Dmitri's Dacha

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Karl (and others).....it is really good!!  I think Snypps would enjoy this baritone (Alexander Vinogradov)

Thumbs up!  8)

The orchestra's playing is superbly crisp!

[asin]B00I3KAWQQ[/asin]

Brahmsian

Third listen over the last day to this recording.  It is outstanding!

Jaw dropping, maniacal, demonically wicked strings in that 2nd movement!!  :o :)  Are those enough superlatives?  ;D

Thumbs up!  8)

*This may be Petrenko/RLPO's best recording in the Shostakovich cycle yet, and there is only the 13th left for release.

[asin]B00I3KAWQQ[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 28, 2014, 02:03:57 PM
Karl (and others).....it is really good!!  I think Snypps would enjoy this baritone (Alexander Vinogradov)

Thumbs up!  8)

The orchestra's playing is superbly crisp!

[asin]B00I3KAWQQ[/asin]

You know, Schwarz uses- I think - this Liverpool group (on Avie) for the cello concertos with Lynn Harrell. And, yes, I think the samples of the Petrenko were amongst the best of the regular interpretations I heard (that Currentzis performance being a different approach altogether). Cool!

Mirror Image

I'm no great fan of the 14th, but the Petrenko does look tempting, especially since I own all the rest in the series. Of other Shostakovich recordings I'm looking at, the Cello Concertos disc with Truls Mork/Petrenko on Ondine and Jansons conducting Symphony No. 6 on the BR Klassik label should be good.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 29, 2014, 07:44:12 PM
I'm no great fan of the 14th, but the Petrenko does look tempting, especially since I own all the rest in the series. Of other Shostakovich recordings I'm looking at, the Cello Concertos disc with Truls Mork/Petrenko on Ondine and Jansons conducting Symphony No. 6 on the BR Klassik label should be good.
Affirmative on the 14th although I still prefer the Jansons EMI.  Mork is excellent but not outstanding.

EigenUser

For those who were asking on the listening thread, here is the alleged Bartok reference reference in the Shosty 13:
Compare 3:40-ish below
http://www.youtube.com/v/aD196YkBYRs

...with this (roughly the beginning):
http://www.youtube.com/v/VSxsvNg692I

According to Peter Bartok (Bela's son), his father actually thought highly of Shostakovich. He just hated the 7th. He said that his father made a comment like "I understand that it is fine to repeat a melody. But such a melody!" The quote in the CFO was suggested by Peter, but Bela initially thought that it was disrespectful to a composer that he otherwise liked. In the end, he put it in anyways. 8)
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

North Star

OK, yes there is definitely a very strong resemblance.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: EigenUser on June 02, 2014, 01:26:35 PM
For those who were asking on the listening thread, here is the alleged Bartok reference reference in the Shosty 13:
Compare 3:40-ish below
http://www.youtube.com/v/aD196YkBYRs

...with this (roughly the beginning):
http://www.youtube.com/v/VSxsvNg692I

According to Peter Bartok (Bela's son), his father actually thought highly of Shostakovich. He just hated the 7th. He said that his father made a comment like "I understand that it is fine to repeat a melody. But such a melody!" The quote in the CFO was suggested by Peter, but Bela initially thought that it was disrespectful to a composer that he otherwise liked. In the end, he put it in anyways. 8)

I'm gonna say that they were just both Masters of Sarcastic Folklore- which has a similar sound no matter who uses it? It's almost like the 'clunky military' motif, or somehow 'goofball private'? The Shosty is a more solid melody whereas the Bartok is more of a running/rushing thing...? But I see the similarity.

snyprrr

Symphony No.9

Reacquainted today, with Ashkenazy as my zippy guide, dispatching the thing quickly and with wit. I ran across Celibidache, who takes the first movement a minute than most everyone else, but here (5:05) Ashkenazy is as good as anyone at bringing out the undercurrents. Some seem to take this movement much slower, and I thought I heard at least one sample that struck me as too slow (but, maybe in context?). I believe Solti's is the quickest on record, though I don't remember the performance.

The second movement 'Moderato' sounds like the paranoid-knock-on-the-door music, with the seemingly jewish melody wandering about an empty city at night, with danger around every corner. Ashkenazy takes 7:45, and this seems right to give it some movement, but Solti lops a whole minute off, and I believe Petrenko and Rostropovich clock in around a minute slower than Ashkenazy, and I did think that Rosty sounded meandering and without the menace that the quicker Ashkenazy found. Sometimes it's just nice to know what the extant parameters of a piece are (here 6:45-8:45) so we can see what's slow, what's fast, and what's what.

