French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on July 22, 2012, 08:18:40 AM
I have to admit being enchanted with Tharaud's Couperin disk this weekend, my first hearing of Couperin on piano.

For me, Couperin's sound is not sweetened but rather, given a different mood that shifts my point of view of the music, in a good way.

I have Couperin's works performed on piano in three volumes by Angela Hewitt.  But it has been a long time since I last listened to those CD's.

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on July 22, 2012, 10:49:50 AM
I have Couperin's works performed on piano in three volumes by Angela Hewitt.  But it has been a long time since I last listened to those CD's.

Well I just listened to her play the 26th order,  Hewitt doesn't use much rubato. So you don't get that slightly disorienting mannerist  effect that you get in the same music played by (e.g.) Blandine Verlet. And  she uses warm colour and dynamics a lot -- Verlet uses colour a lot too, but not as much as Hewitt. The result is that Hewitt sounds refined and beautiful  to me.  Hewitt seemed less sincere than Verlet -- it was as if I was conscious of her showing off the piano, what she can do with the piano, colour, dynamics etc. But Verlet seems a more authentic  and uncalculated outpouring of feeling. L'epineuse is a good example of all of this. Verlet's more soulful and more expressive.

I really wanted to hear Hewitt play the 3rd order, just because I've been enjoying Sempe play it so much and I was wondering how the piano would handle such strange dark music. But as far as I can see she didn't do that one. Is that right?

Have any pianists recorded the preludes?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

milk

I thought it my duty to add this new release to the thread.

Wakefield

Quote from: milk on August 19, 2012, 01:05:03 PM

I thought it my duty to add this new release to the thread.

Of course, nice addition.

But... is that Couperin or Verlet on the cover?  :P
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 19, 2012, 01:19:36 PM
Of course, nice addition.

But... is that Couperin or Verlet on the cover?  :P
Yes! That was also my question when I saw it! It's Verlet!

milk

Question: What is your favorite recording of the complete set of Rameau's keyboard works? 

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on August 19, 2012, 08:20:53 PM
Yes! That was also my question when I saw it! It's Verlet!

She's getting older like all of us. It's a wonderful pair of CDs I think, the more I listen to it them more I like them.

Wakefield

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2012, 08:42:15 AM
She's getting older like all of us...
Yes, it's right, but that fact doesn't nothing to do with the quality of this portrait: not particularly successful as a faithful representation of Verlet, IMO. If the painter pretended a sort of "hybridization" between Verlet and Couperin, well... it could be considered quite more successful.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Here's a photo

By the way a glass of kümmel for the first person who can identify my new avatar. I certainly would be very surprised and pleased to meet someone who knows who that man is.

Wakefield

Quote from: milk on August 19, 2012, 08:22:28 PM
Question: What is your favorite recording of the complete set of Rameau's keyboard works?

I have this set on Brilliant Classics, but it was a bit a disappointment:

[asin]B0037YHOUA[/asin]

I'm quite a fan of Belder; I like a lot his Bach, Scarlatti and Soler, but not this Rameau which, I believe, doesn't have the refinement required by this music.

Currently, I'm waiting for the Rannou set, ordered from Italy and very well recommended on this board by Que. I want to get the solo harpsichord works because regarding the Pièces de clavecin en concerts, I'm quite well served by my favorite version, performed by Rousset, Terakado & Uemura (I also have the single disc by Rannou and her people, but I prefer Rousset et al.). So I will comment when my set arrives from Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqQ_qgrmMQ

-- Voltaire

Drasko

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2012, 09:10:18 AM
Here's a photo

By the way a glass of kümmel for the first person who can identify my new avatar. I certainly would be very surprised and pleased to meet someone who knows who that man is.

I think I've read that portrait of Verlet is just a portrait she likes very much and they've decided to use it for the disc cover, nothing to do with Couperin particularly.

The avatar is I believe Günter Lamprecht as Franz Biberkopf in Fassbinder's TV adaptation of Döblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2012, 09:10:18 AM
Here's a photo

I first heard of Blandine Verlet on this CD, which I treasure even if it is not HIP.  This recording was made probably close to 50 years ago ...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 20, 2012, 09:18:11 AM
I have this set on Brilliant Classics, but it was a bit a disappointment:

[asin]B0037YHOUA[/asin]

I'm quite a fan of Belder; I like a lot his Bach, Scarlatti and Soler, but not this Rameau which, I believe, doesn't have the refinement required by this music.

Currently, I'm waiting for the Rannou set, ordered from Italy and very well recommended on this board by Que. I want to get the solo harpsichord works because regarding the Pièces de clavecin en concerts, I'm quite well served by my favorite version, performed by Rousset, Terakado & Uemura (I also have the single disc by Rannou and her people, but I prefer Rousset et al.). So I will comment when my set arrives from Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoqQ_qgrmMQ

I just recently purchased Vinikour's new Rameau disc and it's superb. Very tame on many of the tempos, although the Les Cyclopes will have you jumping out of your seat, but beautifully recorded and technically stunning.
Unlike the Belder, the Vinikour omits the Pieces de clavecin en concerts, but I already owned three quality recording of them so I didn't feel as if I was missing out.

Mandryka

Quote from: Drasko on August 20, 2012, 09:23:31 AM
I think I've read that portrait of Verlet is just a portrait she likes very much and they've decided to use it for the disc cover, nothing to do with Couperin particularly.

The avatar is I believe Günter Lamprecht as Franz Biberkopf in Fassbinder's TV adaptation of Döblin's Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Help yourself to a glass -- I might have  known it would be you.

I liked the film a lot but the translation in English had a very bad reputation   so I never tried it, and I can't read German. But then someone put me onto a French translation, a new one, and my god, it's a very good book, and Fassbinder is pretty faithful to it (except in the last episode of course)

The scene in that clip is one of my favourite bits of anything, where Franz is talking to the beer and the schnapps.

Leo K.

The more I listen to Angela Hewitt’s Rameau on the modern grand, the more I fall in love with the sound. So I decided to explore more Rameau on piano, starting with a broadcast concert of Sokolov.

What other pianist should I seek to hear Rameau played on the piano?

Mandryka

Quote from: Leo K on August 20, 2012, 10:44:59 AM
The more I listen to Angela Hewitt's Rameau on the modern grand, the more I fall in love with the sound. So I decided to explore more Rameau on piano, starting with a broadcast concert of Sokolov.

Cziffra and Meyer certainly, Tharaud by all means. Barto at your own risk.

Coopmv

Quote from: Leo K on August 20, 2012, 10:44:59 AM
The more I listen to Angela Hewitt's Rameau on the modern grand, the more I fall in love with the sound. So I decided to explore more Rameau on piano, starting with a broadcast concert of Sokolov.

I have all three volumes of Couperin on piano by Angela Hewitt.  You may want to check them out as well ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2012, 11:40:56 AM
Cziffra and Meyer certainly, Tharaud by all means. Barto at your own risk.

I have the following CD by Barto and it actually is not bad ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Coopmv on August 20, 2012, 09:32:54 AM
I first heard of Blandine Verlet on this CD, which I treasure even if it is not HIP.  This recording was made probably close to 50 years ago ...

What is most interesting about this CD is Blandine Verlet was the only woman on harpsichord - back in those good old days.  The other harpsichordists were Raymond Leppard, Philip Ledger and Andrew Davis, who were conductors but could play harpsichord ...

The new erato

Uh...oh....Wanda Landowska?