Author Topic: Prokofiev piano concerti  (Read 3371 times)

Offline PaulR

• Veteran member
Prokofiev piano concerti
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »
last time I was at a Barnes and Nobles (The only store that has a decent classical music selection in my area ((But it's not good either)) had 2 sets of his Prokofiev piano concerti.  One was Beroff/Masur/Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig and the other was Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO.   I was wondering which one is a better set, or if some other set is better, I would like to try to get it.  :)

thanks.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: Prokofiev piano concerti
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:09:30 PM »
There are better sets, IMO, than either Ashkenazy or Beroff. Starting with Browning/Leinsdorf on Testament. Much more fire and reflection respectively.

For individual performances, Katchen/Kertész (Decca) tops them all in the 3rd PC and Richter (DG) is superb in the 5th.

And Paik/Wit on Naxos do a wonderful 1, 3, & 4 (haven't heard the rest of the set).

Of course, none of these are as easy to "snap up" as Ashkenazy or Beroff but to me it's been worth the extra outlay and effort to hear these worthwhile alternatives. :)
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

eyeresist

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »
Ashkenazy/Previn is supposed to be great, but I haven't heard it. I have the Beroff - the performances are stirring and well played, and I feel no driving need to supplement it, except of course for the essential Richter/Rowicki recording of the 5th (which I do have).

George

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:55:47 AM »
last time I was at a Barnes and Nobles (The only store that has a decent classical music selection in my area ((But it's not good either)) had 2 sets of his Prokofiev piano concerti.  One was Beroff/Masur/Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig and the other was Ashkenazy/Previn/LSO.   I was wondering which one is a better set, or if some other set is better, I would like to try to get it.  :)

thanks.

I prefer the Beroff/Masur. A bit more excitement, though I would like even more.

George

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »
And Paik/Wit on Naxos do a wonderful 1, 3, & 4 (haven't heard the rest of the set).

I have both CDs in that series. I have been meaning to compare them to the Beroff set, along with some individual recordings that I picked up recently.

Offline Forever Brett Kavanaugh

Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
I have been listening various recordings of the concerti around No. 1-3, including Argerich (A and D), Kissin, Lang Lang, Toradze, Paik, Bavouzet, etc. I didn’t bother Ashkenazy since I don’t like him anyway.
I think I like the recordings by Krainev (with Moscow PO, not Frankfurt O), Gutierrez, and Lugansky. Especially the former two recordings offer wild, lively performance of Nos. 1 and 3.
I would love to hear senior members’ opinion about these, or other, recordings.

Post ed: probably connoisseurs would rate Bavouzet highly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:58:53 AM by Forever Electoral College »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:41 PM »
I have been listening various recordings of the concerti around No. 1-3, including Argerich (A and D), Kissin, Lang Lang, Toradze, Paik, Bavouzet, etc. I didn’t bother Ashkenazy since I don’t like him anyway.
I think I like the recordings by Krainev (with Moscow PO, not Frankfurt O), Gutierrez, and Lugansky. Especially the former two recordings offer wild, lively performance of Nos. 1 and 3.
I would love to hear senior members’ opinion about these, or other, recordings.
Thanks.

I've been listening to Shelest in 2 lately.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZEeLrRVqL.jpg

Then there are Yundi Li and Yuja Wang.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:34:31 PM by Daverz »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:01:40 PM »

thanks.

I have the Béroff, and like it very well, I haven't heard the Ashkenazy, and so cannot offer a comparison.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
Yes great performance. The recording, and its sound, is a little old.
I have the Béroff, and like it very well, I haven't heard the Ashkenazy, and so cannot offer a comparison.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 07:04:55 AM »
Great sound and impressive but mostly fairly slow so maybe not everyone's cup of tea is Toradze/Gergiev (Philips). But AFAIR the sound of Béroff/Masur was good enough for me.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 07:14:23 AM »
I like the Toradze, too. One might say it's a little invested in the 'brutal' idea of Prokofieff playing, which isn't necesaarily the way one should. But the Toradze - Gergiev - Mariinsky is a great cooperation of like minds.

The Krainev is very good, too.

The problem with the Gutierrez is IMHO that the Concertgebouw-acoustic (as rendered by Chandos) isn't terribly helpful for the rhythmic acuities of Prokofieff. (Most of the acoustic problems stem from the engineering desk rather than the hall itself, but never mind.)

I would recommend to you the 5th concerto. It's a wonderful piece, but it's like people just give up after nr.3.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »
My favorite by a huge margin is #2 but I never really understood why #4 and #5 are so comparably neglected.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
Nowadays I am listening the Concerti 1 and 3 by Graffman with Szell/Cleveland Orch. In general, I prefer new recordings to old “classic” recordings. But I like the Graffman’s performance, which was recorded in the 1960s. The music is very colorful and exuberant, and Cleveland Orch evinces its dexterity and musical depth.