The 'Presto' third movement gives quite varying samples. Ashkenazy is one of the very fastest @2:45 (or under- I think 2:34), and it seems about right, so that I wonder at those who pad this out to somewhat over three minutes. The machine rhythms don't engage properly at slower speeds, and I felt I heard at least one sample that almost sounded half-speed.

The 'Largo' is maybe Shostakovitch's sparest movement up until that point? (discuss) It is notable for featuring the bassoon character, who leads us into the 'Allegretto' finale. Around the solos are these monolithic pillars of chords, like authoritarian party-types, and I think here too we hear the fear of oppression- and you better keep your mouth shut! This haunting enigma lasts only about three minutes, and I don't think there are any absolutely extreme interpretations (such as seven minutes)- most all lie between 2:30 and 3:30.

The 'Allegtr

Mirror Image

I like Gergiev's 9th with the Kirov. I also like Jarvi's with the Scottish National Orch. Both very fine accounts. Haitink's and M. Shostakovich's are also both recommendable.

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 06, 2014, 06:21:23 PM
Symphony No.9

One of Petrenko/RLPO's best efforts, IMO (certainly one of my favourites in the cycle), is their recording of the 9th.  Great performance.

snyprrr

Symphony No.4

Finally got the library's Rostropovitch Cycle, No.4 first up. I had Jarvi many decades back, but I think I wasn't ready for it- noisy probably. Well, listening for the first time today, it's definitely right up there- it's verrry 'Modern' in the early sense of the word- it's got a ton of ideas coming from all directions (like everyone said, but I didn't believe)- it's got outrageous orchestral effects- scales- timpani outbursts- vortex fugues- the tick tock- bombastic marches-

whew!

From what I could tell, Rosty's tempos were straight down the middle, perfect- but, I could sense an even more outlandish performance. And though I found the record very well engineered, with lots of fruity winds, I could imagine what Salonen, Chung, or Rattle- or any of the SuperModern recordings bringing out detail that might have been obscured here (though, I give Rosty all credit here for delivering what I thought was a fiiine performance).

I wouldn't even know where to start...

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE PART IS THE (whoops) flute and other instrument duo on the cool scale- forget where...

Jay F

Quote from: snyprrr on May 25, 2014, 10:38:26 AM
How do Mullova and Mordkovitch compare? Mordy seems to polarize people with her manner (haven't heard it) but has a "demonic" reputation from that Chandos recording. (as in 'Most Demonic')

Hey, snyprrr - What ever happened to the cat?

Ken B

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 20, 2014, 09:11:45 AM
Symphony No.4

Finally got the library's Rostropovitch Cycle, No.4 first up. I had Jarvi many decades back, but I think I wasn't ready for it- noisy probably. Well, listening for the first time today, it's definitely right up there- it's verrry 'Modern' in the early sense of the word- it's got a ton of ideas coming from all directions (like everyone said, but I didn't believe)- it's got outrageous orchestral effects- scales- timpani outbursts- vortex fugues- the tick tock- bombastic marches-

whew!

From what I could tell, Rosty's tempos were straight down the middle, perfect- but, I could sense an even more outlandish performance. And though I found the record very well engineered, with lots of fruity winds, I could imagine what Salonen, Chung, or Rattle- or any of the SuperModern recordings bringing out detail that might have been obscured here (though, I give Rosty all credit here for delivering what I thought was a fiiine performance).

I wouldn't even know where to start...

MY PERSONAL FAVORITE PART IS THE (whoops) flute and other instrument duo on the cool scale- forget where...

Slava is good here.  The Järvi is a big disappointment, largely because it was recorded in far too reverberant a space.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2014, 10:25:24 AM
Slava is good here.  The Järvi is a big disappointment, largely because it was recorded in far too reverberant a space.

1) They say Rattle's timpani sucks compared to Slava. That won't do. Slava's timpani's pretty rockin'. But I need MORE!!

2) Generally, I enjoyed the sound quality, the fruity winds,... but I feel I could use MORE!!

3) Seriously, that Jarvi PERFORMANCE seems really good. I can hear the acoustic in the samples (or my memory) and I just don't know if I'm as displeased with the concert hall as many others are. Really? how much detail is lost? Is the xylophone the test here?

