsian

Enjoying Christmas morning with probably my favourite 'discovery' of 2013

Shostakovich

The Golden Age Ballet, Op. 22

Serebrier
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Naxos

[asin]B000IY068O[/asin]

*And as John (MI) has mentioned, the Dance of the Diva Adagio in Scene 2 of Act I is so incredibly gorgeous!  :)  The music and orchestration in this fantastic work is as top notch as any Shostakovich symphony, IMHO.  Each listen continues to cement my opinion on that.  It is only my opinion.  ;D

Karl Henning

Tee-hee! Joyeux Noël, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 25, 2013, 08:03:54 AM
Enjoying Christmas morning with probably my favourite 'discovery' of 2013

Shostakovich

The Golden Age Ballet, Op. 22

Serebrier
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Naxos

[asin]B000IY068O[/asin]

*And as John (MI) has mentioned, the Dance of the Diva Adagio in Scene 2 of Act I is so incredibly gorgeous!  :)  The music and orchestration in this fantastic work is as top notch as any Shostakovich symphony, IMHO.  Each listen continues to cement my opinion on that.  It is only my opinion.  ;D

Haha! I knew you would love this ballet once you sunk your teeth into it, Ray. Carry on! BTW, yes, that Dance of the Diva movement is hauntingly beautiful. It's almost as if you can hear the despair Shostakovich must have been feeling around that time. Such sadness.

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2013, 08:33:35 AM
Haha! I knew you would love this ballet once you sunk your teeth into it, Ray. Carry on! BTW, yes, that Dance of the Diva movement is hauntingly beautiful. It's almost as if you can hear the despair Shostakovich must have been feeling around that time. Such sadness.

So many great moments (really, the whole ballet is great).  It is like an all-inclusive vacation into Shostakovich's sound world, which we all know is quite vast, and varied!  :)

Some outstanding movements, outside of the beautiful 'Dance of the Diva Adagio', for me include:

A Rare Case of Mass Hysteria - very dramatic!!

The Supposed Terrorist (The Hand of Moscow) - brilliant use of the flexaphone and trumpet

Polka:  Once upon a Time in Geneva - 'Angel of Peace' - Great number, love the use of the xylophone here.

The Touching Coalition of the Classes, slightly fraudelent - humourous, sardonic!  Again, the flexaphone makes an appearance, and that hilarious, mocking, trumpet call.

Final Dance of Solidarity - what a fantastic finale.  Great coda

kishnevi

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 25, 2013, 11:25:26 AM
So many great moments (really, the whole ballet is great).  It is like an all-inclusive vacation into Shostakovich's sound world, which we all know is quite vast, and varied!  :)

Some outstanding movements, outside of the beautiful 'Dance of the Diva Adagio', for me include:

The Supposed Terrorist (The Hand of Moscow) - brilliant use of the flexaphone and trumpet

Polka:  Once upon a Time in Geneva - 'Angel of Peace' - Great number, love the use of the xylophone here.

The Touching Coalition of the Classes, slightly fraudelent - humourous, sardonic!  Again, the flexaphone makes an appearance, and that hilarious, mocking, trumpet call.

One of the things I enjoy with that ballet is the imaginative, and sometimes rather mocking,  titles given to the various episodes

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 25, 2013, 11:28:46 AM
One of the things I enjoy with that ballet is the imaginative, and sometimes rather mocking,  titles given to the various episodes

Indeed, Jeffrey.  They are quite amusing, imaginative titles!  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 25, 2013, 11:25:26 AM

Yep, it's a ballet loaded with gems. No doubt.

Mirror Image

It didn't take long for ol' Dmitri to sink his teeth into me (he is my favorite composer after all), but since this is 'Ballet Month,' I figured I would listen to one of the least heard Shosty ballets: The Limpid Stream.

While this ballet is not on the same level as The Golden Age or even The Bolt, it does have some excellent parts and is more than worth hearing.

(Are you reading this Ray?) ;) :D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2013, 04:57:30 PM
It didn't take long for ol' Dmitri to sink his teeth into me (he is my favorite composer after all), but since this is 'Ballet Month,' I figured I would listen to one of the least heard Shosty ballets: The Limpid Stream.

