Only the New (music)

Started by Philoctetes, November 08, 2010, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 09, 2010, 06:26:40 PM
Let's continue down this path: Julien Anderson
That conductor... (and I've heard of him before) has an... umm... interesting... name and umm... interesting... appearance.
That piece really just annoyed me. Actually, bland, annoying, and it's hard to imagine why such a large orchestra would agree to play something like that.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on November 09, 2010, 07:25:08 PM
That conductor... (and I've heard of him before) has an... umm... interesting... name and umm... interesting... appearance.
That piece really just annoyed me. Actually, bland, annoying, and it's hard to imagine why such a large orchestra would agree to play something like that.

Interesting. I rather enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for a ton of brass, and the walls of sound that it can create, but I also thought the interplay between instruments was done quite well.

Sid

I quite like the music of Australian composer Richard Meale, who only passed away last year. Here's the only piece I could find of his on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTr8rqk9DBA

Another (living) Aussie composer is Brett Dean. His stuff is awesome, but there is nothing on youtube (only an interview). His music is worth checking out if you are interested in composers south of the equator...

Philoctetes

Quote from: Sid on November 09, 2010, 09:26:56 PM
I quite like the music of Australian composer Richard Meale, who only passed away last year. Here's the only piece I could find of his on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTr8rqk9DBA

Another (living) Aussie composer is Brett Dean. His stuff is awesome, but there is nothing on youtube (only an interview). His music is worth checking out if you are interested in composers south of the equator...

Thanks for that. Meale's piece reminded me a bit of Ravel and Messiaen. I loved where it went.

I'm definitely interested, in Dean. What would you say that his music sounds like?

some guy

Brass is good fun.

Robin Hayward plays tuba. Here's the composition page of his website, full of clips:

http://www.robinhayward.de/compositions.html

There are a lot of nice Australian and New Zealand composers. Martin Ng. Ross Bolleter. Lissa Meridan, Oren Ambarchi.

This is Ambarchi and Keith Rowe last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAYyDvtdBc&feature=related

Sid

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 09, 2010, 09:40:42 PM
Thanks for that. Meale's piece reminded me a bit of Ravel and Messiaen. I loved where it went.

I'm definitely interested, in Dean. What would you say that his music sounds like?

Even though I live here in Australia, I've heard little of either composer, to tell you the truth. I just thought I'd put these names out there for discussion. I'm looking forward to going to an Australia Ensemble concert next year where they will play what is Meale's finest piece, Incredible Floridas for chamber ensemble. I've heard his opera Voss, and that isn't a bad work also, although I don't find it as intruiguing as his earlier stuff (like the youtube video).

Brett Dean's music is a blend of all types of modernisms - some of it is as lush as Berg, & some as stark and pared down as Webern (though definitely not serial). The BIS cd that I saw in a shop even includes a work for chamber ensemble and electronics called Carlo. I believe it was inspired by the life of Carlo Gesualdo. An entirely instrumental work that I saw live last year called Testament, similarly dealt with how Beethoven coped with his deafness. I also saw (this year with the Australian Youth Orchestra, Sir Mark Elder conducting) his Ampitheatre, which was a colourful and quite dark piece evoking the history of buildings like the Colosseum. He's an interesting composer for sure, and quite prolific. He used to be a violist in the Berlin Philharmonic before coming back to Australia to devote more time to composition.

Another Aussie guy, but a bit older than Dean, is Barry Conygham. I haven't heard any of his more recent works (but will at a concert of the Australia Ensemble next year), but I have got on cd an old recording of his Water, Footsteps, Time for chamber ensemble and amplified instruments, which has much in common with the music of Takemitsu. Again, none of his stuff is on youtube (it appears that not everything is on youtube - yet!)...

petrarch

Quote from: James on November 09, 2010, 03:52:01 PM
Man, just tedious & awful. And where exactly was the music  ?

I have to agree. I've been to Azguime concerts since the mid-90s and I never truly warmed up to his works.

I didn't see anything truly engaging on this one, just a rehash of certain interesting things you can do with voice and live electronics. And the multimedia aspect was unimaginative and quite poor.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Grazioso

Here's a nice compromise between playing stringed instruments the "right" and "wrong" ways: Gloria Coates, who uses lots of microtones and glissandi (and otherworldly dissonances).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUyT_WdWfE&p=46F7B2F38B95DDE4

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

karlhenning

Quote from: Greg on November 09, 2010, 05:04:27 PM
We're glad to see you back, too.

Very nicely played, Gregggg!