4) GERGIEV- aye aye aye people are all over the map here- I don't know how I could pick him in all good faith. I'm just not hearing that "great Philips sound" here. Everyone says he's great but minimizes all quieter passages.

5) No one will flat out say anything really negative about Chung, and I wonder where they say Gergiev is better here. And then there's Salonen to add to the confusion.

SALONEN        GERGIEV        CHUNG

Pick one.

6) Petrenko- this might be the one I'm looking for. It seemed to give me that jarvi feeling without the reverb?

6) Haitink/Decca- I'd be more inclined to try this than the 'live' one. BUUUT, what of Ashkenazy/Decca?

7) Jansons vs Rattle- I've had it with this one... I'd rather go elsewhere rather than to decipher people's comments here...

8) scotch?

So, i waaas impressed by Slava, but i need moreMoreMORE!!!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on June 20, 2014, 02:19:09 PM
6) Petrenko- this might be the one I'm looking for. It seemed to give me that jarvi feeling without the reverb?

6) Haitink/Decca- I'd be more inclined to try this than the 'live' one. BUUUT, what of Ashkenazy/Decca?

The Petrenko is really good!

I prefer the Haitink/CSO with the Haitink in the Decca set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2014, 03:58:42 PM
The Petrenko is really good!

I prefer the Haitink/CSO with the Haitink in the Decca set.

I'm really going to need a 4th by the end of the weekend, haha!! Wasn't the Haitink 'live' just a bit slower (first mvmt.) than most?

I normally wouldn't go for a Naxos recording in this, but I've convinced myself that this one will be great (they always seem to have a 'rounded' top end, or something, as opposed to that glinting pHILIPS top end- foir the xylo and the piccolo parts, very important).

Chung's more expensive

They say Rattle's timpani isn't what it should be

Jansons is too nice (and I couldn't hear the xylo)

No bad word on Salonen

MAXIM on Supr. gets extremely high marks by one naughty Reviewer

Waaaah, hold my hand!!! :'( :P

not edward

Re: the 4th, I'm very partial to Rozhdestvensky here. I wouldn't make it a first recommendation for the work, for a couple of reaons: it's got the typical crummy Melodiya sound but with added reverb, and it's a rather unusual interpretation (the outer movements are distinctly slower than usual). I do find the slow tempi very effective, particularly in the finale, where the final climax is like being flattened by a steamroller.

Re: the 9th, I seem to go for the Czechs here. Kosler has been my studio favourite for a very long time, and there's a live Ancerl on Praga which is as good as you'd expect.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on June 21, 2014, 07:26:07 AM
Re: the 4th, I'm very partial to Rozhdestvensky here. I wouldn't make it a first recommendation for the work, for a couple of reaons: it's got the typical crummy Melodiya sound but with added reverb, and it's a rather unusual interpretation (the outer movements are distinctly slower than usual). I do find the slow tempi very effective, particularly in the finale, where the final climax is like being flattened by a steamroller.

Re: the 9th, I seem to go for the Czechs here. Kosler has been my studio favourite for a very long time, and there's a live Ancerl on Praga which is as good as you'd expect.

haha!

re 9th- Solti's the quickest here, cracks me up! ;D

Kosler's been getting awfully good press on all fronts lately!

re 4th- I've had Rosty's library copy on repeat for days now. The "interlocking" quality of the music really has me- it just goes on and on. Honestly, it reminds me of Xenakis's 'Pleiades', constantly resurfacing the same basic tempo into all manner of manifestations. DSCH's left hand/right hand "two things happening at once" approach is on total display here. It's such Abstract music, like DSCH is making a movie soundtrack in his head. The real sndtrk to 'The Third Man'?

When they say that Gergiev underplays the 'softer' sections, I almost have to wonder, What softer sections? haham- yes, of course they're there, but, it's still funny. Still concerned about this (especially since he's so cheap)

There are so many considerations to the 4th, I can see why there's no Bernstein/Mravinsky Bible Version to go on (as one Reviewer put it).

I must have the timpani be at least as good as Rosty's though- that could be a dealbreaker now that I'm growing accustomed to his reading (which, to be fair, is there in everything except that very last push over the cliff- put it to 11, as Nige would say)

(man this coffee is good today haha)!! 8)