While this ballet is not on the same level as The Golden Age or even The Bolt, it does have some excellent parts and is more than worth hearing.

(Are you reading this Ray?) ;) :D

Indeed I am, John.  I will definitely and eventually get both complete ballets for The Bolt and The Limpid Stream.  More than 1/2 of the numbers in the 4 Ballet Suites features music from The Limpid Stream, and I enjoy those immensely.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 04:55:30 AM
Indeed I am, John.  I will definitely and eventually get both complete ballets for The Bolt and The Limpid Stream.  More than 1/2 of the numbers in the 4 Ballet Suites features music from The Limpid Stream, and I enjoy those immensely.

One thing is for sure, the craftsmanship in Shostakovich is always apparent from start to finish. The Limpid Stream is certainly well thought-out and constructed. It's just not one of his more immediate successes to my ears, but, as I stated before, it's more than worth hearing and I think you, or any Shostakovich fan for that matter, would find something enjoyable within the work.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2013, 05:31:13 AM
One thing is for sure, the craftsmanship in Shostakovich is always apparent from start to finish. The Limpid Stream is certainly well thought-out and constructed. It's just not one of his more immediate successes to my ears, but, as I stated before, it's more than worth hearing and I think you, or any Shostakovich fan for that matter, would find something enjoyable within the work.

I have no doubt about it, John.  You know, Shostakovich is one of my equally favourite composers, alongside Beethoven and Brahms.  This is quite a testament to Shostakovich's music, as I have only heard 1/2 of all his compositions (if that).

I have many new CDs in the queue of works I have not heard yet, and a few more incoming.  My goal in 2014 is to have as many of the other Shostakovich works that I don't yet have in library.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 05:49:49 AM
I have no doubt about it, John.  You know, Shostakovich is one of my equally favourite composers, alongside Beethoven and Brahms.  This is quite a testament to Shostakovich's music, as I have only heard 1/2 of all his compositions (if that).

I have many new CDs in the queue of works I have not heard yet, and a few more incoming.  My goal in 2014 is to have as many of the other Shostakovich works that I don't yet have in library.

As you know, Ray, Shostakovich is my numero uno. I would definitely say he's a composer worth exploring in depth because you'll soon realize how consistent he was. Everything he touched had his DNA on it. The chamber music seems to be the most personal of his music. One listen to say the Cello Sonata and you realize that you're in a completely different universe from Lady Macbeth or Symphony No. 4. And, for me, the sheer variety in his musical style is enough to keep you occupied for a lifetime. He was certainly the last great symphonist in my opinion and I can't think of a recent SQ cycle by any contemporary composer that has had the same impact as Shostakovich's. The man was a genius. I don't like using the 'genius' word but I think it aptly applied to him.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 26, 2013, 05:58:24 AM
As you know, Ray, Shostakovich is my numero uno. I would definitely say he's a composer worth exploring in depth because you'll soon realize how consistent he was. Everything he touched had his DNA on it. The chamber music seems to be the most personal of his music. One listen to say the Cello Sonata and you realize that you're in a completely different universe from Lady Macbeth or Symphony No. 4. And, for me, the sheer variety in his musical style is enough to keep you occupied for a lifetime. He was certainly the last great symphonist in my opinion and I can't think of a recent SQ cycle by any contemporary composer that has had the same impact as Shostakovich's. The man was a genius. I don't like using the 'genius' word but I think it aptly applied to him.

Agree, here.  Unique, contemporary, yet for many of his works, he followed traditional classical forms (which I admire and appreciate).  As you mentioned, the sheer variety of his music is remarkable.

Brahmsian

More Shostakovich quartets this morning with these superb performances:

Shostakovich

String Quartet No. 1 in C major, Op. 49
String Quartet No. 2 in A major, Op. 68
String Quartet No. 4 in D major, Op. 83

Borodin String Quartet

Melodiya

[asin]B000HXE5BK[/asin]