Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on September 08, 2011, 07:28:05 PM
For the night: Ludovico Einaudi
I hate to save something negative here, since I just did in the Art thread... (but I have to)  :-X
Did Saul compose this?  ??? ;D ;)

For some reason, I listened to it and clicked on the video to see how many views there were- and as I predicted, tons (4 million, unsurprisingly). It seems that the more tonal + sucky music is, the more popular it is.  ::) Even Saul has written better piano pieces- this sounds like one of the piano pieces he'd just write into Finale one afternoon... Therefore, I feel that he could probably be pretty successful if he marketed himself as a composer of "pretty piano songs."

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2011, 07:46:30 PM
I hate to save something negative here, since I just did in the Art thread... (but I have to)  :-X
Did Saul compose this?  ??? ;D ;)

For some reason, I listened to it and clicked on the video to see how many views there were- and as I predicted, tons (4 million, unsurprisingly). It seems that the more tonal + sucky music is, the more popular it is.  ::) Even Saul has written better piano pieces- this sounds like one of the piano pieces he'd just write into Finale one afternoon... Therefore, I feel that he could probably be pretty successful if he marketed himself as a composer of "pretty piano songs."

I replied to you in the Only the New (Art) thread. I don't think these type of threads are for folks such as yourself.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on September 10, 2011, 07:48:03 PM
I replied to you in the Only the New (Art) thread. I don't think these type of threads are for folks such as yourself.
Well, that piece didn't quite fit in at all with the other stuff. There's some good stuff in these threads, but there's also some that just make me go:  :-\.
:D

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2011, 08:02:17 PM
Well, that piece didn't quite fit in at all with the other stuff. There's some good stuff in these threads, but there's also some that just make me go:  :-\.
:D

How exactly does it not fit?

ibanezmonster

Well, for one, was that one even classical?
If this thread is just for putting up anything newly composed that's classical, then it doesn't matter. I just thought you were trying to focus on avant-garde stuff.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Well, for one, was that one even classical?
If this thread is just for putting up anything newly composed that's classical, then it doesn't matter. I just thought you were trying to focus on avant-garde stuff.

That composer is considered a contemporary classical composer.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on September 10, 2011, 08:12:31 PM
That composer is considered a contemporary classical composer.
Hmmmm.... interesting.  :D

Philoctetes

ibanezmonster

I'm just surprised. Sounds to me more like another genre of music- I don't know what it's called, but I've heard it a few places- like solo piano stuff that is meant to sound simple and "pretty." Usually, it features chord progressions that are prominent in pop music, a left hand that plays strictly bass/rhythm, and a right hand that plays strictly melody and/or straightforward scale patterns.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2011, 08:25:26 PM
I'm just surprised. Sounds to me more like another genre of music- I don't know what it's called, but I've heard it a few places- like solo piano stuff that is meant to sound simple and "pretty." Usually, it features chord progressions that are prominent in pop music, a left hand that plays strictly bass/rhythm, and a right hand that plays strictly melody and/or straightforward scale patterns.

Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and expand, what seems to be, a very a narrow conception of what is and what isn't classical music.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on September 10, 2011, 08:26:37 PM
Perhaps you should broaden your horizons and expand, what seems to be, a very a narrow conception of what is and what isn't classical music.
His wikipedia says he is a minimalist/film-score/contemporary composer.
This, maybe, can be counted as classical (barely), but you can't just call anything classical if you feel like it. If I wrote a metal song and called it a "classical work," does that make it a classical work? This is pushing it, because it sounds half-minimalist, half-pop.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Greg on September 10, 2011, 08:45:18 PM
His wikipedia says he is a minimalist/film-score/contemporary composer.
This, maybe, can be counted as classical (barely), but you can't just call anything classical if you feel like it. If I wrote a metal song and called it a "classical work," does that make it a classical work? This is pushing it, because it sounds half-minimalist, half-pop.

Well wikipedia is a very trusted soruce, isn't it?

You know you're a very boring person, Greg.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Philoctetes on September 10, 2011, 08:46:55 PM
Well wikipedia is a very trusted soruce, isn't it?

You know you're a very boring person, Greg.
What does that have to do with anything?  ???