Philoctetes

Quote from: some guy on November 09, 2010, 09:46:57 PM
Brass is good fun.

Robin Hayward plays tuba. Here's the composition page of his website, full of clips:

http://www.robinhayward.de/compositions.html

There are a lot of nice Australian and New Zealand composers. Martin Ng. Ross Bolleter. Lissa Meridan, Oren Ambarchi.

This is Ambarchi and Keith Rowe last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAYyDvtdBc&feature=related

Really enjoyed the samples from Hayward's page. I really liked those brass combinations. I went in thinking they would simply be loud, but he really composed those pieces well.

Also, loved that turntable music. I just love the sounds that come from those mixings.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Grazioso on November 10, 2010, 03:51:31 AM
Here's a nice compromise between playing stringed instruments the "right" and "wrong" ways: Gloria Coates, who uses lots of microtones and glissandi (and otherworldly dissonances).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUyT_WdWfE&p=46F7B2F38B95DDE4

Glad that you employed the use of those quotations. I really enjoy the work of Coates.

Philoctetes

karlhenning

Good morning to you!

Wuorinen, Five (1987) for amplified cello and chamber orchestra (Fred Sherry, solo vc):

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ii3gRtjNFyM

Philoctetes

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 10, 2010, 04:47:07 AM
Good morning to you!

Wuorinen, Five (1987) for amplified cello and chamber orchestra (Fred Sherry, solo vc):

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ii3gRtjNFyM

I really enjoyed what he did with the cello. Although, the music had a bit too much pep for my taste. It was very fun listening.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Sid on November 09, 2010, 09:50:09 PM
Brett Dean's music is a blend of all types of modernisms - some of it is as lush as Berg, & some as stark and pared down as Webern (though definitely not serial). The BIS cd that I saw in a shop even includes a work for chamber ensemble and electronics called Carlo. I believe it was inspired by the life of Carlo Gesualdo. An entirely instrumental work that I saw live last year called Testament, similarly dealt with how Beethoven coped with his deafness. I also saw (this year with the Australian Youth Orchestra, Sir Mark Elder conducting) his Ampitheatre, which was a colourful and quite dark piece evoking the history of buildings like the Colosseum. He's an interesting composer for sure, and quite prolific. He used to be a violist in the Berlin Philharmonic before coming back to Australia to devote more time to composition.

Another Aussie guy, but a bit older than Dean, is Barry Conygham. I haven't heard any of his more recent works (but will at a concert of the Australia Ensemble next year), but I have got on cd an old recording of his Water, Footsteps, Time for chamber ensemble and amplified instruments, which has much in common with the music of Takemitsu. Again, none of his stuff is on youtube (it appears that not everything is on youtube - yet!)...

Thanks a ton for the information. Both are added to my list of composers to hear.  :)

Philoctetes

Chaszz

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 08, 2010, 07:28:18 PM
I'm hoping that many will add to this thread. A thread solely focused on new classical compositions. But what does new mean? I'd save give it a healthy range, from the 1970s forward. Although, I'd hope for more pieces within the last decade, but I know how difficult it can be to find recordings of music that new, but I'll start us all off with Liza Lim.
Now just a minute here. Charlotte Moorman, who revolutionized the cello by playing it bare-breasted, has passed away. Now is this cello piece here more avant-garde than Charlotte or less? I say less, and I don't like seeing the avant-garde run backwards. Please concentrate on more provocative, not less provocative, works, as we march hopefully forwards. Otherwise it is too confusing, not knowing whether the real avant-garde is in front of us or behind us. For one thing, if we keep innovating backwards we may run headlong into tonality, and everyone knows that would be a disaster. For another thing, it is important not to let the bourgeoisie become complacent. We saw that this most likely caused WWI and WWII, and we certainly don't want that again.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Chaszz on November 10, 2010, 05:22:35 PM
Now just a minute here. Charlotte Moorman, who revolutionized the cello by playing it bare-breasted, has passed away. Now is this cello piece here more avant-garde than Charlotte or less? I say less, and I don't like seeing the avant-garde run backwards.

Chaszz, you shouldn't mention stuff like that unless you post a YouTube link to go with it. Just sayin'... :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Laure Colladant (Pianoforte)\ Catherine Michel (Harp) - Wölfl Op 37 Duo for Pianoforte & Harp 3rd mvmt - Rondo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 10, 2010, 05:54:28 PM
Chaszz, you shouldn't mention stuff like that unless you post a YouTube link to go with it. Just sayin'... :)

We already went down that road a few weeks back. :)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz