French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on March 15, 2011, 04:58:09 PM
Chambonnieres, Jacques Champion de (1601/2-1672) - 'father' of 17th century harpsichord music, according to references that I've read - probably close to the truth.  Well, I now own the 3 recordings shown below, do I need all of them?  All are quite good and several are still available from BRO for bargain prices!  So, pertinent to this thread, I'd (and likely others) might be interested in member opinions of these various interpretations?  Thanks all -  :D

Hi Dave, I have only the Baumont 2CD-set, so can't offer a comparison. But I find it really impeccable: in performance, recording, instrument and completeness.  :) So I've never felt the urge to look any further. My previous comments HERE (But you've read them probably before). I still take it from the shelves now and then, which is considering the growing size of my collection, definitely a good sign. I remember Drasko liking it as well. :)

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on March 15, 2011, 09:04:04 PM
... So I've never felt the urge to look any further.

Are you not a completist, Q? Just one version, if it is satisfactory. You and your eccentric ideas!   :P :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 16, 2011, 08:06:12 AM
Are you not a completist, Q? Just one version, if it is satisfactory. You and your eccentric ideas!   :P :D

Que & Antoine - believe that I acquired all of these versions because each was available at BRO for a steal!  :D 8)

Just finished listening to the 2nd disc of Baumont - excellent performance & great liner notes - definitely a 'keeper' for me (and especially recommended to those interested in this pioneering 17th French keyboard player/composer and at the BRO pricing).

However, am now listening to Karen Flint - single CD but nearly 77 mins and also w/ excellent liner notes; the harpsichord used is a Ruckers (Antwerp, 1635); restored a number of times, the last being to its mid-18th century state by John Philips in 2005 - will keep that disc, also.

Now the other recording w/ Francoise Lengelle was performed recently (2003) on a harpsichord made by Vincent Tibaut (Toulouse, 1681) - does not appear to have had a major restoration?  Full description of the instrument in the excellent liner notes - need to at least give this another listen!  Dave   :)

Coopmv

Just purchased this set at a great price from an Amazon MP vendor over a week ago ...

and this set should complement the following set I bought early last year ...

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 16, 2011, 08:06:12 AM

Completist? Yes!  ;D But in terms of interesting repertoire and covering different styles - I choose to focus my limited resources on expanding my musical horizon first and foremost. Of course there are (many) exeptions: in cases that I'm highly fascinated by specific music and I feel that a different angle might provide a new or better experience. :)

Baumont's Cambonnières set, whether true or not (I would have to spend much time and money just to verify), left the strong feeling of satisfaction that it can hardly be bettered upon! :D

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on March 18, 2011, 11:59:42 PM
Completist? Yes!  ;D But in terms of interesting repertoire and covering different styles - I choose to focus my limited resources on expanding my musical horizon first and foremost. Of course there are (many) exeptions: in cases that I'm highly fascinated by specific music and I feel that a different angle might provide a new or better experience. :)

Baumont's Cambonnières set, whether true or not (I would have to spend much time and money just to verify), left the strong feeling of satisfaction that it can hardly be bettered upon! :D

Q

Q,  You are one of the very few people on this forum whose recommendations I follow ...     :)

Sylph

Any recommended recordings of André Campra's music? 8)

Drasko

Quote from: Sylph on March 19, 2011, 07:26:11 AM
Any recommended recordings of André Campra's music? 8)

[asin]B000027NVF[/asin]
[asin]B001UDYC3W[/asin]
[asin]B0030BYU7U[/asin]

Coopmv

Quote from: milk on April 16, 2011, 06:25:56 AM
I did get this recording by the way. I like the sound quality but I don't know what I think of the interpretations yet. Itunes has every track mis-labelled! This recording does remind me how much I love the plectra recording![asin] B00285QBXK[/asin]

Here is one of the several Plextra recordings I purchased a few weeks ago.  The SQ is quite good for this little known label ...

milk

Here is one of the several Plextra recordings I purchased a few weeks ago.  The SQ is quite good for this little known label ...

[/quote]

Oh No! Another one for my to-buy list!!!!!

Coopmv

Quote from: milk on April 16, 2011, 04:18:46 PM

I also bought this twofer, which I have yet to play ...

Que

Quote from: milk on April 16, 2011, 04:18:46 PM

For Chambonnières, also keep Olivier Baumont in mind. :)

See comments HEREHERE and HERE.

Q

prémont

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2011, 09:22:05 PM

Q

Whatever the comments. This Baumont recording is outstanding, I think he is much underrated. Everybody who has heard his Couperin or Händel or this Chambonnières recordings knows.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2011, 09:22:05 PM

Q

I am having problems locating this CD on Amazon US ...   :(

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on April 17, 2011, 05:04:30 AM
I am having problems locating this CD on Amazon US ...   :(

Try Berkshire. :)

Q

Coopmv

Opus106

What is van Immerseel's stand in Baroque music?
[asin]B000ZPHKZ8[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

I've just had a revelation hearing a single disc of Blandine Rannou playing Rameau on Zig-Zag. Now I desperately need to get the whole 4 disc shenanigan.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on June 15, 2011, 08:51:18 AM
I've just had a revelation hearing a single disc of Blandine Rannou playing Rameau on Zig-Zag. Now I desperately need to get the whole 4 disc shenanigan.

It indeed is a revelation! :) Rannou's Rameau is on par with Rousset's, but quite different: more sensuous and lyrical against Rousset's probing virtuosic brilliance. And with Rannou you get the Pièces de clavecin en concerts as an extra in comparison.

Highly recommended. :)

[asin]B00005BCWZ[/asin]

Q

Que

A 3-CD set with the complete organ music of Louis Couperin (1626-1661). Davitt Moroney plays the organ of the Abbaye de Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache, built by Jean Boizard in 1714.

I hate to recommend hard-to-find items, but this issue on Tempéraments (TEM 316001/3 (1995) is really something.... In 1957 a private collector rediscovered 68 unknown organ compositions by Louis Couperin, uncle of François. Only in the early nineties a publication of the works was prepared by Davitt Moroney and in these recordings from 1995 he also premiered the music on recording.

And what wonderful music and what wonderful recording it is!  :o :)I'm still discovering the French organ school, but this is surely the best I've heard so far. Louis Couperin emerges as a tremendous organ composer. Pride of place take the two stunning Cycles de Fugues et Fantaisies that take over half of the three disc. They are preceded by just over one disc of more traditional styled music, mostly in plein jeu. These cycles of fugues outshine even any of his efforts for the harpsichord that I have heard. It seems that before it was a similar, smaller cycle of Fugues et caprices by François Roberday was pointed out of being the equivalent from the French baroque of later examples by Bach. However fine that cycle is (more about it later), Louis Couperin is the real thing. Beautiful are these fugues: subtle, inventive, expressive, delectable and very touching. Couperin was befriended with Froberger and was through him exposed to Italian influences which are clearly noticeable in these cycles.
Amazing how a rediscovery of lost music can change the outlook of a composer and of a whole era. :o

Anyway: all organ buffs take heed if this set happens to come your way!

Q