French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Quote from: SonicMan on December 06, 2008, 07:01:35 AM
Well, I've obtain a surfeit of French harpsichord music lately -  :o

[snip]

A Pierre Hantaï recording is always attractive, and a new foray into the music of Couperin definitely merits attention!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bunny on December 07, 2008, 11:20:15 AM
A Pierre Hantaï recording is always attractive, and a new foray into the music of Couperin definitely merits attention!

Hi Bunny - I've listened to this disc a couple of times so far, excellent performance & sound - Jerry Dubins of Fanfare raved about this recording HERE - recommended as a great 'single disc' choice, if desired -  :D

Bunny

Quote from: SonicMan on December 07, 2008, 01:58:15 PM
Hi Bunny - I've listened to this disc a couple of times so far, excellent performance & sound - Jerry Dubins of Fanfare raved about this recording HERE - recommended as a great 'single disc' choice, if desired -  :D

Thanks for the link, but as I am not a subscriber to Fanfare it is not accessible to me.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bunny on December 08, 2008, 05:46:26 AM
Thanks for the link, but as I am not a subscriber to Fanfare it is not accessible to me.

Sorry about that - must have linked from a computer that had my login info in a 'cookie' -  :-\

The Fanfare Review is reprinted on the ArkivMusic Site HERE - Dave  :D

Bunny

Quote from: SonicMan on December 07, 2008, 01:58:15 PM

Thanks for the review!  Of course I am very interested in anything that Hantaï plays especially Couperin, however I believe the reviewer is overly sanguine if he expects more than 2 or 3 discs in the series.  Hantaï's Scarlatti series has languished after 3 releases which are now "discontinued by the manufacturer" so I am not overly optimistic about the scope of this latest project.  If (more likely when) I obtain this, it will be as a stand alone disc with no expectation of a complete set.  Thankfully, for complete sets I already have Rousset, Spieth, Borgstede and Baumont.

Meanwhile, I am reminded of another "stand alone" recording that is quite admirable by Mitzi Meyerson, an American living in Berlin.  A review from MusicWeb can be found at Arkivmusic.

Mitzi Meyerson gives splendid performances. She is well aware of the character of every single piece and expresses their character eloquently. The use of 'notes inégales' is very subtle, as it should be, and accelerandos and rallentandos, which - according to Pierre Mamou in the programme notes - are features of the French taste, are used as means of expression. I wonder, though, why Ms Meyerson uses them in 'Les Tambourins' from Ordre 20, which Couperin specifically requires to be played "with even notes".

This is an exemplary production: some of the finest music Couperin has ever written, excellent performance and recording, a beautiful instrument - a harpsichord by Keith Hill, a copy of a Taskin from 1769 - and a booklet with informative programme notes. Every reason to recommend this disc.

-- Johan van Veen, MusicWeb International

Drasko

Quote from: Bunny on December 08, 2008, 08:56:47 AM
Thanks for the review!  Of course I am very interested in anything that Hantaï plays especially Couperin,

Then you could go back this thread a few pages. Hantai's Couperin disc was briefly discussed by Que and me some time ago, I was enthusiastic he was less so, but you'll find there links for two pieces from that disc that I've uploaded for sampling, so you don't really need reviews, just download and listen for yourself, much better way of deciding whether you want to invest in buying a CD or not.

Bunny

Drasko, thank you for bringing those files to my attention!  :-*

I believe I had listened to them when you first posted them but had forgotten them in the interim. I have also dragged out my recordings of Angela Hewitt's Couperin as well for comparison to Tharaud's Tic toc choc (delightful, btw!).  In fact, I am literally swimming in Couperin these days, with just a toe occasionally into l'eaux de Rameau. ;D

Apologies to all for my poor attempt at humor en français.

james66

Quote from: Bunny on December 05, 2008, 06:57:54 AM
I have the older recording but I've been considering the newer recording for a while; here's what I've learned about it: They are not the same recording; the the newer release does not include the transcription for harpsichord of La Chasse de Zäide (1739).  They are both available from amazon as mp3 downloads so you can sample the tracks for comparison.  It appears from the track samples that Rousset exercised more restraint in the ornamentation in the later recording which was made at the Musée de la Musique, Paris and it also has a drier accoustic.  Rousset used a Jean-Claude Goujon harpsichord modified by Jacques Joachim Swanen in 1784 from the collection of the Musée for the newer recording.  If I buy the second recording, it will be because of the instrument. 

Thanks Bunny,

Sampling the tracks on Amazon are somewhat inconclusive (the clips are less than 30 seconds, they seem to have deleted their older (and better) 1-minute clips). Jpc offers better samples of the new recording but not of the 1993 one. Nevertheless, the newer Royer seems to have slightly brisker speeds for the fast pieces (the less pacy tracks are conversely played slower) and the harpsichord sounds more resonant. BTW, the harpsichord is an absolute beauty and would also be the primary reason I get the new recording.

Would also be very interested on how you rate the various Couperin integrales that you have Rousset, Baumont, Borgstede, Spieth. Although I have quite a few discs of Couperin's harpsichord music, the only complete set I have at present is the Spieth, which is absolutely magnificent. The Rousset 2-cd set is also delightful (the man is technically immaculate, even in his younger days!). I am much less convinced by the Baumont, which has a very lugubrious feel to it. Also technically, both Spieth and Rousset are much better. If only Skip Sempe would release a Couperin compilation on his new label...

Drasko

Quote from: Drasko on November 27, 2008, 10:17:12 AM
Whilst trying to get some order in my rather messy mediafire account I accidentally deleted the two Royer pieces featuring few posts above ::)
So, if anyone wants to hear them in future do PM me and I'll re-upload them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=32f6b0385ab93f8d91b20cc0d07ba4d2850f8a529799f174

Drasko

I'm not particularly versed in French baroque cantatas, but nevertheless that won't stop me in thinking that Clerambault Orphee has to be one of the finest. Wonderfully expressive and dramatic piece for solo voice, violin, flute and continuo devided in four airs and four recitatives varing from lovely lyricism to contrasting heroic declamation. Unbelievably rich and evocative for under 20 minutes piece on what is quite hackneyed subject by now.
Coupled cantata L'Hyver by Boismortier is charming, tuneful and highly enjoyable piece though lighter in weight than Orphee despite its longer timing, rounding the disc are two instrumental pieces: one of Corrette's Concertos Comique (including his take on Les Sauvages) and short colorful suite from Boismortier's comedy-ballet Don Quichotte chez la Duchesse.
Gauvin and orchestra are both superb, and so is the recording. No idea how it compares with Piau's Orphee on Naxos but I'd still recommend it.

Que

Spent some time lately with this new purchase, a 2CD set with all published harpsichord works:

Samples HERE (scroll down).

Earlier comment by Drasko:

Quote from: Drasko on January 14, 2009, 02:43:13 PM
de Chambonnieres is the first important french composer for harpsichord, granddaddy of french harpsichord music and at the same time scarcity of recordings is hard to believe. There are only three all Chambonneres discs that I heard of: that one, available only from french retailers for over 30 euros (for most people) and two out of print discs: Sempe on DHM (going for silly prices on amazon) and some female harpsicordist whose name escapes me now on some never heard of label.

Indeed, the music by Jacques Champion de Chambonnières shows the origins of the great French harpsichord tradition. Champion worked during the reign of Louis XIII and thereafter, contemporary of Lully. He introduced Louis Couperin to the French court. As I understand it, musically the roots are to be found in the the French Lute tradition. And this is clearly felt in this music, which has a light, delicate and very flowing character. Also, in several instances in this set Olivier Baumont is accompanied by Claire Antonini on a theorbo or a lute.
Champion's music is more modest and perhaps less demanding than the works of the brilliant harpsichordist-composers that succeeded him, but very attractive in its own right and quite innovative for its age (the Livre Premier was published in 1670). Befriended Dutch poet, composer, scientist and diplomat Constantijn Huygens passed Champion's works to my beloved German composer Johann Jakob Froberger, and so all the pieces of the musical puzzle of Baroque harpsichord music fit together. :)

Oh, about the performance! :) Olivier Baumont does a wonderful job in the light, flowing approach this music needs. He plays an unidentified (marked "D.F." from the Collection Yannick Gaillou) late 17th century French harpsichord which is bright, but not too much and has a fresh, light clear sound. Beautifully recorded.

So all in all, for those with a particular interest in the French Baroque harpsichord tradition: strongly recommended! :)

(For whom am I writing this anyway? ::) Drasko is already au courant on this!  ;D Bunny, perhaps something for you? :) )

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on January 17, 2009, 03:14:52 AM

(For whom am I writing this anyway? ::) Drasko is already au courant on this!  ;D Bunny, perhaps something for you? :) )

Q

You should know I'm in (even though I'm more into French baroque opera). But what's the label, and where to get it?

Que

Quote from: erato on January 17, 2009, 03:26:22 AM
You should know I'm in (even though I'm more into French baroque opera). But what's the label, and where to get it?

Ah! :) Yes, of course erato :D My apologies! - perhaps our numbers are fortunately not as insignificant as I imagined.  ;D

The label is tiny (know only of three issues) - AS Musique.
Availble at AbeilleMusique (see samples-link above), but also all other French sources including French Amazon.

Q

Lilas Pastia

Anyone has listened to Elizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre? I bought a disc of some of her music (2 cantatas and a harpsichord suite). She was a favourite of King Louis XIV (Le Roi Soleil).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 23, 2009, 03:18:46 PM
Anyone has listened to Elizabeth Jacquet de la Guerre? I bought a disc of some of her music (2 cantatas and a harpsichord suite). She was a favourite of King Louis XIV (Le Roi Soleil).

Evening André - only have one disc of that composer (shown below), but quite good! Dave  :D

Lilas Pastia

Thanks, Dave! This is the disc I have:

Very flowery cover art - not exactly my type of artwork, but so what? This was part of a 3 for 10$ sale of ATMA discs. Other french baroque titles were on offer as well.

The new erato

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on January 23, 2009, 03:18:46 PM
If that is the disc on Alpha Productions, I have it and remember it to be good. Haven't played it for some time, though.

Antoine Marchand

Yesterday I read in IMDB the sad news about death of Guillaume Depardieu, son of Gérard Depardieu, who played the young Marin Marais in the French movie Tous les matins du monde (1991), mentioned many times in this forum.

Here a note from IMDB about his turbulent life:

Guillaume Jean Maxime Antoine Depardieu (7 April 1971, Paris, France-13 October 2008, Garches, France)

Brother of Julie Depardieu.

Son of Gérard Depardieu and Elisabeth Depardieu.

Father with his wife, actress Elise, of a daughter - Louise (b. January 2001).

16 September 2003 - Received a suspended 9-month prison sentence and a $9000 fine for threatening a man with a gun in Trouville, France.

Contracted an infection while being treated in an hospital for a leg-wound following a motorbike accident. The infection proved to be extremely resistant to antibiotics and, after almost 2 years in and out of treatment and a great deal of pain with no end in sight, he decided to have his leg amputated.

Died at the Garches hospital, France, on October 13 2008 (aged 37), after contracting severe pneumonia whilst filming on location in Romania.

Separated from his wife Elise in 2001.

Que

So, why do I like French harpsichord music so much? :o :D

I don't know where this addiction came from, but maybe it's the quirky, mysterious quality of it and the sophisticated dash that attracts me. A bit of otherworldliness.

Anyway, yet another composer came on my path: Nicolas Siret.

Siret was a contemporary, friend and admirer of François Couperin. And indeed his work is easily to relate to the work of Couperin. But more introvert and more traditional, still he has his own voice and the music has a "clean" freshness. Surprise here was Davitt Moroney, a harpsichordist that till now failed to convince me (in German repertoire - Bach). But this a very fine achievement indeed.

Samples HERE (Do not try the samples at Amazon, they sound horrendous!)

Maybe not a first priority when venturing into French harpsichord music, but a nice extra taste for the veterans amongst us - recommended! :)

The only nag is that this is only a selection from a previous issue of the complete keyboard works for harpsichord an organ (the last track here is on organ). After hearing this, I'd love to have that... :-\

Q