French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Gilles' religious music is very nice. But for a bit more flamboyance try his contemporary Campra. He, too, wrote a Te Deum, a Requiem and assorted Grands motets.

Que

Time to get back to business. 8)

I got myself a LOT of French Baroque music lately!  :o
Most items are on the Accord Baroque series from French Universal, it contains items from the
high quality catalogue of the (former) small French label Accord.

A trio of chamber music for this post. I've uploaded some good quality, sizeable samples.
See also my earlier comment on the disc with music by Gaspard Le Roux HERE.

I knew composer/violinist Jean-Ferry (Jean-Féry) Rebel, by name only. Here is a recording of his complete Trio Sonatas, based on an Italian model, but adapted to French style and taste. The resulting synthesis of Italian form and French sonorities and rhythms is nice and entertaining, though the emotional expressiveness is modest. Performance is excellent - Noëlle Spieth on harpsichord.

The "Concerts en Sextuors" are basically adaptations for string sextet of Jean-Philippe Rameau's "Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts". They might be by Rameau himself, but that is not certain. The adaptations date probably from the end of his life or shortly thereafter. I found them fascinating and think they definitely have a (pre)Classical feel to them. Beautifully performed by Daniel Cuiller (1st violin) et al. Strongly recommended!

Élizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre was another unknown to me. These Duo and Trio Sonatas are also written in an hybrid, "Italianate" style, which is quite interesting. On first impression I found them a tad Academic, but found out that they contain some nice, inventive and virtuosic writing for the violin. This gives these works an edge for me personally. Excellent performance by the Ensemble Variations.

To some up: the Rameau is the pick of the bunch here, but for lovers of the baroque violin Jacquet de la Guerre might be attractive. The Rebel makes for some introvert atmospheric French sonorities.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 17, 2008, 12:36:18 AM

I knew composer/violinist Jean-Ferry (Jean-Féry) Rebel, by name only. Here is a recording of his complete Trio Sonatas, based on an Italian model, but adapted to French style and taste. T

Manze did a recording of Rebel sonatas and Goebel and Minkowski (and Hogwood) all did a wonderful recording of Rebel's ballet music Les Elements, famous for its opening dissonance, played as a tutti chord that sounds like an explosion even by today's standards.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on February 17, 2008, 07:05:56 AM
... Goebel and Minkowski (and Hogwood) all did a wonderful recording of Rebel's ballet music Les Elements, famous for its opening dissonance, played as a tutti chord that sounds like an explosion even by today's standards.

Thanks, sounds good. Which one would you (or anyone) recommend?
Were I to buy blindly/on instinct, I would opt for Minkowski.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on February 17, 2008, 07:25:08 AM
Were I to buy blindly/on instinct, I would opt for Minkowski.

Minkowski probably has the loudest 'blowup' and does dances with unmatched élan and rigour.  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on February 17, 2008, 12:36:18 AM
Time to get back to business. 8)

I got myself a LOT of French Baroque music lately!  :o
Élizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre was another unknown to me. These Duo and Trio Sonatas are also written in an hybrid, "Italianate" style, which is quite interesting. On first impression I found them a tad Academic, but found out that they contain some very nice, inventive and virtuosic writing for the violin. This gives these works an edge for me. Excellent performance by the Ensemble Variations.

To some up: the Rameau is the pick of the bunch here, but for lovers of the baroque violin Jacquet de la Guerre will be attractive. The Rebel makes for some introvert atmospheric French sonorities.

Que - thanks for the recommendations - will need to check to see if that label is available easily 'across the pond'!  :D  At the end of last month, I put a post in the listening thread on la Guerre - a disc (inserted above; and my first experience w/ this composer) that I acquired at the Arkiv Music Hungaroton sale - really enjoyable, and would be quite interested in obtaining more of her works.  Dave  :)

Ten thumbs

There is a wealth of interesting material on this thread that I will be returning to. One question though: the harp was very popular amongst the aristocracy. Was music written specifically for this instrument or did performers arrange other music, say that for harpsichord? Are there any recordings of French Baroque music played on solo harp?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

rubio

Anybody here know this disc?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

The new erato

Superb sound, colorful music, beautiful melodies, foot-tapping rhytms, a perfect one-disc introduction to Lully. A favorite disc for this baroque freak.

rubio

Quote from: erato on February 21, 2008, 10:37:11 PM
Superb sound, colorful music, beuatiful melodies, foot-tapping rhytms, a perfect one-disc introduction to Lully. A favorite disc for this baroque freak.

The Norwegian Chamber Orchestra performed the Le bourgeois Gentilhomme yesterday, and I found it very entertaining. I would expect Savall to be even better in this music, so this disc will be ordered promptly! Any suggestions for Baroque music in the same category as the piece mentioned?
It could be expensive to delve deeper into this area, which is quite unfamiliar territory for me (except for the big names like Bach, Vivaldi, Handel etc.)... ::)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Morigan

My introduction to Lully's music was the soundtrack to the French film Le Roi danse. It's a great sampling of his music and it's performed by the now disbanded Musica Antiqua Köln w/ Goebel. I highly recommend it.

Harry

Quote from: Figaro on February 22, 2008, 06:01:17 AM
My introduction to Lully's music was the soundtrack to the French film Le Roi danse. It's a great sampling of his music and it's performed by the now disbanded Musica Antiqua Köln w/ Goebel. I highly recommend it.

I did not know that Musica Antiqua Koln was disbanded. :P

SonicMan46

Quote from: rubio on February 21, 2008, 08:17:17 PM
Anybody here know this disc?

Sure, I purchased that disc last April (some great comments from the Amazonians); Savall seems always great in this genre - agree completely Erato's comments!  :D

Que

A Charpentier post today. With two quite different sides of his choral music.

The first disc conducted by Schneebeli contains four elaborate "Grand Motets" that Charpentier wrote in the late 1670's/ early 1680's. Charpentier was influenced by the Italian oratorio style which he encountered when visiting Rome in the mid 1660's. As the name suggests these are performed by large forces with a double choir, each including four solo parts, and a double orchestra. This is mature Charpentier - expect no shock and awe, but highly eloquent, beautifully balanced and very sophisticated choral singing. What is special for a sacred piece of the time is the combination of the choral singing with quite extensive instrumental scoring - played by the Czech ensemble Musica Florea. As Bill remarked, an harpsichord is at times used as continuo, alternated with a chamber organ. Performances are superb - on the instrumental as well as the choral side. Recordings were made during two live performances at Versailles - this is not noticeable except for the more "blended" / diffuse sound that Harry noticed.
It's a beauty, and an excellent companion to Schneebeli's recording of the "Vêspres pour Saint Louis" (Alpha).

The second disc contains funeral music, "Messe pour les tréspassés" and "Motet pour les tréspassés", that the young Charpentier wrote a few years after his return from Italy on commission from the Guise family. Again double choirs, but with modest though gorgeous (recorders!) instrumentation. The mood is solemn yet expressive, very powerful and touching music. These pieces are accompanied on this disc with a much later work (1685 and reworked in the 1690's): "Miserere des Jésuites" - sober, ethereal and imaginative.
This is a very nice disc, showing off alternative aspects of Charpentier's art. Recommended.

Q

Que

For me one of the French Baroque discoveries for quite some time!
I had never heard of the composer, Jean-François Dandrieu, but got this on account of the performance by French harpsichordist Olivier Baumont. Stylistically I would place Dandrieu right between Jean-Philippe Rameau and François Couperin. And these harpsichord pieces are IMO of excellent musical quality - it's music with a strong individual character and very catchy. Great stuff IMO and I can't think of any reason why there are no recordings of all of his harpsichord works - this is only a selection. Anyway, I guess we'll have to make do with this incomplete but superb performance by Baumont. :)

As you've guessed by now: interested in French Baroque harpsichord music? - this is a must-buy!

Q

71 dB

Thanks Que for the Dandrieu introduction and clip. Nice music indeed!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

A post on two sets containing a mix of instrumental music and songs or cantatas today.

A gorgeous sounding collection of viol music, purely instrumental or as accompaniment in songs, from the early French Baroque (during the reign of Louis XIII).  Instrumental works by: Louis Couperin, Du Mont, Métru, Moulinié, Vallet, Le Jeune, Du Caurroy and Roberday. Songs by: Boesset, Guédron, Thibaud de Courville, Cadéac, Le Jeune and Du Mont.

This disc - that I got as a bargain - pleasantly surprised me. I'm somewhat prejudiced against "hotchpotch" programming, but in this case it is a major strength of the recording. A superb disc for which I have nothing but praise. The ensemble L' Amoroso, consisting of three viols and a violin, accompanied by a theorbo, lute, harpsichord or organ is topnotch - what exquisite music making! And beautifully recorded. More praise for soprano Caroline Pelon: beautiful voice and very idiomatic singing - she effectively projects the emotions in the texts (which are fortunately provided with translations). Music is of excellent quality and here plays the intelligent programming a major role: the mix of instrumental music and songs of different but related composers makes for very varied and interesting listening. Add to that superb performances and we have a winner. Strongly recommended.  :)

Center stage on this disc take three cantatas by Jean-Baptiste Stuck(1680-1755): L'Impatience, Mars Jaloux and Héraclite & Démocrite. Between the cantatas are two pieces of chamber music by Michele Mascitti and François Duval. Beautiful performances, beautifully recorded. Great packaging and interesting liner notes, full texts with translations. But all in all, I was somewhat disappointed in the musical inspiration of Monsieur Stuck - nice, maybe quite nice even, but not more than that. The absence of female singers doesn't help either. A bit on the dutiful side, I would say. Though I can imagine those into this repertoire, having a great time with this disc.

Q

Drasko

Very impressive, though he could relax a bit in simpler pieces.

Here are few samples:
F.Couperin - L'Amphibie (24e ordre) - Pierre Hantai
F.Couperin - La Flore (5e ordre) - Pierre Hantai

and for comparison:
F.Couperin - La Flore (5e ordre) - Gustav Leonhardt ('71)

Que

Quote from: Drasko on May 09, 2008, 12:11:53 PM

Very impressive, though he could relax a bit in simpler pieces.

Drasko, thanks for posting the samples. :)
I discovered that I keep having issues with Hantaï's style. His L'Amphibie (a brilliant piece, good choice!) sounds decidedly... quirky and heavy accented next to Rousset's elegant brilliance and Spieth's moving and poetic light touch...
I like Hantaï's La flore better, but there more to get out of the piece IMO. And Leonhardt is being his wise, contemplative and a bit stoic self.

Q

Drasko

Quote from: Que on May 10, 2008, 12:01:25 AM

I like Hantaï's La flore better, but there is more to get out of the piece IMO. And Leonhardt is being his wise, contemplative and a bit stoic self.

Or it might be put this way - maybe there should be less got out of the piece, since Hantai is bordering on overwrought. But I do find his playing very interesting, unexpected inner voices, lots of color. Maybe not for everyday choice but tasty alternative.

I don't really like Rousset, brilliant playing, amazing shaping of phrases (at that speed) but that is not even close to Gracieusement marking. He sounds as if he has a bus to catch. Spieth is interesting, would like to hear more of her.

My favorite is still Leonhardt, though.

Maybe someone could upload STIL ;D I mean Scott Ross, his Rameau is amazing, would love to hear his Couperin but availability is almost non-existant.

I'm also curious of Rannou double on Zig-Zag.